What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Believe it or not, 3 cheers for the SMH

Despite their brainless Rugby Yawnion bias, this item from today's Sin Bin section has a few things going for it:

JETS PROPELLED: Newtown's joint venture with Cronulla is paying dividends for both clubs, with the Jets equal third on the premier league table heading into tonight's match against North Sydney at North Sydney Oval.

Former NSW Waratah Ryan McGoldrick's last-minute interception stopped a try by Balmain Ryde as the Jets snatched a 36-34 win at Henson Park on Saturday.

1. No mention of "defunct". Looks like they might have finally absobed that. It only took us 14 years to get it through their thick skulls.

2. We're not called Newtown-Cronulla or any permutation thereof (Fanny Batter WILL be surprised at that). Plus, third on the table! When was the last time we were that high this far into the season? Roll on the finals!

3. A mention of McGoldrick as a defector from kick'n'clap. True, they'll figure that's why he made the catch ("Rah-rahs have better hands, you know, old bean - pass the port, Jeeves...") but maybe it gets across the message that you're better off playing our game at ANY level than the second-highest echelon of that soft-cock excuse for a contact sport.

4. Mention of Royal and Ancient Henson Park. The Jewel in the Crown of RL needs to be put into the public eye at every opportunity. Once you've seen a Jets home game at Henson you'll never want to go back to those soulless concrete holes other clubs play at.

All in all, a good little piece. It's not signed (I'm reading it on the web), but I'd happily buy a Tsingtao or three for whoever wrote it should they get up here.

Regards,
TDT-1

2 True Blues

Coach
Didnt know he played for the Waratahs. How many games did he play. :?: :?:

Are you seriously in Shanghai :?: :?:

Yes, it is Serious. Try no Jets games for starters. No Resch's. The closest thing to live footy is the Shanghai RU club, where I get to play touch.

Highlight of the year was playing with a bunch of old leaguies in the touch tournament and creaming all the 20 years younger contact Rugby types.

Very amusing watching 'em turning the ball back inside, lining out 20 metres deep and running triple criss-crosses only to find they couldn't break the line against a bunch of old farts.

Then, when we had the ball, they'd all fall over exhausted after about four rucks, so we could scoot through. T-R-Y!

They were obviously waiting for us to kick it out on the full so they could then all stand around with hands on hips and congratulate one another on their fitness. Hehehe.

Otherwise, the place is mostly odd and/or awful. Think of a Blade Runner landscape that often smells like a sewage farm.

Sigh. It's not that bad, really, but I DO miss watching the Jets from the Henson Hill (and an icy Resch's at the HPH afterwards) IMMENSELY.

NOW they do.

Remember just a few years ago when it appeared that they had decided our name was "the defunct Newtown Jets".

I can only imagine that something has changed. I suspect a few Herald journos have come down to see a home game from the hill and finally "get it".

A big help was Mr. Fitzsimon paying off on a past debt and running something for us a few years ago. It was like a floodgate opened. Now he seems happy to report favourably on us on a regular basis.

I just hope it continues. This morning's Jetettes piece was great to see.

Jeffles

Bench
It wasn't just the SMH that called Newtown defunct. Everyone did. So it wasn't a Herald problem per se.

A lot of people don't like the SMH because of Rah Rah bias etc. I understand that they have a demographic to report to etc etc.

Compare them to t5he Telegraph and you'll see more coverage of the Jets in the SMH.