What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hannant

Kiwi

First Grade
Just wondering when he is off contract, he hasn't had a very good few years, in fact I would say his last 3 have been ordinary compared to his standard, or the standard he should be playing. He has clearly lost his starting spot because of it, and there have been whispers of him heading to the Titans. I can't say I think it would be a bad thing if he left to be honest. Would mean guys like J Wallace ( who I think has had more impact the Hannant this year when played ) would get more game time.

If I was selecting the side for this week, Hannant wouldn't be there, J Wallace would be.

Would any Bronco fans still keep Hannant at the club given the choice?

ranga68

Juniors
Just wondering when he is off contract, he hasn't had a very good few years, in fact I would say his last 3 have been ordinary compared to his standard, or the standard he should be playing. He has clearly lost his starting spot because of it, and there have been whispers of him heading to the Titans. I can't say I think it would be a bad thing if he left to be honest. Would mean guys like J Wallace ( who I think has had more impact the Hannant this year when played ) would get more game time.

If I was selecting the side for this week, Hannant wouldn't be there, J Wallace would be.

Would any Bronco fans still keep Hannant at the club given the choice?

Benny still has a lot to offer, he is still very competitive. and he also helps the younger members. both on and off the field. I hope he stays very nice bloke and family and a dam good football player. should drop either glen or gillett out of the starting side, put ben at starting and corey back to lock. Ben is better value than an over priced kennedy

lockyno1

Post Whore
Depends on the price, 250-340k you would keep him, Wallace isn't as good as Hannant

MacDougall

First Grade
Broncos are mad for treating Hannant this way. He's a tireless cornerstone of the pack. He's a huge player. Can't understand this thread or the Broncos.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hook has a very specific plan for the club.

1. Don't give promising players an opportunities.
2. Play people out of position as much as possible.
3. Demote players who are going well.

Ben Hannant doesn't fit in there anywhere, therefore must go. I expect, if the past is any indication, we'll sign a prop one year out of their retirement, play them in the second row, and then one of our promising second rowers out of frustration will move to ... Cronulla or Manly perhaps.

It's all part of the Griffin/Gee plan.

Snappy

Coach
I'm a big fan of the Polar Bear. Yes his form has been down on his 2012 form, but still a valuable member of the team IMO. He was our best prop last game against the Rabbitohs. His experience really came through in the game and he kept turning up when really needed.

Sadly im resigned to losing him at end of season. Like Dazza said, watch us pick up some second rate nuffie as a replacement.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes Snappy, the great thing about the Hook/Gee Plan is that you lose promising players and you only get one year out of developed players.

You'll never have a problem with the salary cap of course, because everyone knows that as young players develop, and improve, they ask for more money (and we wouldn't want that), and old hacks past their prime usually settle for a discounted salary.

Then Hook can hire more coaching staff with the left over cash. Perfect plan!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I guess the one thing Hook had going for him (if not the only?) is that he was a good man manager has gone out the window now.

oikee

Juniors
Against Souths a few weeks ago, Hannant was the only guy making any metres.
Time for Griffith to go, why do people think he is a coach. The club did not replace Lockyer, they now have a winger at five/eight, Barba's head is not in the rght place, probably wonders what he has got himself into with farmer Griff as coach.
Sack griffith and find a real coach, maybe Kevin Walters.

Dazzat

First Grade
Agreed. When one of the most senior forwards is dropped with no explanation, after he was the stand-out performer in the last game, one thing is for sure - the coach has lost the plot.

The coach - not the player - should be the bigger man and build bridges. I can't imagine Hannant has been dropped for an all-night binge or a sex romp on social media. He's a seasoned performer.

If Griffin drops Hannant, he owes the Brisbane fans an explanation. Why? Because he needs a GOOD REASON to drop Hannant, and if that reason isn't going to pass the pub test, then it isn't a reason.

Due to the team's reasonable position on the table, Griffin may have just saved his skin for another year. Pity.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I'm a big fan of the Polar Bear. Yes his form has been down on his 2012 form, but still a valuable member of the team IMO. He was our best prop last game against the Rabbitohs. His experience really came through in the game and he kept turning up when really needed.

