What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny's next on the hit list.

spiderdan

Bench
shouldn't be too different for ben if it happens.

like the article suggests, the attaking role of a back rower isn't too different from a centre in modern league anyway.

ben has the size, strength and speed. he just needs to get his leg drive and confidence going. his defence wont be a problem playing a couple of spots in from where he is now. if anything it will help his defence.

how often over the last few years have you seen everyone except back-rowers pack into a scrum. if he stays, which i hope he does, it may turn out to be another great play by hagan.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Good to see that benny is saying, he will play the position that is best for the team and wants to stay here.
Sign him up.

eelaholic

First Grade
I remember an article ages ago were benny was saying he never wanted to play in the back row

I guess if you really want to stay at a club you'll do whatever it takes

I think its more beneficial for benny to have a go at it. He's got to think of his own progression as a player and he will be more valuable if he is more of a utility player for the club. It would at least give him experience on playing on both sides of the field and further understanding of what the blokes either side of him go through during the 80 minutes

Tyler Durden

Juniors
some other cashed up club (dogs, roosters, souths) will jump in and give benny more $$$ and the chance to play in his favourite position.

going to be hard to stay

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont like him as a "wide running back rower", running is not his strength

Defence however is another subject and definately his strength.

Hope he stays as a back rower, he could turn out to be a very good one.

strider

Post Whore
he'll go to another club - get good again - and ppl will bitch and moan about why did we let him go :lol: :lol:

imo - he'd need some work to become a good 2nd rower .... altho he could go ok in a menzies type role, but then u need the rest of the forwards to be covering the tough stuff (hitups in the middle) for him

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id like to see how he goes there. To be honest I think he is just playing on the wrong side of the field. I hope he stays but it isnt a vital loss. If Inu's defence isnt as good, I dont see why we cant have Inu defend on the wing and have Benny defend in the centers. I got no idea where to play the winger whom ever it is.

Hellsy

Immortal
Precisely.
We have to see how he goes before making judgement that we don't keep him. That is pure stupidity IMO.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
and what happens if he's a flop in the forwards? wouldn't that be silly?

I doubt he will be all that great in the forwards tbh, and i'd much rather us re-sign williams etc who can play both positions.

Hellsy

Immortal
what happens if he isn't a flop?
Surely he deserves a fair go?

And as it would seem, Hagan thinks he does so he will get one

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, all we can do is wait and see. I have alot of faith in Hagan and I think Benny deserves the chance to RELUCTANTLY play in the back row. Its up to Benny, if he really wants to play in the centers at another club, he deserves that right. Who knows, when he comes back he could kill it in the center spot and keep his position. If that happens, it could see Hayne move to fullback as he probably wont want to play ono the wing now that he took a pay cut.

Players are going to leave and we have the core of the team sealed up for a few years. TBH, everyone else we keep now is a bonus although I think Kris Keating should be our next priority.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
but that is the point! what happend if he does fail? we'll probably a couple of promising juniors as a result, and with Bens lack of go forward outwide i doubt he'll be a success.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
but that is the point! what happend if he does fail? we'll probably a couple of promising juniors as a result, and with Bens lack of go forward outwide i doubt he'll be a success.

it appaears that you don't have enough faith in the coaching department to develop Ben into a wide running backrower but yet, you seem certain that Tony Williams would be a capable replacement despite the fact that he has zero first grade games next to his name..

The point is, Tony, who's a tremendous prospect imo, still isn't at first grade level and also has some deficiencies to his game just as Ben has, however the clear difference is Ben still has 60 odd fg games to his name and knows what it takes to step up to that level.

to me, I doubt very much that there's a choice between the 2 as you keep pointing out but if there is, the decision to keep one or the other isn't as clear cut as you make out, infact I would say it's more a choice between Weller and Ben...

at the end of the day and how I see it right now, the project to turn Tony into First grader is far greater than turning Ben into a backrower, despite the fact that if Tony gets to that level he'll probably kill it.

jono

Juniors
Stagger eel said:
at the end of the day and how I see it right now, the project to turn Tony into First grader is far greater than turning Ben into a backrower, despite the fact that if Tony gets to that level he'll probably kill it.

Do you mean it is greater as in a bigger priority or that it will be a more difficult process?

Latest posts