What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett and the Broncos are getting boring

Dazzat

First Grade
It's happened again and to be quite frank, it is getting pretty boring and hard to take. Yet again, the Broncos have made the finals!!! I can't even remember the last time they missed out. It's getting plain predictable and I think the Broncos need to seriously look at the coach's position.

Look at the Roosters ... they spend bucket loads of money in recruiting talent and four years after a premiership find themselves on the second bottom run of the ladder. That's exciting! They blame the coach and he's gone ... everyone but Ricky knows you can buy a premiership.

Look at the North Queensland Cowboys and the Tigers ... grand finalists one year and both out of the finals this year ... that's excitement for the fans!

And to make matters worse, Bennett's protege, Craig Bellamy, has gone on and coached Melbourne to a HUGE minor premiership.

Broncos fans deserve more than this ... give us a holiday from finals football please!
icon12.gif

sheldy

Juniors
mate, you have no idea what you are talking about.
if you dont want to see the team that you support in the finals, then you seriously have something wrong.
your not a true broncos fan.

salivor

First Grade
sheldy said:
mate, you have no idea what you are talking about.
if you dont want to see the team that you support in the finals, then you seriously have something wrong.
your not a true broncos fan.

It was sarcasm. Dazzat is part of the pro-Bennett brigade, let's see how pro-Bennett they our now that we've had our 7th straight finals loss and what looks like the resurrection of the slump (our 6th in a row).

bluey

Bench
Yep bennett knows nothing about coaching finals footy, i think from memory he has won 5 premierships but still knows nothing.
As much as we would all like no one is going to win it every year.

broncoman

Juniors
i dont think you are giving enough credit to the dragons, they were awesome and would have beaten anyone anywhere. I think we are still a shot...

Mr Saab

Referee
bluey said:
Yep bennett knows nothing about coaching finals footy, i think from memory he has won 5 premierships but still knows nothing.
As much as we would all like no one is going to win it every year.

He knows plenty, but it hasnt showed the past 5 yrs

bluey

Bench
Actually i can see your point coaches can be in a job too long we felt the same way about lang, he left and won with the pennies.
Maybe a change would be good.
He definitely lost a bit of credibility the way he handled the tri nations team in general last year.

salivor

First Grade
Yep thats what I'm stating that Bennett knows nothing, hit the nail right on the head there, really stole the words out of my mouth. That's sarcasm by the way as I have a feeling you need that pointed out to you.

The simple facts are that Bennett has had one of the best rosters if not the best roster for 6 years straight now. He has 15 players with representative experience in his squad and a couple of other players who should play rep footy in the near future, name me another side in the comp currently who can boast that. Yet for 6 years running we've limped into the finals and once there have now lost 7 straight (9 out of 11 since we last won the comp in 2000) finals matches. I don't expect us to win it every year, not even close but I expect us to be competitive with the experience and calibre of player we have at this time of year which for a while now hasn't been the case.

That's simply not good enough. Bennett has built this club and took it to 5 premierships, for that we will forever be in debt to him but he and his supporters can't rely on that past success forever as those days are now long gone. What worked for Bennett in the 90's simply isn't working now.

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:
i dont think you are giving enough credit to the dragons, they were awesome and would have beaten anyone anywhere. I think we are still a shot...

And why did the Dragons play so well? It was their superb game-plan, Brown had us worked out to a tee.

Dazzat

First Grade
The most boring thing in sport is reading posts after a loss, where the self-appointment couch-potato sporting elite with an axe to grind begin tearing down everyone and everything about the club or an individual such as the coach. ANY FOOL CAN DO THAT and that is why most do!!

Funny how quiet things go when the team is winning. The coach must be OK then.

Compare this type of boring, self-absorbed criticism with coaching a team of grown, professional sportsmen - this takes dedication, commitment, sacrifice, vision and respect for your fellow human being. It's a week by week grind, knowing that there are 15 other coaches planning your week-by-week demise.

Just as well some of you so-called supporters (not mentioning any names because he doesn't want me to talk to him) don't manufacture underwear. We'd all be running around with jocks around our ankles.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
not mentioning any names because he doesn't want me to talk to him

Why would I when you go around labelling any supporter who has the nerve to question 6 consecutive slumps and 7 straight finals losses as a "fair-weather" or "so-called supporter". It's nothing but a low blow and completely pathetic.

bluey

Bench
salivor said:
Yep thats what I'm stating that Bennett knows nothing, hit the nail right on the head there, really stole the words out of my mouth. That's sarcasm by the way as I have a feeling you need that pointed out to you.

The simple facts are that Bennett has had one of the best rosters if not the best roster for 6 years straight now. He has 15 players with representative experience in his squad and a couple of other players who should play rep footy in the near future, name me another side in the comp currently who can boast that. Yet for 6 years running we've limped into the finals and once there have now lost 7 straight (9 out of 11 since we last won the comp in 2000) finals matches. I don't expect us to win it every year, not even close but I expect us to be competitive with the experience and calibre of player we have at this time of year which for a while now hasn't been the case.