Sadly im resigned to losing him at end of season. Like Dazza said, watch us pick up some second rate nuffie as a replacement.

Not this time. We bought the nuffie in advance and a spare just in case. Kennedy Lowrie.

Dazzat

First Grade
Todd Lowrie consistently being chosen in front of Glanville is an absolute disgrace. Two years from now, will the club be grateful for Lowrie's services? Or would we be more grateful for the development of a very promising dummy half runner.

Lowrie - just another player living off the fact that he once played for Melbourne.

Big Pete

Referee
While I'm not a fan of Lowrie, I didn't mind the selection.

He's taken the Mitchell Dodds' spot as the 18th man for the club, somebody you can call in and know they're going to be able to perform a job for you. Against a pack like the Cowboys, it's better to have a player who can defend the ruck and play long minutes if needed than a cameo player - especially when the bench had another cameo player in David Hala on it.

I like Granville, but he's a horses for courses type player and with McCullough beginning to hit his stride, I struggle to place him in the team.

There should also be a rule about 'blooding' players. If you can't spell their names correctly, you have no right to be critical of the coach for not selecting them.

Dazzat

First Grade
The "horses for courses" theory about GRANVILLE (not sure misplacing a letter disqualifies me from having an opinion, but I'll push forward anyway), is probably correct considering Griffin's direction he's taking the team.

The only trouble is, I don't know of anyone who actually articulate where the team is going. Just watching the Bulldogs. You can see where the coach is going - an emphasis on power forwards up the middle.

You couldn't say that Griffin is positioning the team for a power game by dropping Hannant and playing Kennedy. And by not selecting Glanville - well that takes out the opportunity for the Broncos to play the nipping "catching the big forward out" in the middle of the ruck.

By not picking Glanville and having four forwards, we have no impact towards the end of each half.

A coach who doesn't know what he's doing will having his tactics dictated more by the opposition than his own instincts.

As for McCullough ... Cam Smith is also a 80 minute player, but has shared the role with Ryan Hinchcliffe with great success. There is no substitute for fresh legs, and if those legs have the capacity to put pressure on the big forwards in the middle, then its something the coach should be looking at - consistently.

Big Pete

Referee
GRANVILLE (not sure misplacing a letter disqualifies me from having an opinion, but I'll push forward anyway)

It screams of ignorance and to be fair, you've been called on it in the past.

This isn't really about Granville being a permanent member of the side. I believe he can play the odd game here and there, but right now, McCullough is really coming on as an 80 minute player and the team is benefiting as a result. This is about the idea of an 18th man and what role they should play. I think they should be reliable and with Dodds out injured, I believe Lowrie is the right option at this time.

Dazzat

First Grade
It screams of ignorance and to be fair, you've been called on it in the past.

This isn't really about Granville being a permanent member of the side. I believe he can play the odd game here and there, but right now, McCullough is really coming on as an 80 minute player and the team is benefiting as a result. This is about the idea of an 18th man and what role they should play. I think they should be reliable and with Dodds out injured, I believe Lowrie is the right option at this time.

As an ex-journalist and 11 years an editor of a magazine, I can tell you that spelling mistakes don't "scream" ignorance. They are just spelling mistakes - we all make them.

Dazzat

First Grade
Todd Lowrie - 6 runs for 34 metres and nine tackles against the Cowboys.

Not worth the plane fare to North Queensland I'd say.

Big Pete

Referee
As a journalist you would also respect that constantly misspelling a person's name is a big no-no for the exact reason I listed.

One thing to make a simple spelling mistake, another to keep constantly making the same mistake over and over again and in the same sentence bag somebody else out.

Dazzat

First Grade
This is an internet forum, not a printed publication. Please Pete ... chill out with the spelling. Do you pull up everyone on this forum who makes spelling mistakes? Or just those who may have an opinion that differs from yours.

I have a good friend who is a Warriors fan ... and I can tell you he is very relieved that Lowrie no longer plays for his team.

I feel like a broken record, but the future of the club is not with a journeyman like Lowrie. We are NOT developing young players and the result will be years in the wilderness if it is not addressed.