What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bega Trial vs the Eels

Panfa

Juniors
I heard the interview with Trent Barrett talking about the bega trip and Matt Burton he seems very impressed with Burton.If I were Jerome luai I'd be worried it wouldn't have gone down well luai getting binned in the trial he has a tendency to be second man in whenever there's a scuffle.Not that I'm against a fellow player protecting a team mate but you can't afford to be binned these days costs you a try or 2 each time.Im happy either way whoever starts the season at 6 but if it were up to me I'd start Burton and leave luai on the bench where he played well last yr.Burton being a left footed kicker and more direct player would suit Cleary and the team a lot more luai tends to play off the cuff and can spark something off the bench when the middle forwards get tired.

betcats

Referee
I heard the interview with Trent Barrett talking about the bega trip and Matt Burton he seems very impressed with Burton.If I were Jerome luai I'd be worried it wouldn't have gone down well luai getting binned in the trial he has a tendency to be second man in whenever there's a scuffle.Not that I'm against a fellow player protecting a team mate but you can't afford to be binned these days costs you a try or 2 each time.Im happy either way whoever starts the season at 6 but if it were up to me I'd start Burton and leave luai on the bench where he played well last yr.Burton being a left footed kicker and more direct player would suit Cleary and the team a lot more luai tends to play off the cuff and can spark something off the bench when the middle forwards get tired.

It really feels like its a question of "when not if" Burtons gets that spot. After his debut last year I got hyped and said he will be the first choice 6 next year which was a ridiculous call at the time, even I knew that in the back of my mind but I was excited, now I think it is blindingly obvious who should get the gig if we are basing it on ability alone.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
It really feels like its a question of "when not if" Burtons gets that spot. After his debut last year I got hyped and said he will be the first choice 6 next year which was a ridiculous call at the time even I knew that in the back of my mind but I was excited, now I think it is blindingly obvious who should get the gig if we are basing it on ability alone.

I had seen plenty of him and knew he had the talent. Glad he is showing it unlike many other talents that don’t kick on

betcats

Referee
I had seen plenty of him and knew he had the talent. Glad he is showing it unlike many other talents that don’t kick on

Its what he has going on between the ears that had me excited after his debut and what still has me excited. Lots of guys have good running games and other physical tools to that should make them good halves, Burton has that plus a veteran halfs mentality at 19, you don't see that very often.

Zampaa

Juniors
The Panthers Facebook made a comment that Leniu was in the B team as he was coming back from a few smaller issues,
But it seems as if that comment has since been deleted...

Don't like the look of that at all.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Panthers Facebook made a comment that Leniu was in the B team as he was coming back from a few smaller issues,

He will get his chance even if due to injury

Crashtest

Juniors

The comments from Barrett might mean the coaching staff are more open minded about playing Burton out of position than first thought. Would be good to see how he handled some time at centre and fullback during the Bega trial.

Even if Burton does not win the race for the number six jersey, Barrett says his versatility means the 19-year old could still factor in the NRL side.

“If he doesn’t start in the six he may be in the 17 somewhere,” Barrett said.

“He can play a lot of positions too. He can play in the halves, he can play in the centres, he can play at fullback so I think he’s going to be important to us.”

franklin2323

Immortal
The comments from Barrett might mean the coaching staff are more open minded about playing Burton out of position than first thought. Would be good to see how he handled some time at centre and fullback during the Bega trial.

Even if Burton does not win the race for the number six jersey, Barrett says his versatility means the 19-year old could still factor in the NRL side.

“He can play a lot of positions too. He can play in the halves, he can play in the centres, he can play at fullback so I think he’s going to be important to us.”

last week was the time to try him at fullback. Aekins will get most of the game this week

betcats

Referee

I’d be tempted to throw him in at any spot in the backline.

franklin2323

Immortal
He can do things Aekins can only dream of though like with his kicking and play making.

This I know but they will start Aekins to see how he goes with the spine. You would think Cleary only plays 40 mins the Burton would be the half.

While I would like to see it. If it happens will be in a game situation

OldPanther

Coach
This I know but they will start Aekins to see how he goes with the spine. You would think Cleary only plays 40 mins the Burton would be the half.

While I would like to see it. If it happens will be in a game situation

Yeah Ivan has already said as much. I think Luai is at the most risk from Burton anyway fullback is a good second choice if necessary though.

John Hamblin

Juniors

I dont think it is anything too serious everthing we have previously heard tells me that he is a very level headed and decent you man

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah Ivan has already said as much. I think Luai is at the most risk from Burton anyway fullback is a good second choice if necessary though.

I think a ball player back there is a must.. either one is fine.
If not then Crichton and get him one on one with smaller guys and speed around the ruck

Latest posts