What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji calls for more Papuans in NRL

ali

Bench
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20060925/mohome.htm
Benji wants to see PNG players in NRL
WEST Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall would like to see more Papua New Guinea rugby league players playing with clubs in the national rugby league competition in Australia. Marshall has played 49 games for West Tigers and scored 21 tries, four goals and 92 points while team mate Jamaal Lolesi who accompanied Marshall has played 112 game scoring 52 tries and played one test for New Zealand scoring four points. The Kiwi international who was speaking at the SP Cup dinner last Friday said that PNG rugby league players had the potential and skills to stamp their mark in Australia’s toughest rugby league competition. He said in order to get to that level one must learn how to discipline himself and commit himself to training. The 21-year-old from Whakatane in New Zealand said at the age of 15 he started to take his game seriously and wanted to one day play for a club in the NRL season. He said he was blessed to be with the West Tigers club for three years and thanked his family for supporting him all through out his rugby league career. He also thanked SP Brewery General Manager Nigel Yeo and PNGRFL Chairman Sir Bob Sinclair for having him and team mate Jamaal Lolesi come up and witness the 2006 SP Cup competition. Meanwhile on Saturday Marshall and Lolesi were given a tour of Port Moresby on a motorcade that started from SP Brewery premises at Gordon and ended at Port Moresby Rugby League grounds. As the motorcade went past each suburb crowds could be heard screaming especially young children and girls calling out 'Benji Marshall, hi Benji, Benji please’. The motor cade went past Erima, 7 mile, 6 mile, 5 mile, East Boroko, Manu, 3 mile Foodland, 2 mile, Ela Motors, Koki, Town,Freeway, Hohola, Holiday Inn-Junction, Stop N Shop Waigani, Boroko, Boroko Post Office and PRL.

Good on the 2 Tigers for heading up there!

ouwet

Bench
Great Stuff:thumn ...
Ali mate your a champion... It's people like you who have so much passion and love for International Rugby League that will one day (sooner rather then later) see International Rugby League become strong again.

People if you haven't already... BUY YOUR TRI-NATIONS TICKETS!!!!!!!

That is a great initiative by the Tigers to go up there.

I really think we have a massive opportunity to turn PNG into a international force. Given the ESL's work in europe, I think its our duty really, especially since the Federal government has recommended it as a strategy to revitalise the country.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ive herd there is a young kid named Wawa who has the goods, plays centre, but for the moment he is better off in Indonesia, Inglis and Gas would eat him alive in the NRL

robyalvaro said:
Strong international scene = More money for Rugby League = More money for CRL

exactly...

but i do agree that more needs to be done to help the CRL. The first step is for them to hand over the reigns to the NRL. THat would be the first step in streamlining the ridiculous set up we have.

t-ba

Post Whore
International RL said:
exactly...

but i do agree that more needs to be done to help the CRL. The first step is for them to hand over the reigns to the NRL. THat would be the first step in streamlining the ridiculous set up we have.

The NSWRL...The Junior Game should be run seperate of Corporate interests...or News should accepted diminished power in exchange for the Merger or the state and national bodies into the organisation.

t-ba

Post Whore
International RL said:
so we can pay for more people to sit on boards, drive company cars and pontificate over decisions.

How So? Here I am thinking merging any of these bodies together will reduce the size of management over all, but hey, maybe I'm just insane...

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 2008 Q'land cup looks like having a WA team playing in it. Would be great to see a PNG team as well.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Perth Red said:
The 2008 Q'land cup looks like having a WA team playing in it. Would be great to see a PNG team as well.
I can't see it happening. That's 4,100kms between Perth and Port Moresby and just under 2,100kms between Port Moresby and Brisbane. Even if they got sponsorship that covered shipping QLD Cup teams to both Perth and Port Moresby I doubt the players would be happy with it.

One new team is more likely and since Perth seems to be getting the nod to join in 2008 I guess that rules out Port Moresby for the time being.

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
ive herd there is a young kid named Wawa who has the goods, plays centre, but for the moment he is better off in Indonesia, Inglis and Gas would eat him alive in the NRL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a funny bastard 69...

SP Brewery

3D_SPLager_Label.jpg

The worst beer in the world!!

Ari Gold

Bench
Lockyer4President! said:
I can't see it happening. That's 4,100kms between Perth and Port Moresby and just under 2,100kms between Port Moresby and Brisbane. Even if they got sponsorship that covered shipping QLD Cup teams to both Perth and Port Moresby I doubt the players would be happy with it.

One new team is more likely and since Perth seems to be getting the nod to join in 2008 I guess that rules out Port Moresby for the time being.

There was a PNG side in the QLD cup a few years ago you know?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
There was a PNG side in the QLD cup a few years ago you know?
Yes, I know. I even talked about it in another thread here just yesterday.

What I was explaining where you quoted me is that I don't think having both Perth and Port Moresby in the QLD Cup is feasable. Having one team ages away is okay but having two teams ages away in opposite directions is another thing altogether. Especially when it's a state comp, not a national one.