What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennetts boys on borrowed time.

innsaneink

Referee
JailCard.jpg

Better make sure you have your card handy Wayne.

The last few international series the aussies have played, theyve really been let off the hook at times.

Last year we had England choking in the final of the Tri Series, before looking like world beaters earlier. ...as well as NZ choking way too soon.

The year before they only just managed to beat a 12 man pommy side in game one, and with the second and third games only superior fitness and some friendly refereeing saw tha Aussies yet again get out of the nick.

Last Saturday nite there was definitely no luck, no superior fitness, no helpful refereeing to aid the Aussies, they were outplayed all over the park by a team that wanted it more.

Its not out of the realms of possibility to see Australia come back and dominate this series from here on in, though I just wonder when the tide will turn and the luck runs out, could be sooner than we think.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I know that the aussies havent played to their ability, but one thing we keep overlooking is the fact taht some of these teams may actually be improving.

there have been performances by GB and NZ in the past few years to suggest that if they were able to consistently put them together they'd challenge australia

ozboy

Juniors
Perhaps the Australian selectors should have selected John Skandalis just to shut these bloody Balmain supporters up.

simon says

First Grade
ozboy said:
Perhaps the Australian selectors should have selected John Skandalis just to shut these bloody Balmain supporters up.

It'd sure help......add blokes like Richards,Grothe,Bowen,Lafranchi....

Guys that are match fit and in the teams that are the best in the comp.

Then I'll stop whinging.

Cheers.

Rammo

Juniors
Everyone talks about Skandalis, but I honestly don't feel that he's up to that level.

Laffranchi is the one I think should have been picked, he has a real bright future ahead of him.

Mr Saab

Referee
if skandalis couldnt get into the NSW team in 2002 after winning the MOM in the city/country game then he was never going to get picked for australia.

innsaneink

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
if skandalis couldnt get into the NSW team in 2002 after winning the MOM in the city/country game then he was never going to get picked for australia.

Yeah........agendas.:roll:
If he wore a Saints or Roosters jersey, different story.
Screwing our great game.

Roos not a spent force
By Dean Ritchie
October 20, 2005

CURRENT and former Test stars - along with coach Wayne Bennett - last night warned about abandoning the Kangaroos' chances in the Tri-Nations tournament, claiming Australia have "climbed off the canvas" for the past 15 years.

Australia have failed to win the opening match in nine rugby league tournaments dating back to 1990 - yet remarkably rose to win each series.

The concerning trend started when Australia lost the first Test to Great Britain back in 1990 at Wembley and has continued right through until last weekend when the Kangaroos were beaten 38-28 by New Zealand at Homebush.

Australia have lost the first match of Ashes series in 1990, 1994 and 2001.

"We are slow starters," said Australian hooker and vice-captain Danny Buderus. "We lost the first game again last weekend. But Australia has showed it can come back.

"Australia has a proud history in rugby league and I think you'll find much better performances as the tournament goes on."

Australia face intense pressure tomorrow night to overcome New Zealand in the return Test at Auckland's Ericsson Stadium.

Another loss would have the Kangaroos jetting off to England for the remainder of the tournament without a win and fully aware of their remote chance of contesting the tournament final.

"There is a lot of pressure to win and with success comes expectation," said new Australian bench player and St George Illawarra five-eighth Trent Barrett.

Even in the opening game of last year's Tri-Nations tournament in Auckland, Australia did not win, having to settle for a 16-all draw.

Bennett, asked would his team respond to losing, said: "I wish we didn't have to respond - I would prefer the other option [winning]."

Kangaroos manager and former Australian hooker Steve Walters recalled the nerves after his side lost the first Test to Great Britain on the 1994 tour.

"Australia just has that ability to come back when people think we're down," Walters said. "I remember in the 1994 series in England we lost the first match to Great Britain and people were questioning us.

"And Great Britain won the first Test with 12 men. Shawn Edwards was sent off for coat-hangering Bradley Clyde.

"But we stayed composed and won the final two Test and retained the Ashes."

Laurie Daley, who toured England in 1990 and 1994, said punters should stick solid.

"Our track record shows we win the crunch games," Daley said. "I'd be putting as much money on Australia when those crunch games comes around."

The Daily Telegraph

I hope theyre all correct...we'll see I suppose.

Latest posts