What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett and the Broncos are getting boring

gregstar

Referee
great post salivor.

the fact is nathan brown thoroughly out-thought bennett on saturday night.
the broncos were found with no backup strategy to combat saints' yardage game two wide of the ruck. saint attacked with players either side of the ball-carrier. brisbane attacked the same way the have all year - one out & were easily handled.

given that the broncos played EXACTLY the same as they had in 6 previous semis, bennett deserves the criticism.

Mr Saab

Referee
He makes alot of good points Dazzat.
Look, i can understand your loyalty to Bennett, he has been a fine coach for many yrs, but he is NOT immune to criticism.

Dazzat

First Grade
I have a little philosophy in life ... choose your fights. Choose the ones you can win, and forget the rest. The great Australian band The Angels sang a song "Shadowboxer" ... great lyrics.

I can guarantee you now, that no matter how much we criticise Wayne Bennett, we aren't gonna make one scrap of difference. Management and Wayne Bennett will make their own decision regardless ... and they have a lot more information to work on than we do. All we see is game day ...

You can have a bit of fun and criticise, but I choose to be positive and support a team through thick and thin. If I see something I don't like, and I can make a difference, I'll be the first there. Otherwise I'll let others to keep swinging at the shadows ...

Dazzat

First Grade
I'd like to make one point about the Broncos being expected to win because they have a roster full of representative players.

The last representative player Broncos bought was probably Richard Swain as opposed to teams like the Manly (Bell, Orford), Roosters (Fittler, Anasta, Harrison, Morley), Cowboys (Thurston, O'Donnell, Webb, Sing), Tigers (Prince, O'Hara, Whituria, Hodgson) who buy plenty.

Every "representative player" started out as a nobody with the Broncos - Webke, Civ, Berrigan, Hodges, Lockyer, Thaiday, Eastwood, Tupou ...

They've all been coached to representative standard by ... you know who.

And low and behold ... that achievement is then counted against you as contributing factor for you to be sacked.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
Salivor for coach ... he has all the answers.

Your really making a habit of idiotic statements, one of your finest and thumbs up for once again completely missing the point :thumb

Dazzat said:
I have a little philosophy in life ... choose your fights. Choose the ones you can win, and forget the rest. The great Australian band The Angels sang a song "Shadowboxer" ... great lyrics.

I can guarantee you now, that no matter how much we criticise Wayne Bennett, we aren't gonna make one scrap of difference. Management and Wayne Bennett will make their own decision regardless ... and they have a lot more information to work on than we do. All we see is game day ...

You can have a bit of fun and criticise, but I choose to be positive and support a team through thick and thin. If I see something I don't like, and I can make a difference, I'll be the first there. Otherwise I'll let others to keep swinging at the shadows ...

Quick, shut down all internet forums, close off the talback radio airwaves, desert the stadiums, we can't have an impact so therefore let's not have an opinion or an independant thought.

And as much as you keep trying to go down the track of implying your a better supporter than me. I too support this club through thick and thin and have great passion for it. I just choose to call a spade a spade and believe that nobody is immune to critism and when I see areas where I feel the club can improve then I'm going to say so. One thing I won't do is question your passion for our club, I only question the avenues in which you choose to pump your passion into. But to question your passion or support for the club would be petty and would lack class, something to think about mate.

Dazzat

First Grade
Gregstar ... I'm not saying that developing players is more important than titles, but just don't use a person's obvious strength as a reason to sack him.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ummmmmmm is it because Nathan has many rep players, but has yet to win, let alone make, a GF since his time as a coach from 2003 to present day?

Dazzat

First Grade
We live in a "consumer" society. When we've finished with something we simply throw it out. We appreciate consuming it, it makes us happy, but it has a 'used-by-date'. Today, coaches and players are consumer items.

There was a time when longetivity, patience, perseverence, faithfulness, stickability were traits to be admired. Relationships were what mattered most. Not any more.

