What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennetts cop out

innsaneink

Referee
Bennett does a runner
December 1, 2005

IF only the Kangaroos had the sidestep Australia rugby league coach Wayne Bennett displayed at the Brisbane International Airport today.

Bennett was at his wily best as he pulled off the biggest coup of the Kangaroos' disastrous Tri-Nations campaign – giving the waiting media pack the slip.

Taking an option a Brisbane airport official said was usually only utilised by rock stars and royalty, Bennett took an elevator from customs to an underground car park and was seen far too late by exasperated media walking at pace to his vehicle with wife Trish in tow.

It was a display of speed and guile that Australia certainly lacked when Bennett's Kangaroos were thrashed 24-0 by New Zealand in England last Sunday, marking their first series loss in 27 years.

But ARL chief executive Geoff Carr didn't see a problem with Bennett's runner.

"The team split up. Some players went to America and Mexico, some stayed in Europe so team management made a decision to break camp in Manchester," he said.

"So as a result the players and coach came back as private individuals and they felt their commitments were over.

"It was a decision of team management. Once they break camp everyone is entitled to a holiday and Wayne was obviously of the view that his commitments were finished.

"I haven't spoken to Wayne but that's how I understand it."

Carr's explanation contradicted an ARL release which invited media to speak to Bennett and Queensland-based internationals Luke O'Donnell and Petero Civoniceva today. The release even gave their flight number and time of arrival.

Asked if he would have preferred Bennett to have spoken about Australia's first series loss to the Kiwis since 1953, Carr said: "If they break camp, they break camp – it's a decision made by team management.

"The fact they weren't travelling as a team and that they had split up to all points of the compass they thought the tour was over – it finished at Manchester."

Not that any of that information was shared on the ARL media alert issued yesterday.

And so a massive pack hovered for the 9.35am (AEST) arrival, covering both exits to the international terminal in a bid to speak to Bennett for the first time in Australia about the Tri-Nations disappointment.

Forty minutes later O'Donnell, team manager Steve Walters and assistant coach Craig Bellamy hit the ground running as they finally emerged from customs.

No need to panic, Bennett was still to come – or so the media thought.

Alarm bells rang as Walters approached Bennett's wife Trish in the terminal and the pair headed for the downstairs carpark.

But it was too late – moments later a TV crew came sprinting into the terminal yelling "Bennett's gone".

Only Civoniceva stopped to talk.

Before he could embrace his wife Bonnie and two infant children, armed with a lovingly created green and gold "Welcome Home Dad" sign, the big Brisbane prop faced the music.

"As a group we will take the blame. There were 17 players who went out there and our job was to get it right on the night, and we didn't," he said.

"Our preparation was fantastic. Our form leading into that indicated bigger things.

"But on the night we got it wrong and the New Zealand team was fantastic."

Asked if he wanted Bennett to stay on as national coach, he said: "For sure. I know all the players like to work under him.

"We were heading in the right direction but on the night the 17 guys got it wrong.

"We can only look forward to making amends next year."

Of the criticism levelled at him since the Tri-Nations disaster, Civoniceva said: "As a player all I can do is make sure my form is good enough and if I get the chance again I will take it with both hands."

It was a well worn cliche, but at least he answered questions.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17427304-23214,00.html

Way to go Wayne, face the music....:roll:

What a pathetic, gutless act.

Meanie

Juniors
What do you want him to say?

Facing the media is overrated. It's what happens on the football field that counts.

innsaneink

Referee
Meanie said:

Facing the media is overrated. It's what happens on the football field that counts.

He has an obligation as national coach to front the media.

The media is NOT over rated....youd be the first one bitching if there was NO media about our game, think about it.

Balmain_Boy

Piss poor. Eddie James was under even more fire for the Wannabees losing so many games, yet even he didn't try and evade the media.

Can't believe this article is acting like he was clever. Acting like a pansy if you ask me. Not the sort of exampel the Australian forwards need after their efforts overseas.

Meanie

Juniors
innsaneink said:
He has an obligation as national coach to front the media.

The media is NOT over rated....youd be the first one bitching if there was NO media about our game, think about it.

No I wouldn't, as long as there's footy I'm happy.

gregstar

Referee
i fail to see why he couldn't at least front up.

he's capable of stonewalling the media - he's done it throughout his career so i don't see why he couldn't do so again. media conferences are as boring as batsh*t. by doing a runner, he's brought even more pressure upon himself.

he must be a saddist

innsaneink

Referee
Meanie said:
No I wouldn't, as long as there's footy I'm happy.

You obviously dont know what media entails, it includes televised games, websites, radio coverage, magazines etc etc.....

Camp broke up in Manchester...the article is pretty straight forward mate

Odd response...I know its a straight forward article, I have no problems following it.

But, because they break camp,all of a sudden hes not coach?
Technical cop out excuse....of course he wont talk. He has the shame of being primarily resposible for our winning streak coming to an end, of course you would run away....its the easy option.

Run Benny run benny run run run....................

Meanie

Juniors
innsaneink said:
You obviously dont know what media entails, it includes televised games, websites, radio coverage, magazines etc etc.....

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally? We'll I'll be freaking knackered. :roll:

dubby

Bench
This guy has got no idea. It is his responsability as National Coach to face the media. Eddie Jones is under far more pressure, yet always takes the time to talk to the media. I think Mr Bennett got it wrong.

Wayne, grow up. Running away like an insecure kid running from a group of peers reeks of one thing only-selfishness and insecurity. Both bound so tightly together it is hard to see where they seperate.
If Wayne doesn't like certain responsabilites that come as being the Australian coach, then he should stand down.
If Wayne is scared of the media and what they might say, then he should stop coaching. He imposed a media ban on himself a few years ago, now he runs away. Its time to stand down Mr Bennett. You are making yourself look pathetic, you discredit the game you are a part of, and you forget one thing. By snubbing the media, you are snubbing the people who matter most:the fans.
And the fact Mr Carr gives the feeble response " the team broke up in Manchester" strengthens the fact that the whole ARL administration team should be replaced before they can harm this game any further.
Mates looking after mates. Mates who care only for themselves and there own interests. Mates who have lost touch with the common people. Mates who have lost the plot.

leaguerules

Juniors
the media r a bunch of A**holes anyway. Who would want to talk to them they would just screw him over in the papers anyway not worth wasting his time. I cant believe the amount a crap league cops by the media.

aqua_duck

Coach
Meanie said:

Well going by that Mr Burns should never be allowed to coach another team again.

Meanie

Juniors
innsaneink said:
You'd be happy to see no media yet youre using it right here.

Yeh right.

I didn't say I'd be happy, I said I wouldn't bitch. I liked footy before I ever heard of a messageboard.

And seriously, what can Bennett say? You saw what happened on the football field, the team couldn't hold onto the ball. Simple. Is a clarification of that REALLY that important?

screeny

Bench
For those of you who are saying that because the camp broke up in Manchester Bennett's actions are vindicated, I read that the ARL themselves had issued a press release to media outlets that Bennett would be available for questions at such and such a time at Sydney airport, revealing his flight number.

So, the ARL certainly thought he was available and Carr, as usual, is talking out of his arse.

But at least he's talking.....

Latest posts