What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best defensive technique???

simon says

First Grade
Warching Beaver Menzies hits on Tuiaki on Friday night made me think about how good a technique this bloke has....IMO he is technically the best hitter of this era.....he gets down low and crunches players.

Tuiaki has been killing defenders all year but the Beaver owned him.

With this in mind......I have been going through the grey matter and have come up with my BEST EVER technical hitters.

Here they are.....

Terry Randall.....gee whiz this guy could put on a hit.....loved separating ribs from their owners.

Trevor Gillmeister......not a big feller,but would use every ounce of his body and centre it on the defenders belly and kapow.

Wayne Pearce......also not a big feller,but he could snap the biggest forward in two.....also equal to Steve Mortimer as the best cover defender I have ever seen....

David Gillespie.....most probably the most damaging of the lot.......not big but as solid as,and when he hit they stayed hit......very nasty and in nasty pack too.

Id be interested to hear any stories of the hits these blokes did or anyone else you may think I have missed out on.

Cheers.

innsaneink

Referee
Reading the title, beaver immediately came to mind.

Nigel Plum goes well, going way back, John Elford hit hard.

Godz Illa

Coach
Fui Fui is in the Tuiaki category and Ben Creagh dumped him on his back twice in one match. No discussion of perfect defensive technique is complete without a mention of Creagh.

the_eel

Juniors
I think that there are a few little blokes that have pretty good defensive techniques as well. Lincoln Withers, PJ Marsh and Joey Johns generally had pretty good techniques for small blokes. I also agree however that Menzies and Plum are hard to go past for technique.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Anyone whio saw the Warriors V Dragons kickoff yesterday will know why I rate Sam Rapira as having one of the best front on defensive techniques. He gets straight in under the ribs and stops them cold.

Snoop

Coach
Menzies has been using that technique since he was a teenager. He's added a good shoulder charge (just ask Jason Smith) to his game but it's his classic tackling style that must bring a tear to the eyes of old timers sick of gang tackling.

Johns. Awesome technique and it was not unusual for him to flatten any forward in defence. He goes around the hips, picks up and drives. Looks spectacular

MKEB...

Staff member
Peter Johnston knocked a few for six. I still crack up when he hit Gary freeman twice in one match.

That bugger could consistantly rack up the hits.

Anothere one was a young Joe Vagana.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
KeepingTheFaith said:
Anyone whio saw the Warriors V Dragons kickoff yesterday will know why I rate Sam Rapira as having one of the best front on defensive techniques. He gets straight in under the ribs and stops them cold.

Another guy at the Warriors that I'd nominate is Simon Mannering, the number of one-on one tackles that he makes on opposition centres is outstanding. Very few players manage to go around him, he just cuts the legs out from under them.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Red Bear said:
best technique is hit around the hips and slide down - copybook tackle style

That depends where you are defending- thats definiely the best technique for defending in the backline, just cut the legs out from under them (see my comment on Mannering). For defending closer in against big guys a more aggressive front-on technique is sometimes more effective.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
Another guy at the Warriors that I'd nominate is Simon Mannering, the number of one-on one tackles that he makes on opposition centres is outstanding. Very few players manage to go around him, he just cuts the legs out from under them.

Mannering - 226/238 tackles made this season including 21 one on one tackles. 94.95% tackle success rate. Pretty useful even though there are times he can rush off his line and leave Manu isolated. As a second rower he'll definately be a defensive rock on one side of the field.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
KeepingTheFaith said:
Mannering - 226/238 tackles made this season including 21 one on one tackles. 94.95% tackle success rate. Pretty useful even though there are times he can rush off his line and leave Manu isolated. As a second rower he'll definately be a defensive rock on one side of the field.

I'd agree his defensive positioning can be a bit suss att times (although some of that might just be the whole team playing an up and in pattern) however his actual tackling technique is first class. I'm actually suprised his one-on one count isn't higher than that.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
I'd agree his defensive positioning can be a bit suss att times (although some of that might just be the whole team playing an up and in pattern) however his actual tackling technique is first class. I'm actually suprised his one-on one count isn't higher than that.

So am I. I think the NRLstats website is lagging behind a bit in their season stats section. Double checking now.

Mannering makes roughly 20 tackles a game and as far as I know he hasn't missed a game all year. His tackle count should be up around 360.

368/393 at 93.63% with 44 one on one tackles. He's almost always close to the top one on one tackler in Warriors matches which suggests teams are targeting him down that side. He's holding up well.

Latest posts