What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Henry

Vic Mackey

Referee
Seems to be one of these guys that's 100kgs 6'2, and mobile so coaches think 'he must be a good rugby league player' but really doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

Plenty of them going around but he seems to stand out for mine.

Are coaches/scouts looking more for body types/athletes as opposed to kids with genuine rugby league skills these days?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Seems to be one of these guys that's 100kgs 6'2, and mobile so coaches think 'he must be a good rugby league player' but really doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

Are coaches/scouts looking more for body types/athletes as opposed to kids with genuine rugby league skills these days?
Yep. Because the former you know when you see it, the latter is a lot harder to pick out.

It's the biggest problem affecting modern rugby league. Big guys and athletes are prized ahead of footballers.

Red Bear

Referee
Helps when you stand out in 20's being an athlete, because you're playing against kids, so you get signed on promise, and then arent that good in first grade.

Was interesting to see the Warriors acknowledging they needed to use the NSW cup better in their development of players than the 20's, because having so many talented kids this year did not help them much.

andrew057

First Grade

Huh? Ben Henry will be a very good first grader in a few seasons. He's a back rower and was plugged in at centre to fill a gap the Warriors had.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Without a doubt Vic. Thats why everybody plays the same. Footballers, rather than athletes dont get a look in these days if they dont meet the criteria.

Josh Reynolds at the Dogs is a perfect example of why this shouldn't be the case.

Its lowest common denominator stuff and I reckon they've got it wrong as a whole. Look at Moga at the Roosters. He's not a first graders arsehole. He's selfish and he's lazy. But boy, is he big and quick.

Jamie Lyon makes these types look the mindless clones that they are.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Without a doubt Vic. Thats why everybody plays the same. Footballers, rather than athletes dont get a look in these days if they dont meet the criteria.

Josh Reynolds at the Dogs is a perfect example of why this shouldn't be the case.

Its lowest common denominator stuff and I reckon they've got it wrong as a whole. Look at Moga at the Roosters. He's not a first graders arsehole. He's selfish and he's lazy. But boy, is he big and quick.

Jamie Lyon makes these types look the mindless clones that they are.

unfortunately, you'd be about right. Terrible attitude at the moment for an 18 year old, he should be jumping at the opportunity

BunniesMan

Immortal
Warriors think every young player they have is a superstar.

You people can't differentiate between athletes and footballers. That's why you haven't won any premierships yet despite having an entire country to harvest.

Rugby Union caters to athletes, just being big helps you dominate that game. League needs footballers with footballer dna and a footballers brain. Because Kiwis grow up playing Union many of them just end up flaming out in the NRL. If Benji stayed in NZ he wouldn't have been half the player he was here.

Melbourne and Manly have dominated the modern NRL. Look at their cores. Slater, Smith, Cronk, Foran, DCE, Stewart, Stewart.

There is varying levels of athleticism in that group but they all have elite footballing brains and that's why they took their teams to many premierships.

Clubs should stop just buying the biggest and the fastest, they should actually watch multiple games and look for players with a natural instinct for the game.

GeorgieRose

Juniors
Agree with Ben Henry being a promising back rower. Most young back rowers that are quick enough are blooded in the back line to ease them in the more phyical 1st grade.I have seen a number of young blokes play 2nd row get beaten up this year (one Newcastle player stands out) and not sure its good for long jeopardy playing them in so close to the ruck.

ozbash

Referee

You people can't differentiate between athletes and footballers. That's why you haven't won any premierships yet despite having an entire country to harvest.

Rugby Union caters to athletes, just being big helps you dominate that game. League needs footballers with footballer dna and a footballers brain. Because Kiwis grow up playing Union many of them just end up flaming out in the NRL. If Benji stayed in NZ he wouldn't have been half the player he was here.

Melbourne and Manly have dominated the modern NRL. Look at their cores. Slater, Smith, Cronk, Foran, DCE, Stewart, Stewart.

There is varying levels of athleticism in that group but they all have elite footballing brains and that's why they took their teams to many premierships.

Clubs should stop just buying the biggest and the fastest, they should actually watch multiple games and look for players with a natural instinct for the game.

Lol, classic stuff, BM. :lol:

Didgi

The thing is, unless you're a giant or just too destructive (Tariq and JT3 spring to mind for obvious reasons) if you haven't finished developing you're going to get destroyed in the pack. Benry will move in after a solid, if up and down year and turn out to be a very good player.

eozsmiles

Bench
The thing is that good small men are no good without good big men. Or even just big men. Good small men are only good when they have the ball. When they don't have the ball they are targets. Lots of people talk about the lack of skilful players in the game nowadays but they are only of value when you have the ball.
And the game is so technical and close now that the small men get spotted up so easily. It's not like having Sterlo in the second line with the 5 metre rule. There is a reason teams have to prize size and strength over skill. You can't have too many targets in your defensive line.

Packy

Bench
Ben Henry and Alex Glenn could go on to be a fantastic back row partnership for NZ for a very long time.

jamaman

Juniors
And we have won back to back U20 GFs?
unlike your club we look after them. and not look for BiG Superstars to win a GF! and which you have waited 50yrs for! :lol:

Rugby Union caters to athletes, just being big helps you dominate that game.

What alot of Sheet! ..many of the top guys come from playing junior League...If it wasn't for the $$$ they would be playing League :crazy:

Iafeta

Referee

Geez, I would have thought Ben was one of the least likely looking Warriors NYC backrowers in some time to be perfectly honest. He's not that big, he's not that quick, he's not that skillful to be blunt. I think if anything he's the opposite of what you're describing - a player who knows his limitations and plays within them. To me he's more your Wairangi Koopu type player, solid, will do a job, but will never really excel.

For those describing a future Kiwis captain or backrower for some time, I've got to say I really don't see it. Future kiwis backrowers for mine are blokes like Jason Taumololo and Josh Papalii, now they are both extremely good athletes.

Red Bear

Referee
The thing is, unless you're a giant or just too destructive (Tariq and JT3 spring to mind for obvious reasons) if you haven't finished developing you're going to get destroyed in the pack. Benry will move in after a solid, if up and down year and turn out to be a very good player.
I think this is sort of where reserve grade is extremely important, it gives forwards somewhere to develop for an extra year or two, get used to the physicality (which just isnt there in 20's) and show they'll be right for first grade.

Iafeta

Referee
I think this is sort of where reserve grade is extremely important, it gives forwards somewhere to develop for an extra year or two, get used to the physicality (which just isnt there in 20's) and show they'll be right for first grade.

Yep, and boy, didn't the Warriors find this out first hand this year! Massive step to make from NYC to first grade, they're not built like Inglis/Falou... it takes time.

shiznit

Coach

:lol:

Wow... that has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever seen on this board...

just to inform you clown... RL is actually known as the game that caters for athletes... because of the lack of emphasis on the set piece RL players need to have better cardio and more speed.

i never thought id have to explain that to someone on these forums... :roll:

Latest posts