What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy: Souths can win comp.

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Storm super-coach Craig Bellamy hasn't spoken to Sports Editor-at-large Phil Rothfield since his failed attempt to bring home the NRL premiership trophy from Melbourne, which was after the club was stripped of its competition points last year for salary cap rorting. All is now forgiven. Bellamy yesterday spoke exclusively to Buzz about his hopes for the Storm this year.

Rothfield: You would be more than satisfied with the team's performances this year. Were there any goals set while you were rebuilding over the off-season?

Bellamy: No. We were focused on working hard and then see what happens from there. We are pleased to be leading the premiership but there is a long way to go. It's a very, very open competition. Any number of teams can win it.

Who are the main dangers to Storm this year? Manly? Tigers? Broncos? Any others? Can the Dragons still win? Souths?

I think any of those teams can win it. Certainly St George have the players and coach and they were physical and played a semi-finals style of football against us last week. There is no doubt Souths have the momentum at present. Any of the top eight or nine can win. I reckon the top eight is as even as I can ever recall.

And I'm not just saying that. In previous years the clubs running seventh and eighth haven't been much better than the teams running ninth, 10th and 11th.

This year, whether it be Newcastle or Souths, they're close on ability to all the top sides. It's a very, very close competition. I've seen a bit of Souths.

They're going great. I watched the night they played Parramatta and they really carved them up. I watched them in the big comeback against St George Illawarra.

They've been very impressive and they've got all the momentum at the moment. Even Newcastle are a chance too. Perhaps their form has been a little bit down in the last couple of games, but they've got good players.

The fact you quit the Origin job must have helped? In hindsight, is coaching the Blues a full-time gig?

Without a doubt on both fronts. I can't count the hours I've saved. When I was coaching NSW, even before the season started, I was working on it and setting up camps and things like that. When the season starts, you spend a lot of time on video watching all the players and checking out the form.

It's obviously very time- consuming, probably a couple of months extra work. Then it's a six-week program with the three games in the middle of the season. I was fortunate to have a great support staff at Melbourne but the system with Mal and Ricky not having clubs seems to be the way to go.

Would you like another crack at Origin one day or would you be available to coach the Kangaroos if the job ever come up?

At this stage I want to do the very best job I can do for Storm. That's all that counts for the group of players I've got here at the moment. Who knows what will happen in the future. You never say never.

Chris Walker jumped on to Twitter last week and bagged your team about wrestling and slowing down the play-the-ball tactics again? I know you've heard it all before but what's your response?

We have heard it all before as you say and at this time of the year it's all very predictable. Our aim is to play football to the best of our ability every week.

Having been stripped of the premierships for salary rorts, this year's premiership must mean so much to you personally and all the players and your loyal fans?

I don't think like that. We just concentrate on what we are doing this week. Any premiership means a lot to me and to the players. I don't want to starting talking about how much it would mean because of last year. A lot of our players weren't here last year.

Whether last year happened or not, every player and every coach in the competition is playing and competing because they want to win a premiership.

I know you're not keen on looking backwards but I do have to ask a couple of questions about last year? Did the NRL overreact? Is it true you almost quit? Have you forgiven David Gallop?

As you say, we are not keen on looking backwards. It's not going to help our cause this year if we start talking about last season. One day, maybe towards the end of my career, I'll have a bit more to say.

Of all the players you had to let go, who was the hardest to release?

They were all hard. They all did a tremendous job for this club and will always be fondly remembered by everyone at this club.

What are your thoughts on the refereeing standards this year? The Dragons try came from a blatant forward pass last week? Do two refs work? Should the guys in the video box help with forward passes?

Refereeing is a tough job and unfortunately they can't please everybody. I think two are better than one. I definitely think the video ref should be able to help with forward pass decisions on tries.

The more help we get with these the better for the game. Everyone wants to see the best football teams winning and anything that can be done to help our referees should be looked at.

What did you think of the Issac Luke "dive" in the Souths-Cowboys match?

I didn't see that game, we played at the same time.

What's it like coaching Billy Slater and Cameron Smith? Many believe Cam Smith is the best player in the NRL. Many believe Billy is the greatest fullback of all time. Have you got an opinion?

They are a pleasure to be around. Absolute professionals. We've been together for a while now and they are both the best players in their positions I have ever seen.

This Pommy five-eighth Gareth Widdop looks outstanding. How good can he be?

He is an outstanding player, great footwork, outstanding game sense and again, a terrific young guy. He's tough too! A very valuable player for us.

Your old assistant Stephen Kearney is struggling to avoid the wooden spoon at Parramatta. Have you stayed in contact? He's obviously a better coach than that.

We have a chat now and again. It's obviously been a tough year for him. He's an excellent coach and I'm sure that will be evident in the near future. He has a wonderful record with the Kiwis. Hopefully it will start to turn around a bit for him next season.

This Manly game could be the match of the year. Is it a battle of tactics between you and Des Hasler? How do you rate him as a coach? Do you see any parallels in how he's lifted Manly and how you've saved Storm?

It should be a great contest. Des is obviously a great football coach. His team is very competitive, well organised and always very tough to beat. You know you are in a contest when you play a Des Hasler-coached team.

How good is this Manly team with Brett Stewart back this year, Watmough, Lyon and Foran?

They are playing great as a team and they have a number of very good players who are in good form. It's going to be a great game of footy.

Of all the coaches in the NRL, you seem to get most agitated whenever a TV camera is on the Storm coaching box. Do you get your blood pressure regularly checked? Do the players gee you up about it?

I probably should get it checked more often and yes, the players often get into me about it. That's just me and the emotion of coaching.

You live in an AFL town? How do you think they'll go in Sydney's west next year with the new team?

They will put whatever resources and time is needed to make GWS successful. The AFL leave no stone unturned to make non-Victorian teams successful. Western Sydney provides a bit of a bigger challenge than the previous new teams, but I wouldn't underestimate the AFL.

Is the independent commission a good thing for rugby league?

Yes, it sure is. It's definitely the right way forward.

You're under contract until the end of 2013? Will you do a Wayne Bennett and stay two decades? Will you be looking for new challenges?

Two years is a long time, especially in rugby league and who knows what the future brings. I'll just say this. I love being at Melbourne and I really enjoy working with the players we have at the moment.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...from-eighth-spot/story-e6frexnr-1226121609722

Latest posts