What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Matulino = shoulder of granite

nonymyz

Juniors
What is aggression in rugby league if not smashing blokes in defence and constantly charging into and through the opposition forwards with ball in hand? Does he need to play with a certain facial expression or randomly start fights and give away penalties to become a better player? FMD

So aggression can only be expressed through ones face and through fisticuffs? Come on now. The aggression I speak of, would be beneficial to the player and his team. And would be properly harnessed of course.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Exactly. Add aggression and he becomes #1 IMO. Even with the lack of aggression, he still puts Hannant and Thaiday on thier backside and never seems to be dominated in the tackle or the ensuing wrestle. Quick play the ball almost every time.

What's aggression? Surely smashing Hannant and Thaiday is aggression? He hits the line hard every single time, isn't that aggression? What's aggression? Swearing at blokes? Starting fights? That's not aggression, that's grub. Don't confuse the two.

Matulino is the form prop, apart from Scott. As someone said, doesn't get the plaudits because he's a Warriors player but he's been consistently brilliant for us and the Kiwis for the last year and a half. Kudos to Cleary too for changing him from a second-rower who just wanted to put shots on to being a prop who never shirks hard work. Plus big ups to Matulino for kicking the booze this year.

I think what people are saying is that he seems to be a chilled out customer who can put on the big hits and make metres while keeping a cool demeanor.

He appears relaxed, some might be confusing it for complacency or lack of fire, thinking he could improve still if he had a bit of rage, on the basis that everything he does looks like it's being done halfheartedly.

His face is the problem. If he ran the ball with a Wiki or Vatuvei face this topic of "aggression" wouldn't be brought up

hitman82

Bench
I think Matulino's calm expression actually makes him scarier. The guy has a neck tattoo - doesn't really need to try and look more dangerous haha.

Barbanator

Juniors
Had a laugh during the Anzac test when Rabs said something like "He's not the type of player you'd expect to be playing international rugby league for New Zealand" Sterlo was quick to jump in and give him the raps he deserves though, gun player.

Red Bear

Referee
He was quality last year as well, he's had to lead the pack more this season with Rapira and Lillyman missing footy so probably stood out a bit more but he;s hardly gone from a nobody to quality overnight.

Warmess

Juniors
I wouldn't take any other prop over Matulino. Best part about him is that he's only 24 (or 25) so he has many years left to develop and become something even more devastating.

Sometimes I enjoy how much Warriors players fly under the radar, sometimes it's a little annoying, you want the players to get the wraps they deserve.

Meth

Staff member
Master stroke of Cleary to shift him (and Lillyman) to prop. Their careers were floundering somewhat in the second row.

Highflyers

Juniors
How bout his go forward metres gained and quick play the ball... He always kept the warriors on the front foot when he carried the ball... I dont remember seeing any mistakes in his game against Broncos either

betcats

Referee
He will be the best prop in the game in a couple of seasons imo, he is already pushing it. Love the calm controlled aggression he plays with, hits and runs like a steam train but without the dumb meathead penalties. I did see him fire up after one tackle, i think at Ben Hannant(he was at marker anyway) but he either didnt notice or pretended not to notice.