What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny Elias talking out of his ass again.

saint.nick

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...plit-down-middle/story-fni3gpz1-1226641499606

This guy talks so much crap it's unbelievable. Does anyone remember how before the 2010 prelim, he came out proclaiming that tigers fans are more passionate and would out number saints fans at the game? well that prediction turned out to be wrong. Now he's trying to say that saints have been as equally unconvincing as a joint venture as the tigers have been. He even argues tigers have made the semis 'many times' since 2000. :crazy:

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Him and blocker dope are the biggest idiots, I remember after the prelim final in 2010 roach went off his head on radio saying we didn't deserve to be there, the tigers were rorted, the refs were crap, the guy has never liked us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Whole article from CP please...

No need to click on the link.

Bulldogs' Bite: Legend Ben Elias says Wests Tigers split down middle

DRAMAS at the Wests Tigers aren't just consigned to the club's football side. In this expansive interview, Ben Elias - a former Tigers director and Balmain legend - has revealed there is "animosity and conflict" between the joint-venture factions at board level.
Elias also accused the Western Suburbs faction of leaking boardroom information, and he denied any behind-the-scenes involvement in the sacking of coach Tim Sheens last year.
Bulldog: You are on the inside at Wests Tigers, the joint venture. Has it worked?
Elias: We won a premiership in 2005 and success is defined by the scoreboard. We have been in the semi-finals many times. I would have to say yes, I suppose.
Bulldog: That's hardly a convincing answer.

Elias: No, it's not convincing, far from it. I equally say St George Illawarra hasn't been convincing.
Bulldog: Do the two clubs, Balmain and Wests, get on at board level?
Elias: No.
Bulldog: Why not?
Elias: There are massive conflicts. I don't know the specifics that go on in the boardroom but you can see by the comments made publicly there is no unity. There is a lot of animosity among the two parties. We need an independent chairman.
Bulldog: That has to be unhealthy, Benny?
Elias: I have always said you need a healthy side off the field, as you do on the field. We have managed so far to be quite resilient. Unfortunately, this year we seem to be really struggling on the field.
Bulldog: Leaked information from the boardroom emerged in the media recently. Did that disturb you?
Elias: It was very disappointing as an ex-player, an ex-director and a current supporter of Wests Tigers. Information was leaked to the media. That stuff should stay in the boardroom. There are only a few select people who would have been given that precise information and I can assure you (the leaks) wouldn't have come from the Balmain side of the board. They (Wests) shouldn't forget Balmain carried them financially for the joint venture's first few years. We are in this together.
Bulldog: Do the Wests' side of the joint venture have more money than Balmain?
Elias: I don't know the answer to that.
Bulldog: Are the Tigers' finances in a concerning state?
Elias: I believe they are financially sound. If they are signing players like Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah long term then they must be alright.
Bulldog: Do you want Balmain back?
Elias: I would love to see Balmain back. Absolutely.
Bulldog: Did you think Tim Sheens' dismissal last year was fair?
Elias: It was time to go for Tim. It really was. You can't knock Tim Sheens' record. He has done everything in the game but he was at the club for too long. The impact had gone and they had to get someone new. I think Tim knew it was time.
Bulldog: A prickly question, Benny. Did you have any involvement in Sheens' demise?
Bulldog: Mick Potter took over. You have a horrendous injury toll but the team is running last.
Elias: We have a massive amount of injuries. We don't know what Mick can do. I know he is doing his best.
Bulldog: Benji Marshall. There are reports he may soon sign a new $4 million deal. Is he worth it?
Elias: Benji Marshall is without doubt one of the superstars of the NRL. Yes, he is worth the money.
BENNY Elias captained NSW in 1990 and 1991. He is an Origin legend. Today he has called for the inclusion of South Sydney's John Sutton as NSW five-eighth.

Bulldog: What do we have to do to win this year's series?

Elias: We have to do something different. Laurie Daley says he had his side picked two weeks ago. Let's start training now then. At least get the players together and start getting their heads right.

Bulldog: Announce it now then?

Elias:
Why not? Let's not have any secrets. I would do something out of the ordinary.

Bulldog: OK then, what would you do?

Elias: I have been most impressed with John Sutton. I like Todd Carney too and he has a relationship with Mitchell Pearce. But we have been beaten. We have to keep changing things until we get it right. I'd go for Sutton. We have a new coach with new ideas. I think we have to have a new approach. There is a whisker between the two teams when you talk talent. All their good players are playing well though ... that is a concern.

Bulldog: ASADA wants players to dob in teammates. Would you have ever done that to "Blocker" Roach or "Junior" Pearce?

