What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Jeffery

I was away over the summer so I probably missed the announcement of his signing.

Can somebody fill me in as to why was he let go by Saints?

Wasn't he a star in their premiership Flegg side last year? Wes Naiqama, Colin Best, Morris & Simmonds don't exactly create formidible competition for a wing spot.

Then again, maybe Tigers made a large offer. That just seems uncharacteristic of our club's shrewd and miserly approach to recruitment. In any event, even if we paid overs for such a young guy I'm certain that he will justify his price.

Wicks

Juniors
He was the star of Illawarra Sg Ball team not Jersey Flegg He played about 10 Jersey Flegg games

A first grade training spot and likely a lot more money We were not short of wingers and fullbacks above him but disappointing to lose him

colonel_123

Juniors
Wests offered an S. G. Ball aged player who'd played a handful of Flegg games, mostly off the bench, a spot in our 25 man first grade squad.

It's no wonder the Dragons could not compete...

In the end the move paid off, he's been a revelation in premier league and looks like he may be able to make the step up to first grade.

Wicks said:
He was the star of Illawarra Sg Ball team not Jersey Flegg He played about 10 Jersey Flegg games

A first grade training spot and likely a lot more money We were not short of wingers and fullbacks above him but disappointing to lose him

Yeah, I thought he was an Illawara product.

Cheers for the info.

How many St George Illawara young guns have been fast-tracked into to first grade this year?? Wicks, Morris, Millard, Lewis, Ndaira, Leaeno, Te Maari, Jeffery... An amazing source of talent. Apart from Lewis & Leaeno (inner-west- Maggies junior?) are the rest local juniors as well?

Vicious

Bench
Ben Jeffrey is from Griffith via Illawarra. Whoever made the decision to sign him straight into our top 25 is a genius, very unlike the Wests Tigers of the past thank god!!!

Wicks

Juniors
TV Ted Ellery said:
How many St George Illawara young guns have been fast-tracked into to first grade this year?? Wicks, Morris, Millard, Lewis, Ndaira, Leaeno, Te Maari, Jeffery... An amazing source of talent. Apart from Lewis & Leaeno (inner-west- Maggies junior?) are the rest local juniors as well?

As Vicious says he is from Griffith Jeffery is the only fast-tracked one the others would have been expected to play first grade Wicks is from Grafton Te Maari is from Perth Lewis from Leichhardt Ndaira Millard and Leaeno from St George Morris (one of twins) from Illawarra

Not a fair representation of the numbers in the three grades but those are the players who came through this year Most of the players come from St George Cronulla Illawarra/South Coast

parra pete

Referee
Vicious said:
Ben Jeffrey is from Griffith via Illawarra. Whoever made the decision to sign him straight into our top 25 is a genius, very unlike the Wests Tigers of the past thank god!!!

I predicted on these forums TWO years ago this kid would be a star.
He was sensational when he was at Griffith OFTEN playing 18s, reserve and first grade on the same day and scoring a swag of tries.
I watched him in a NSW V Qld game in Brisbane at SOO in 2004.
From memory he played fullback and scored a couple of tries and kicked a bag of goals. Jarryd Hayne was on one wing for NSW and scored four tries capitalising on great work from Michael Lett, a centre from the Roosters who had a mighty game that night. What has happened to Mick Lett??
Greg Inglis was Qld fullback that night.
Wests have looked after Ben..He will repay their faith many times over..He will be a great player in 2007 and beyond. He's pretty good now for that matter........

Bench
parra pete said:
I predicted on these forums TWO years ago this kid would be a star.
He was sensational when he was at Griffith OFTEN playing 18s, reserve and first grade on the same day and scoring a swag of tries.
I watched him in a NSW V Qld game in Brisbane at SOO in 2004.
From memory he played fullback and scored a couple of tries and kicked a bag of goals. Jarryd Hayne was on one wing for NSW and scored four tries capitalising on great work from Michael Lett, a centre from the Roosters who had a mighty game that night. What has happened to Mick Lett??
Greg Inglis was Qld fullback that night.
Wests have looked after Ben..He will repay their faith many times over..He will be a great player in 2007 and beyond. He's pretty good now for that matter........
Thanks for the heads up Pete,hope your right we have seen enough of Fitzy to last a life time.

Estoboy

Juniors
as i said in another thread:

Benji who?

more like:
BenJeffery

he is a freak. A 109m try I saw him score against Penrith PL infront of 300 at Leichhardt earlier this year (one of three tries that night) highlighted how good he is.