What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Commentary Team

Montz

Juniors
Caller: Warren Smith, i think he is great at calling the game, don't really mind who his team is, as long as he is the Caller :)

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Yah Roy and H.G calling the Origin is the best! So funny and they come up with good nicknames for the players.
And Warren Smith is the number 1 caller at the moment.He is on fox.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
As long as Harragon is away from the mic I'm happy. He is seriously dumber than 2 posts.
Rabs is okay for the moment.
Wouldn't mind hearing the odd "By gee, By jingo, By crikey!!" from Mike Gibson, as well as Ian Maurice and Huuuuuuggggeee!!!!! from big Dazza Eastlake. That'd bring back some memories....

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Give me...

Rabs
Gouldie
Fatty
Sterlo
in the commbox
Vossy and Matty Johns on the sideline.

They are the best, and that's why they are on free-to-air.

Fox is great, but there's something about watching the game on the free-to-air tube that makes it feel a bit more like watching the footy.

"It's like an old pair of jeans..."

Blacky

Juniors
I still think that the channel 9 team are the best and we need to see more of Matty Johns calling and less of Fatty. He already has 2 Footy Shows to host. It will be tragic when Rabs gives it up.

For Fox Warren Smith is great to listen to and comments from Wally Lewis isn't that bad either.

For radio, I really enjoy listening to Gary Harley (the big fella). He really goes off when the big plays are made. I also like grandstand rugby league on the ABC.

They are my opinion of my fav commentary teams.

Macca

Coach
I know most forumers hate Ray Hadlee but he and his team are still the best on Radio.

Knight87

Juniors
Ah yes! Who could forget Terry Kennedy? First time I heard him commentate was in a Newcastle vs Roosters match in 1996 on Optus Vision, where he said the famous line: "O'Davis, O'DAVIS, O'DAVIS!!!!!!!!!!! It's TRY TIMEEEEEEEEEEE!!"

He should be calling on Fox or Ch9.

Mr Saab

Referee
Talk about dredging up the past.
TK is an ok commentator, but he needs to learn how to pronounce names correctly.

steeden.

Juniors
TV:

Rabs, Sterlo, Gus (as much as I hate to say it, when he's not biased he knows what hes talking about) and Vossy.

Radio:

Gerry Collins and Quentin Hull are the best probably. Warren Ryan is probably the best comments commentator in the game. David Morrow is good apart from when he starts shouting into the microphone. Craig Hamilton - keep him away from Knights games!

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
From the perspective of someone who often watches with casual viewers unfamiliar with the game's laws and nuances, Gould's level of analysis is invaluable. When he isn't biased, he's eloquent and concise, and does an excellent job of pointing out to the audience aspects of play, mistakes etc they mightn't have picked up on otherwise. More than any other commentator, he caters to a wide audience.

Azkatro

First Grade
If Phil Gould can learn how to not repeat his observations ad-nauseum, he will be considered one of the better colour commentators. Case in point, in the test match when he yelled out "a scrum penalty!" That was entertaining, but he kept repeating it which I thought (once again for him) killed it.

glockers

Juniors
Lead- Warren Smith
Colour and comments - Gould and Blocker
Sideline eye - Matt Johns

Half time in the studio - Sterlo, Gould, Blocker and Jimmy Smith.

Caller: Warren Smith or Graham Hughes
Comments: Laurie Daley and Sterlo
Sideline: Matty Johns.
Gus is good too but where to put him? Maybe pre-game, Halftime and post game.