What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji’s bid

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji’s bid

By MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
Dec. 11, 2015, 3:59 p.m.

HAVING thrived under his revamped playing style Benji Marshall has vowed to be a more selfish player as he mulls over a one-year contract extension at St George Illawarra while continuing his comeback from ankle surgery.
And Marshall is determined to play at least another four years as he approaches his 14th season in the NRL with the 30-year-old's contract expiring at the end of 2016. Discussions have started with Dragons coach Paul McGregor with Marshall saying the pair have spoken about extending his stint by another year.

"As long as my body feels good I'll keep playing," Marshall said. "Realistically in my mind I have another four years left in me based on how I'm feeling mentally and physically. I'll definitely be playing beyond next year.

“I had a meeting with Mary [McGregor] about whether he wanted to keep me beyond next season and he has given me an indication that he wants to keep me.

“Whether that is for one year or two years I'm not sure yet. At the moment it can only be one. My priority is probably to stay at the Dragons.

"There was nothing official but gathering from what [McGregor] said to me he can offer me a year at the moment.

“Looking at the team we've got and the side we're building it's a great proposition for me. It's exciting but at the same time I'm a little bit nervous because it's something that I haven't had to do.

“I've always extended and upgraded without being off contract. It's probably the first time I've been off-contract but I back my ability 100 per cent."
Marshall totally revamped his game during his first full season at the Dragons.

Gone were the flashy plays that Marshall showcased when he took the NRL by storm as a youngster at the Wests Tigers.

It comes as the Dragons signed Tim Lafai on a two-year deal on Friday.
Lafai has been released by the Bulldogs, who secured Will Hopoate.
The Dragons are also in the hunt for Jack Bird to return to the Dragons in 2017.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3555044/benjis-bid/?cs=302

Coffs dragon

Bench
I can only really see 2016 being the last in the RedV for both Benji and our great captain, Ben Creagh. With Jack Bird rumour and so much youth in the wings....you cannot hold up the pathways. It's all about timing and whats best for the teams development. Sorry Benji but ESL beckons with a retirement bonus payout.

St Georgio

Juniors
Benji has done a great job for the Red V so far, without Benji no top 8.
Good luck to Benji for the remaining few years he has, hopefully he can be part of premiership 17 for the Red V.

BrissyRedV

Bench
It all comes down to 3 things for the retention of benji, his form, Hutchison's development and other half backs on the market. If benji has a stellar season and his form is great and his partnership with Widdop is flourishing, it would be hard to say no to another season for him at the right price.

The development of Hutchison speaks for itself, if he is ready or close to being ready, he should not be delayed short of point 1.

This all should not hinder the recruitment of Jack Bird either. Personally, I see him as a wide running back rower in the Glenn Stewart / Luke Lewis mould and I think he would excel there. Could you imagine bird lining up on the right side with DuganDugan as his centre? Would be awesome to watch.

mickeylane

Bench
IMO I believe it will play out like this :

Benji extends for one more year (won't happen till at least round 3-4)
Bird gets an immediate release from Sharks for 2016 and moves to right centre of FB
We pull out of the Roberts dealings

OR

Benji extends for one more year
Bird agrees for 2017
We pull out of Roberts dealings

OR

Dragons make a call and try and sign Roberts and Bird which means Benjis hand is forced as the writing is on the wall that Bird moves to 5/8 and WIDDOP to 7 in 2017.

2016 Wishful back line

Roberts
Nightingale
Dugan
Lafai
Matuatai

Widdop
Marshall

hardbaby

Coach
Bird to replace Marshall in 2017 is all I see at this stage. I think they will try to replace Rein as well. The rest of the team looks really solid.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
What might throw our plans out is Widdop.....we are all assuming he wants to stay, but he may want to return to England.
I hope he stays. They need to extend his contract now. If he is on a reported 500k per season, he will certainly want an upgrade. It's peanuts compared to what the other half's are earning. Look at Mybe, he was reportedly going to command 700k.

Puff2010

Juniors
IMO I believe it will play out like this :

Benji extends for one more year (won't happen till at least round 3-4)
Bird gets an immediate release from Sharks for 2016 and moves to right centre of FB
We pull out of the Roberts dealings

OR

Benji extends for one more year
Bird agrees for 2017
We pull out of Roberts dealings

OR

Dragons make a call and try and sign Roberts and Bird which means Benjis hand is forced as the writing is on the wall that Bird moves to 5/8 and WIDDOP to 7 in 2017.

2016 Wishful back line

Roberts
Nightingale
Dugan
Lafai
Matuatai

Widdop
Marshall

Option 1 would be a nice Xmas present

the_saints

Juniors
Mary told Benji he can only offer him 1 year for the fact that he has bird on the cards once that card he been played Benji would of had his hand dealt ... No more bets mate.

mickeylane

Bench
Mary told Benji he can only offer him 1 year for the fact that he has bird on the cards once that card he been played Benji would of had his hand dealt ... No more bets mate.

Birds agreed to stay w a Sharks till 2017. Apparently confirmed in this mornings Sunday Tele which makes sense thst he will come to Dragons as A 5/8 when Benis extended 1 year deal expires

Latest posts