Elias: No, never. At Balmain we had this look-after-your-mates mentality at all costs. That's why we were so close.

Bulldog: Where do you see your future?

Elias: I believe I can offer something in administration at the highest level. I also think we should give (NRL CEO) Dave Smith time to develop the extraordinary skills he has brought from the business world.

Bulldog: Expansion. You are involved in a Perth bid. Where should the game head?

Elias: We have to expand sooner rather than later. I think central Queensland in Rockhampton and Perth are two morals. I can assure you Perth wants rugby league.

gypsy

Bench
It's a nothing statement anyway, basically says success is judged by titles. We are 1-1 with Wests since our JV's. Hardly upsetting stuff.

Mr Saab

Referee
I like this comment the best

Elias: We won a premiership in 2005 and success is defined by the scoreboard. We have been in the semi-finals many times. I would have to say yes, I suppose.

Many times huh? Formed in 2000. Made the finals in 2005 / 10 / 11. Not much hope of making it this yr, so in 14 yrs (including this yr) they will have made it 3 times.

saint.nick

Coach

Many times huh? Formed in 2000. Made the finals in 2005 / 10 / 11. Not much hope of making it this yr, so in 14 yrs (including this yr) they will have made it 3 times.

Haha yeah, that's my point! Maybe the standards at the tigpies are just unbelievably low. I can't believe he actually said the dragons are just as worse as the tigers. In terms of consistency, membership and club management, we blow them out of the water.

saint.nick

Coach
Whole article from CP please...

No need to click on the link.

Bulldogs' Bite: Legend Ben Elias says Wests Tigers split down middle

DRAMAS at the Wests Tigers aren't just consigned to the club's football side. In this expansive interview, Ben Elias - a former Tigers director and Balmain legend - has revealed there is "animosity and conflict" between the joint-venture factions at board level.
Elias also accused the Western Suburbs faction of leaking boardroom information, and he denied any behind-the-scenes involvement in the sacking of coach Tim Sheens last year.
Bulldog: You are on the inside at Wests Tigers, the joint venture. Has it worked?
Bulldog: That's hardly a convincing answer.

Elias: No, it's not convincing, far from it. I equally say St George Illawarra hasn't been convincing.
Bulldog: Do the two clubs, Balmain and Wests, get on at board level?
Bulldog: Why not?
Elias: There are massive conflicts. I don't know the specifics that go on in the boardroom but you can see by the comments made publicly there is no unity. There is a lot of animosity among the two parties. We need an independent chairman.
Bulldog: That has to be unhealthy, Benny?
Elias: I have always said you need a healthy side off the field, as you do on the field. We have managed so far to be quite resilient. Unfortunately, this year we seem to be really struggling on the field.
Bulldog: Leaked information from the boardroom emerged in the media recently. Did that disturb you?
Elias: It was very disappointing as an ex-player, an ex-director and a current supporter of Wests Tigers. Information was leaked to the media. That stuff should stay in the boardroom. There are only a few select people who would have been given that precise information and I can assure you (the leaks) wouldn't have come from the Balmain side of the board. They (Wests) shouldn't forget Balmain carried them financially for the joint venture's first few years. We are in this together.
Bulldog: Do the Wests' side of the joint venture have more money than Balmain?
Elias: I don't know the answer to that.
Bulldog: Are the Tigers' finances in a concerning state?
Elias: I believe they are financially sound. If they are signing players like Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah long term then they must be alright.
Bulldog: Do you want Balmain back?
Elias: I would love to see Balmain back. Absolutely.
Bulldog: Did you think Tim Sheens' dismissal last year was fair?
Elias: It was time to go for Tim. It really was. You can't knock Tim Sheens' record. He has done everything in the game but he was at the club for too long. The impact had gone and they had to get someone new. I think Tim knew it was time.
Bulldog: A prickly question, Benny. Did you have any involvement in Sheens' demise?
Bulldog: Mick Potter took over. You have a horrendous injury toll but the team is running last.
Elias: We have a massive amount of injuries. We don't know what Mick can do. I know he is doing his best.
Bulldog: Benji Marshall. There are reports he may soon sign a new $4 million deal. Is he worth it?
Elias: Benji Marshall is without doubt one of the superstars of the NRL. Yes, he is worth the money.
BENNY Elias captained NSW in 1990 and 1991. He is an Origin legend. Today he has called for the inclusion of South Sydney's John Sutton as NSW five-eighth.

Bulldog: What do we have to do to win this year's series?

Elias: We have to do something different. Laurie Daley says he had his side picked two weeks ago. Let's start training now then. At least get the players together and start getting their heads right.

Bulldog: Announce it now then?

