What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ever??

I don't think there will ever be another team like the WI in the 80's. But we will never really know how they compare to the current Australians

Red Bear

Referee
I think we were at out best around the time of the 16 tests in a row or the 2001 ashes. Warne, Mcgrath, Gillespie Lee bowling awesome and batting wise, both Waughs, slater, langer, martyn, gilchrist. Bloody awesome

Tommy Smith

Referee
Lee wasnt bowling awesome. He got clattered on that Ashes tour. But yeah, of the last 5 years that side was certainly the best.

But i liked the Taylor side. He brought such a mental toughness to the side and brilliant captaincy that everyone believes the sides under Waugh and Ponting have had but not on the same level IMO. They were so professional, not computer geeks like the Buchanan era. I reckon Gillespie was better back then too. Much more pace and fire. Even he didnt set the world on fire during the 2001 Ashes series. And lets not froget that Taylors team had Paul Reiffel! Legend!

Red Bear

Referee
Reifil was tops. I meant Lee was bowling well during our run of 16 tests. Gillespie was always injured back then unforunately. Taylor wasnt the best batsmen in that time unfortunately. My team of the last 15 years would be

Slater
Taylor/Hayden(hard to split
Langer
Ponting
Waugh
Waugh
Gilly
Warne
Gillespie
Macdermott(legend)
Mcgrath

lockyno1

Post Whore
GoTheBears said:
Reifil was tops. I meant Lee was bowling well during our run of 16 tests. Gillespie was always injured back then unforunately. Taylor wasnt the best batsmen in that time unfortunately. My team of the last 15 years would be

Slater
Taylor/Hayden(hard to split
Langer
Ponting
Waugh
Waugh
Gilly
Warne
Gillespie
Macdermott(legend)
Mcgrath

Boon has to be in there. May would defiantely come into may calculations (Probally for Gillespie). You would have to ahve Taylor in there, Geoff marsh would be another option though!

choc_soldier

Coach
Paul Reiffel against the Windies in 1995 typified the player that he was - Mr. Dependable. Could always get you a few wickets, and could also get you a few runs in the lower order. Very much in the same mould as Andy Bichel. Not an all rounder in the true sense, but quite accomplished at both.

Two under rated cricketers, IMO. The type of cricketer we could do with at the moment...

aussies1st

Staff member
I would take the Waugh's when they were bowling. That made our side have even more bowling depth.

Latest posts