Now, we need constant achievement, success at any cost, fast-food, we need it now! If something's not working, throw it out ... If something needs fixing throw it out, don't even bother sitting down and trying to work out the problem for the purpose of fixing it.

Interesting that alot of Cronulla supporters are absolutely excited about their signing Brett Seymour ... Why? Is Seymour better than Kimmorley? I doubt it. No, they've just had enough of Kimmorley and want someone else. Will Seymour solve their halves problem. I doubt it, but new is best, right!

Why was it "selfish" for Bennett to stay at the Broncos and not give the reins to Bellamy. It was a mutual decision between management and Bennett. It could be conceived as selfish because everything other coach only goes for three or four years right, and then the dreaded 'used-by-date' comes up.

It could have been far more selfish for Bennett to quit and spend his time counting money on the farm.

I applaud Wayne Bennett for his high-level of achievement over such a long period of time. The man is one of few positive role models we have in today's society ... respected by all within the club (during the course of my work I have spoken with two managers within the club who have nothing by praise and respect for the man). Players (Webke only this week) refer to him as a father figure ... a term I have never heard any players from other teams use about their coach.

You can't hang around for 20 years and enjoy such esteem (in the one place) without having great strength of character, commitment, respect for your fellow human being, talent for coaching and a passion to lead from the front.

To me, these things speak volumes ... yes more than winning every title over the past 15 years. Have you thought that he's won one quarter of the competition's he's coached in, but then statistics can be used and twisted to support any argument, so I won't mention that.

That's my independent thought - or am I not permitted to be positive?

IMO being negative is just an echo of the popular press, not necessarily independent thought.

gregstar

Referee
dazzat

the long & short of it is that the broncs have not learnt from the lessons of previous 4 seasons.

at what stage do you consider the well being dry?

i don't think anyone will ever dispute bennett's contribution to the club but it will be seen as supreme fault that bennett wasn't kicked upstairs & bellamy given the reins.

all good things come to an end mate. 20 years is one hell of an effort but the wiff of stagnation is present.

salivor

First Grade
Thanks for those "deep" but otherwise useless thoughts Dazzat.

Why was it selfish for Bennett not to hand over the reins? Well you talk about wanting an easy transition for such a long term coach, well that means you have to create a successor. In Bellamy we did that, he'd had about 5 years under Bennett, been a big part of 3 Premierships and everyone could see he had the goods which he has gone on and proven. The timing was perfect for Bennett to release control (something he struggles with) and hand it over to the next generation. Now there is no successor at the club, they were all fired last year by Mr Bennett himself so I'll as you for a second time, who is your candidate to take over or perhaps we'll just let Bennett die in the role, does that sound about right to you or should we then let his dead corpse get a couple of years in the job?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
A for effort Dazzart, even though your heads in the sand. the prob is simply the team has not perfromed as well as they should and the coach and his tactics need to be looked at. yes I acknowledge that the dragons played very well but 7 straight finals defeats and 5 years of consecutive end of season slumps are not good

I've said that even if we win the comp thsi year beennett needs to walk away ebcause it's just become too stale. tehre was a time when bennett was able to keep reinventing the team but that ahsnt happened in the apst 5 years.

even though i regard gould as a whinegr and incredibly biased I do respect his knowledge of the game and his tactical ability. In saying that he hasnt exactly won a lot of premeierships.

personally I'd like to see john lang at the helm next year

salivor

First Grade
BTW, I'd just like to congratulate Wayne Bennett on now having more consecutive finals losses than any other coach in the history of the game. Quite an achievement, add that to his list of many will ya Dazzat.

sheldy

Juniors
i agree with a new coach for he broncos. as much as we all (excluding some) love bennet and hes been an awsome coach but all good things come to an end. and his end is here. keep him in the club but we need a new coach.

Dazzat

First Grade
Most of the chit-chat above will need a little editing if we win the title this year. Something to think about ....