That's simply not good enough. Bennett has built this club and took it to 5 premierships, for that we will forever be in debt to him but he and his supporters can't rely on that past success forever as those days are now long gone. What worked for Bennett in the 90's simply isn't working now.

Ok ok swap for raper now that should be to good to refuse.

salivor

First Grade
bluey said:
Ok ok swap for raper now that should be to good to refuse.

Lol, really really tempting but no, we'll let you keep him as he is afterall the most popular man in the Shire currently.

Dazzat

First Grade
"Forever in debt" ... that's why we want to sack Bennett after another final series appearance. Glad he's not in credit - we might have to shoot him.

"What worked for Bennett in the 90s isn't working now". True, and what worked for Ricky Stuart three years ago isn't working now, and what worked for Graham Murray last year isn't working now. And what worked for Tim Sheens last year isn't working now. Whatever worked for John Lang in 2003 isn't working now ... according to some sideline commentators all these guys should be sacked (two have) and never coach again.

The difference between these guys mentioned above and Bennett is his team is in the finals yet again ... regardless of their record when in the finals.

If the Broncos weren't showing motivation on the field, I might agree that Bennett should go. But this is not the case. As in evidence by their defensive record this year, motivation and pride in the jersey as as highly valued as ever. No blow out scores, and excellent effort week in week out. That says to me that the coach is leading from the front, and retains the respect of the players. Otherwise the players would just throw it in after the result was decided.

On Saturday night the problem was with dropped ball and execution. Players such as Webke, Lockyer and Hodges dropped the ball at crucial times. This is not a coaching problem, this is a player/on the night/stuff happens problem (players will admit this after the game).

The other thing is something Phil Gould said during the game. He has studied the Broncos more than any other team in the league. Why do you think he has done that? There are one of two reasons. Firstly, he wants to beat the Broncos more than any other team in the league. Or secondly, he admires the way they play.

And I would imagine, most other coaches in the league do the same for the same reasons. No matter who coaches the Broncos, they will need to know that their tactics, set plays and player characteristics will be known intimately by every other coach in the league - more than any other club. And other clubs, particularly from Sydney, will be more motivated to beat them than any other club.

Beating the Broncos is high on the agenda of every club because they are still regarded as a benchmark team. Is this because Bennett is a dud coach and still living in the '90s. If this was the case, why would Mr Gould give them the time of day.

Wayne Bennett deserves our respect - full stop.

The club or Wayne will know when the time is right - allow them to make the decision. The transition of replacing a 20-year coach must be done with respect and dignity otherwise it will rip the club apart.

Can you imagine the divide throughout the club and supporters if some supporters got their way and the club just sacked Bennett ... it would probably take the club five-to-10 years to recover from the in-fighting and bickering from making such an immature, short-sighted decision.

Regardless of the amount of money at your disposal, keeping a sporting club at the top is NOT about short-term, knee-jerk reactions to weekly win-loss.

Dazzelx01

Juniors
Dazzat said:
The other thing is something Phil Gould said during the game. He has studied the Broncos more than any other team in the league. Why do you think he has done that? There are one of two reasons. Firstly, he wants to beat the Broncos more than any other team in the league. Or secondly, he admires the way they play.

Boy this is getting interesting. I really think that Bennett is going to go to the Roosters and that Gould is going to coach the Broncos in 2007. There are a few points that have been strange lately.

1. Arthur Beetson publicly apologising to Bennett and has stated that he respects him as a coach.

2. Voss on the Sunday Roast stating the Gould is going to coach the Broncos in 2007. They are pretty close mates.

3. The quote I just pointed out, that Gould has been studying the Broncs.

4. Gould talking up the Broncos in every game they play as if they were his favourite team.

I could be wrong but there are a lot of coincedences that are pointing in that direction.

Mr Saab

Referee
I would not mind Stuart or Gould coaching the Broncos...if it happens then it would be the biggest shock in modern league history

Dazzat

First Grade
Mmmm. Gould coaching the Broncos ... that would be the biggest shock in modern league history ... but I think that would be more likely than Stuart ...

I will have to turn off my 'cringe metre' if Gould is Brisbane coach. If you squint hard enough at the TV he might look like Kevin Walters. That would make it easier.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
"Forever in debt" ... that's why we want to sack Bennett after another final series appearance. Glad he's not in credit - we might have to shoot him.
Sorry but I just have to laugh at that, really what else is there to do in the face of such blind stupidity. Bennett is not above critism, to think otherwise is completely naieve, stupid and head in the sand behaviour. He's not a sacred cow as you would have us believe.

Dazzat said:
"What worked for Bennett in the 90s isn't working now". True, and what worked for Ricky Stuart three years ago isn't working now, and what worked for Graham Murray last year isn't working now. And what worked for Tim Sheens last year isn't working now. Whatever worked for John Lang in 2003 isn't working now ... according to some sideline commentators all these guys should be sacked (two have) and never coach again.
Pathetic comparisons. Stuart has had 2 poor seasons yet as still won a Premiership and gone to 2 other Grand Finals in the last 6 years, something Bennett hasn't done. Murray has only had 1 poor season but has still got to a Grand Final in the last 6 years, something Bennett hasn't done. Sheens has had 1 poor season but won a comp last year, something Bennett hasn't done in the last 6 years.

