What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Jeffries??

Ben Jeffries wasntt hat bad he at least could find space unlike some of the other 1/2's we had he could break the line too good backup i think but i doubt its him

Jack Holmes

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Jefferies had a brilliant kicking game and sound running game. It was his passing and organising that seemed to let him down. I always thought he had potential. He was better then Withers.

It is him and as a back up half back he is a great signing.

As Tiger Nick says he has a great kicking game and playing in a much stronger side than when he was last at the club, he'll more than hold his own.

Looking at the squads on the NSWRL forum, Balmain Ryde are going to be very hard to beat in PL in 2006.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Jack Holmes said:
It is him and as a back up half back he is a great signing.

As Tiger Nick says he has a great kicking game and playing in a much stronger side than when he was last at the club, he'll more than hold his own.

Looking at the squads on the NSWRL forum, Balmain Ryde are going to be very hard to beat in PL in 2006.

I thought it was the Ben Jefferies from the Dragons who has yet to play in the NRL or for the Wests Tigers before

I thought it was the Ben Jefferies from the Dragons who has yet to play in the NRL or for the Wests Tigers before

maybe ask on the dragons forum cause im sure its the dragons Ben Jeffries i mean we have both Chase/Nowland and Renyolds where would Jeffries fit??

brook

First Grade
joel caine number 1 fan said:
maybe ask on the dragons forum cause im sure its the dragons Ben Jeffries i mean we have both Chase/Nowland and Renyolds where would Jeffries fit??

and Caldwell who, assuming he regains pre-injury form, will almost certainly finish the year playing above his age

Jeffries wouldn't fit - but neither did Reynolds and that didn't prevent us from signing him (and it seems to have come at the expense of the very talented ranald shultz) so I don't underestimate the stupidity behind our recruiting policy.

Having said that it does appear its a different Ben Jeffries - and thank god for that!

Vicious

Bench
The Ben Jeffries signed by the Wests Tigers is originally from Griffith and has spent the last couple of seasons as a stand out in Illawarra/St George-Illawarra`s junior rep sides. He was even good enough to start a couple of games towards the end of this season as fullback for the Dragons premiership winning Jersey Flegg side. He`s still only 18, can play anywhere in the backline including in the halves and is regarded as a huge talent, so much so that he`s been graded in the Premier League side at 18 years of age.

innsaneink

Referee
Vicious said:
The Ben Jeffries signed by the Wests Tigers is originally from Griffith and has spent the last couple of seasons as a stand out in Illawarra/St George-Illawarra`s junior rep sides. He was even good enough to start a couple of games towards the end of this season as fullback for the Dragons premiership winning Jersey Flegg side. He`s still only 18, can play anywhere in the backline including in the halves and is regarded as a huge talent, so much so that he`s been graded in the Premier League side at 18 years of age.

Ben Jeffrey

Wobbygong

First Grade
You blokes are correct.

I think you guys were originally talking about another Ben Jeffries (halfback / 5/8th) the one EA is referring to played at Newcastle, Saints and Wests and then went to the UK he was very ordinary, this other Ben Jeffries is one of the Dragons juniors from this year, he's a reasonably good young winger / centre, but was let go to make way for some of the other better Jersey Flegg blokes signed by the Dragons like the Morris twins, Beau Ryan, Willie Tupou, Te Maari, Keith et al.

From memory he was on the bench in the GF.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Tim Brasher

Juniors
He never played in the GF. He played SG Ball at the beginning of the year and played a number of games in Flegg both starting at Fullback and on the bench. He can also play wing. He is a great signing and an indication that our club is on the way up, attracting talented young players from strong clubs

Palms

Juniors
Tim Brasher said:
He never played in the GF. He played SG Ball at the beginning of the year and played a number of games in Flegg both starting at Fullback and on the bench. He can also play wing. He is a great signing and an indication that our club is on the way up, attracting talented young players from strong clubs

Totally agree Tim Brasher....ahhhhhhh! Its Ben Jeffrie for starters, no s, also we lack depth in our backline and if we can develop another promising young player, and lets face it tim sheens has a nack for spotting them, he will be a damn good buy - cheap as well!

