What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt's kicking game .... FAAAARK

John moz

Juniors
Useless again no last play option from hunt looks to blame someone else in the team
2nd half in games this year all comes down to the captain and no 7 has no idea to win games . The game today v sharks was another missed opportunity on a win .
This will not change if we give the kicking duties to flanno and move hunt to no 6 .

Hunt's kicking game was passable in other years but it's gotten progressively worse the last few seasons and now it is at the point where its untenable and he has lost all confidence. You can see it.

His inability to make the right options and execute at least a dozen times this game really accentuated our hapless attack and, given this, his pay grade does arouse anger for the fan on the hill. I don't question his general efforts as a player but this is just a fundamental weakness in his game and he is not likely to turn it around now.

The question is: what do we actually do about it? It has been week after week. Has the coach's son got a boot on him with a basket of tricks?

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Hunt's kicking game is so frustrating, but his overall game management is pretty average. He always seems to rush his decisions and he never seems to have time. When the best half-backs are in form, they always look like they have time.

He laid on a good pass for Rava's try.. but they never really tried to attack the weakness that was Mulitalo rushing in. He doesn't trust Iro yet and that should be exploited as much as possible until the sharks try to compensate. After which, you attack the point they weaken to strengthen that side.

There were a couple of times in the game where he played short on a crash line (bad idea in the wet) when he had Sloan out the back with an overlap.

Honestly, Hunt doesn't generate any sort of time or space for Sloan, always putting him under pressure. KFlan... He isn't a 6. He either needs control of the team, or back to 14 for you. So uncreative as a ball player, no idea what his kicking game is like given he never gets a chance and he always cramps in on his side's tram lines. If Leilua comes back, it might hide some of his weaknesses given Leilua is a pretty good ball player. I don't know what the spine make up should be, but what it is now, isn't going to work in the long run. They have already been figured out. Don't worry about KFlan, pressure Hunt into poor decisions, make Liddle tackle all day and jam in Sloan.

LKT looks like a decent prospect, no idea about his kicking game though.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
He gets this right and we win today. His kicking game sux balls and probably the worst kicking game from a halfback in years
This is our biggest downfall, the kicks were lame and simple to diffuse/manage and this puts our team under pressure and on the back foot all game long. Hunt is a liability, I am in little doubt. Flannagan and Griffin before him seem to think he is their only hope. Griffin fell, we continue to lose most matches, yet Hunt still kicks almost exclusively. The best kick we have done in decades was Zac Lomax's 40m field goal against the Warriors...could Hunt have even got close?

Gomarchin

Juniors
This is our biggest downfall, the kicks were lame and simple to diffuse/manage and this puts our team under pressure and on the back foot all game long. Hunt is a liability, I am in little doubt. Flannagan and Griffin before him seem to think he is their only hope. Griffin fell, we continue to lose most matches, yet Hunt still kicks almost exclusively. The best kick we have done in decades was Zac Lomax's 40m field goal against the Warriors...could Hunt have even got close?
I bet Lomax has a better kicking game then Hunt (at least long range).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt is a coach killer. He ended the careers of Mary & Griffin and will do the same to Flanno if he does not act quick enough.

Hunt said he wants an extension and it has not been done yet. Maybe Flanno has realised and is not in a ruch to extend. That can he his only hope.

If Hunt played in a team against Saints he would not really have them shaking in their boots as he seems easy to unsettle seeing ever team seems to do it regularly these days.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yep give someone else a go ...... I can't remember the last time he got us repeated sets ...... The guys a Clayton's 7......
Said it before but Hunt should be playing at 9 where we may get some real value out of him. Liddell is ok but he doesn't play 80 at the required intensity for a 9. He can play a good 20-30 though while relieving Hunt. Nothing has convinced me Hunt can lead us into the finals at 7, nothing has much convinced me he should be captain either but thats a bigger question. Have we got any other options for a 7 currently who can bring home a close game like all 7's should? Anyone who can stop a grubber in the in goal?

Latest posts