None of these blokes in the last 6 years has had the talent and representative experience that Bennett has had under him at any stage yet for 6 straight years the Broncos have slumped at the end of the season and have now lost 7 straight finals matches yet you want to sit there and tell me that Bennett is above questioning? Please do say so again with a straight face.

Dazzat said:
The difference between these guys mentioned above and Bennett is his team is in the finals yet again ... regardless of their record when in the finals.
There's no doubting that record but we're still making up the numbers at this stage of the season so in the end finals appearances mean nothing. The record for consecutive finals losses is 9 held by Norths and in second is Newtown with 8, the Broncos are quickly closing in on this total, really puts it in perspective doesn't it?

Dazzat said:
If the Broncos weren't showing motivation on the field, I might agree that Bennett should go. But this is not the case. As in evidence by their defensive record this year, motivation and pride in the jersey as as highly valued as ever. No blow out scores, and excellent effort week in week out. That says to me that the coach is leading from the front, and retains the respect of the players. Otherwise the players would just throw it in after the result was decided.
I've never doubted for a second Bennett's outstanding relationship as not just a coach but a mentor to players and I don't doubt their want to play well for him.

What I question is Bennett's tactical ability in the modern game and when I say the modern game I mean 2001 onwards, the first season back under limited interchange. Bennett's methodology of size beats mobility has been defeated at ALL levels. Gould and Stuart led the way with the Roosters at club level while the Broncos were left behind. At State level Gould's sides dismantled ridiculously big Qld packs and then at International level he coached Australia to it's first series defeat in god knows how many years. Bennett's stock in the modern game has been falling for several years now.

Dazzat said:
On Saturday night the problem was with dropped ball and execution. Players such as Webke, Lockyer and Hodges dropped the ball at crucial times. This is not a coaching problem, this is a player/on the night/stuff happens problem (players will admit this after the game).
No on Saturday night Bennett was completely tactically out-gunned by a junior coach in Nathan Brown. Around the ruck, the quick spreading of the ball to target the left hand side, pinning Hodges to the left hand side, everything was spot on for the Dragons while once again the Broncos were left looking simplistic and incapable of cracking the opposition.

Dazzat said:
The first is on the money, he's studied Bennett coached sides, worked them out and then destroyed them. As much as it pains me to say it, Gould is the greatest Origin coach and by a fair way over Bennett.

Dazzat said:
And I would imagine, most other coaches in the league do the same for the same reasons. No matter who coaches the Broncos, they will need to know that their tactics, set plays and player characteristics will be known intimately by every other coach in the league - more than any other club. And other clubs, particularly from Sydney, will be more motivated to beat them than any other club.
Been that was for nearly 19 years now, using the spotlight as an excuse is poor form, what next? Are you going to fall back to the next excuse of Origin and try to pretend the series only started 6 years ago?

Dazzat said:
Beating the Broncos is high on the agenda of every club because they are still regarded as a benchmark team. Is this because Bennett is a dud coach and still living in the '90s. If this was the case, why would Mr Gould give them the time of day.
Of course we are and of course we should be with 15 players with representative experience on our books. I'm still yet to see an explanation or a justification for 6 straight slumps and 7 straight finals losses. Keep searching.

Dazzat said:
Wayne Bennett deserves our respect - full stop.
Of course he deserves respect for his achievements in Rugby League. Doesn't mean that the Broncos aren't in need of a change and doesn't put him beyond being questioned. In case you haven't read around, I'm definetly not alone in questioning him, I know independent thought irks you.

Dazzat said:
The club or Wayne will know when the time is right - allow them to make the decision. The transition of replacing a 20-year coach must be done with respect and dignity otherwise it will rip the club apart.

Can you imagine the divide throughout the club and supporters if some supporters got their way and the club just sacked Bennett ... it would probably take the club five-to-10 years to recover from the in-fighting and bickering from making such an immature, short-sighted decision.

Regardless of the amount of money at your disposal, keeping a sporting club at the top is NOT about short-term, knee-jerk reactions to weekly win-loss.
That's all well and good but there is no transition being set up, no plans for the future from Bennett when his contract ends in a few years or if he buggers off to the Roosters next year or if he gets sacked the club has still been left with no successor so your point is redundant.

Bennett had the opportunity to hand over the reins while the perfect replacement in Bellamy was at the club but through various reasons (IMO selfishness and stuborness) he let Bellamy go who may very well go on to become a premiership winning coach this year. So who is Bennett's replacement now? Who's your candidate for this harmonious transition you wish to see?

Right now we have the chance to show some initiative as a club. Thank Wayne for the memories but his record with the talent at his disposal just hasn't been good enough for 6 straight years now and turn to a market which has a couple of decent coaches looking for a job, mainly the current Australian coach in Stuart who has seen success at both club and state levels.

Latest posts