Elias:
Why not? Let's not have any secrets. I would do something out of the ordinary.

Bulldog: OK then, what would you do?

Elias: I have been most impressed with John Sutton. I like Todd Carney too and he has a relationship with Mitchell Pearce. But we have been beaten. We have to keep changing things until we get it right. I'd go for Sutton. We have a new coach with new ideas. I think we have to have a new approach. There is a whisker between the two teams when you talk talent. All their good players are playing well though ... that is a concern.

Bulldog: ASADA wants players to dob in teammates. Would you have ever done that to "Blocker" Roach or "Junior" Pearce?

Elias: No, never. At Balmain we had this look-after-your-mates mentality at all costs. That's why we were so close.

Bulldog: Where do you see your future?

Elias: I believe I can offer something in administration at the highest level. I also think we should give (NRL CEO) Dave Smith time to develop the extraordinary skills he has brought from the business world.

Bulldog: Expansion. You are involved in a Perth bid. Where should the game head?

Elias: We have to expand sooner rather than later. I think central Queensland in Rockhampton and Perth are two morals. I can assure you Perth wants rugby league.

Thanks, I'll do that next time!

BennyV

Referee
Tigpies are reported to be offering Benji Marshall a 4 year, $4m contract...that says more about their standards than Benny Elias ever could...

saint.nick

Coach
Him and blocker dope are the biggest idiots, I remember after the prelim final in 2010 roach went off his head on radio saying we didn't deserve to be there, the tigers were rorted, the refs were crap, the guy has never liked us.

Blocker dope just had to come to terms with the fact that the Tigers were just totally outplayed in the second half. If the Tigers won, the Roosters would have won the grand final. Easts are to the tigers what Canberra are to us. In saying that, I was sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage in the last 10 minutes of that prelim final. When the tigers made that last minute break with Galloway and Ryan, I was convinced they were going to score with some typical flukey luck. It still makes me shake when I think about the what ifs of it.

saints4ever

First Grade
St George Illawarra from 99-2012

2 grand finals. 1 premiership. 2 minor premierships (not including equal first 2005). 1 world title. 10 finals appearances. 8 local juniors represented NSW and Australia, 1 for New Zealand. lowest ever position 11th

Wests Tigers 2000-2012

1 grand final. 1 premiership. 3 finals appearances. lowest position 13th two years in a row

your argument is invalid back door benny. god help the pirates. and yeah f**k you, have a nice day :-D

Saint Anger

Juniors
Journos always turn to Elias because they know he is willing to sprout sht at the drop of a hat.

NEXT !

Mr Red

First Grade

1 = 1
2 = a couple
3 = many

LOL!

Mr Red

First Grade

2 grand finals. 1 premiership. 2 minor premierships (not including equal first 2005). 1 world title. 10 finals appearances. 8 local juniors represented NSW and Australia, 1 for New Zealand. lowest ever position 11th

Wests Tigers 2000-2012

1 grand final. 1 premiership. 3 finals appearances. lowest position 13th two years in a row

your argument is invalid back door benny. god help the pirates. and yeah f**k you, have a nice day :-D

good comparison.. dont let facts get in the way of a bulldog ritchie article ;)
i just hope that our lowest position of 11th will not be threatened this season... :(

saint.nick

Coach
It's a nothing statement anyway, basically says success is judged by titles. We are 1-1 with Wests since our JV's. Hardly upsetting stuff.

I think it's the statement that we've been 'unconvincing' that's made us saints fans laugh. Apart from one fluke year in 2005 on the back of marshall, the tigers have been a failure. Now compare this to the equally 'unconvincing' dragons who have made ten finals appearances, won 2 minor premierships, made 2 grand finals, won a premiership and a world club challenge.

Not only in 2010 did we debunk the myth that tigers fans more populated and passionate, we've now debunked the myth that the dragons have been just as bad as the tigers.
Elias 0
Dragons 2

Last edited:
Blocker dope just had to come to terms with the fact that the Tigers were just totally outplayed in the second half. If the Tigers won, the Roosters would have won the grand final. Easts are to the tigers what Canberra are to us. In saying that, I was sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage in the last 10 minutes of that prelim final. When the tigers made that last minute break with Galloway and Ryan, I was convinced they were going to score with some typical flukey luck. It still makes me shake when I think about the what ifs of it.

I agree; and the casual way that Boyd defused the final kick. I loved the way he threw the ball over the dead ball line and threw his arms in the air though!!!

Wests Tigers 2000-2012

Great Stats. Great comeback.
SA is right - he is the veritable go to person on a slow news day because he cannot keep his mouth shut.

Latest posts