Alot of you guys are way too quick to jump the gun before you know the facts!

westie

Bench
Sheens has a knack for spotting them? Who besides McGann, Saffy and a bunch of Ruskis has he brought in that's done any good? Saff goes good... McGann was rubbish though.

Palms

Juniors
mate youve pulled out a 2 names..I didnt say imported, I said spotting talent..look at our current squad right now and then tell me how many people thought these guys could of won a premiership this year. Sure they were all 'young guns' but everyteam has them..sheens saw they had talent and then coach them accordingly to bring the talent out. On Saffy, good player, hes been playing league for one year and is now in our top squad, watch this year out before you bag him.

Prince, Marshall, Whatauira, Richards, Hodgeson..should I go on. The rest are juniors..Think before you talk

Mighty Tiger

Bench
westie said:
Sheens has a knack for spotting them? Who besides McGann, Saffy and a bunch of Ruskis has he brought in that's done any good? Saff goes good... McGann was rubbish though.

2 obvious ones I can think of straight away would be

Benji for 1 was spotted not via KP but at a touch footy comp that Sheens attend up at North QLD, When Benji made his NRL Debut his touch footy teammates and coach who were sitting next to me and brook said that Sheens spotted him and made an offer on the spot

Rhino was spotted via a CC trial game which Sheens, Moons, Kelly and Sheppo atteneded towards the end of 2002 to try and pick like usual some boys from the bush to Balmain, he was sent out a trial pack, trialled for Balmain and was given a contract

Not forgetting that it was his idea to start the ties with KP as well which also at the same time arranged for Chase and Moa to be put on school programes after Benji, and because of this players like Teo and Herman have come to the club as well - these players we will see in time if Sheens was right

What Sheens is good at is coaching and developing young players to perform the best they can and you can't ask for any more proof than what he did for the Wests Tigers this season, especially the what he did for your fav player Dene Halatau

girvie

Staff member
Mighty Tiger said:
Rhino was spotted via a CC trial game which Sheens, Moons, Kelly and Sheppo atteneded towards the end of 2002 to try and pick like usual some boys from the bush to Balmain, he was sent out a trial pack, trialled for Balmain and was given a contract
He had been playing for the Bears.

parra pete

Referee
Vicious said:

Krect..His name is Ben JEFFREY> He is from Griffith and he is A GUN. Played NSW Under 17 at Lang Park in 2004 before State of Origin. I think kicked a swag of goals plus a couple of tries. He regularly played 16s 18s second and first grade on the same day when he was in Griffith.
The kid has been with Illawarra. He is a GREAT signing for the Tigers. Will be a sensation..Mark my words....

tiger_nick

Bench
girvie said:
He had been playing for the Bears.

Yeah I remember reading an article when we signed him interviewing Greg Florimo who gave him massive wraps. Said he was one of the best trainers he had ever seen and had all the makings of a star. He was sad to see him go but understood he couldnt go any further with The Bears.

I saw him in our first trial against London Broncos in Januray 2003 (same game Benji debuted) for a combined PL team and he was the best player on the field for mine!

Vicious

Bench
There is a Ben Jeffries named in BRET`s Premier League squad and also Ben Jeffery named in the Wests Tigers top squad. I think we have now established that Ben Jefffery named in the top squad is the young fella from Griffith via St George-Illawarra, but i`m still confused as to who is the Ben Jeffries named for BRET??? The ex Wests Tigers halfback who`s been playing in the English Super League comes to mind, but why would he leave being paid good money as a starting halfback in the Super League to come back and be graded as a Premier League player behind Scott Prince and Ben Reynolds??? That doesn`t make any sense, hense the reason i don`t think it`s the player in question, but who is it and where is he from???
I`m thinking that it`s a misunderstanding and/or misprint and that there is in fact only 1 Ben Jeffery at the Wests Tigers in season `2006.

innsaneink

Referee
Would be 10000/1 to have 3 different players with the same name at the club in the space of a few years.

westie

Bench
Saff is a talent. And I believe he is the only one with much of a future that Sheens "spotted". Spotting ex-origin fullbacks and NZ internationals is not, IMO, that hard.

Phil; the Benji story is contrary to all those we've heard before.