What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall 50-50 to remain at the Dragons

SaintPeter

Juniors
BLM01 agree with you 100%

Benji on the way out, not such a bad thing.
Cooper on the way in, a good thing.

Makes perfect sense to me.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Which is exactly why Hutch shouldn't be considered as the direct replacement for Benji in 2017. The way I see it, we've got 3 options:
  • Keep Benji for another year or two, secure Hutch and hope that he makes the transition smoothly.
  • Sign Cronk for a couple of years, secure Hutch and hope that he makes the transition (or find another boom young half that we can train up under Cronk)
  • Sign the likes of Reynolds or Elgey for a long term solution, let Hutch do what he wants.

That's pretty much the way I see it. Sign the best available in the hope Hutchison develops further or another young talent stands out. Someone obviously has seen talent in Hutchison with his junior rep history and him being fast tracked to cutters while still being eligible for NYC.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
That's pretty much the way I see it. Sign the best available in the hope Hutchison develops further or another young talent stands out. Someone obviously has seen talent in Hutchison with his junior rep history and him being fast tracked to cutters while still being eligible for NYC.

There's little to no doubt that Hutch has talent. But there's a crazy amount of top shelf juniors who haven't made the jump to first grade. I hope he does make it and make it big, but it's far from guaranteed. The lack of speed concerns me and I'm unsure of his defence. So we'll have to see how he goes, hopefully gets a few more chances this year.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
You're either building up a squad to be competitive and hopefully win a comp in 2-3 years or you confidently believe you have the talent to win it within the current season.

Once we answer that question, then it will become clearer as who to release/sign.

giboz71

First Grade
You're either building up a squad to be competitive and hopefully win a comp in 2-3 years or you confidently believe you have the talent to win it within the current season.

Once we answer that question, then it will become clearer as who to release/sign.

Don't think we have the luxury to wait 2-3 more years, ideally the rebuilding would have started after Bennett left but Price and Doust ballsed that up so we are where we are.

Clearly we have the cap space to for 1 possibly 2 big name signings for next year, so 2017 looks like the year.

Obviously do all you can to win it this year (but I'm guessing we'll be a player or 2 short), but plan ahead for an all out assault on the title for 2017.

Highland Saint

Juniors
There's little to no doubt that Hutch has talent. But there's a crazy amount of top shelf juniors who haven't made the jump to first grade. I hope he does make it and make it big, but it's far from guaranteed. The lack of speed concerns me and I'm unsure of his defence. So we'll have to see how he goes, hopefully gets a few more chances this year.

Agreed. Really hoping to see as much of him as possible in trials behind a full strength squad before writing him off

Big D

Juniors
We need cooper Cronk.hutch is not a first grader yet. He still is a apprentice and has plenty of skills to develop. If we don't get Cronk sign benji on one year deals until the right guy comes. ( I heard Todd carney wants back in the nrl) .
Rein needs to step up this year or he must be the first out for 2017!.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Im with you mate , Im a little unsure of some of the aspects of his game, like you I hope they give the kid a fair go...its just that Im not convinced hes the long term solution to our half back position

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We need cooper Cronk.hutch is not a first grader yet. He still is a apprentice and has plenty of skills to develop. If we don't get Cronk sign benji on one year deals until the right guy comes. ( I heard Todd carney wants back in the nrl) .
Rein needs to step up this year or he must be the first out for 2017!.

Todd Carney no thanks...