What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Grand Final Moments

SW2006

Juniors
Hello fellow leaguers,

Just trying to remember great grand final moments whether they be funny or game related...Benny Elias 1989 etc...
Can anyone help?

JJ

Immortal
Roycie Simmons 1991 - two tries in his last game, the GF, and then offering to all Penrith fans to "have a beer with every one of youse..." (and by all accounts, sticking to his word).

The ultimate fairytale - Webcke will be looking for similar

thickos

First Grade
Steve Jackson's try in extra time in 1989!!!

Big Mal's intercept in 1994.... 'Go Big Fella!'

:clap:

panthersballboy

Juniors
In 91 when Canberra tried a short drop out and big MG came out of no where to swoop on the ball and set up Roycie for his 2nd try.

In 94 Big Osbourne having an absolute blinder.

97 with John's going down the short side to set up Albert for the match winner.

02 the flying headbutt on Freddie which seemed to fire up the chooks to win.

Stagger eel

Staff member
every grand final that I remember has a little somthing that just stands out and will stick in my mind for ever.

From 1980.

1980: Steve Gearin's try
1981: Joe Joseph getting in front of the camera and yelling out stick that up your arse Peters!!
1982: Kenny's second try.
1983: Also Kenny's second try.
1984: Mak Bugden scoring whil Price was on the ground hurt.
1985: The couragious effort of Glen Burgess
1986: Cronin and Pricey lifting the trophy.
1987: Cliff Lyons effort all match.
1988: Lamb taking out Hanley.
1989: Steve Jacksons try
1990: Mark Geyer crying after the match.
1991: Royce Simmonds second try.
1992: Steve Renouf's try
1993: Alan Cann's try
1994: Martin Bella knocking on from the kick off.
1995: Jim Dymock's effort all game.
1996: Ridge being tackled only to get up and play on [onya Mander]
1997: Alberts try
1998: Darren Smith's try
1999: Craig Smiths Penalty try.
2000: Sailor and Tuqiri's efforts all game.
2001: Newcastl's first half.
2002: Villa hitting Freddy
2003: That tackle..Sattler
2004: Bobcat Ryan's try saver on Crocker
2005: Benji's flick pass
2006: ??????????????????? [watch this space]

Saint 60

Juniors
One that comes to mind...
I really enjoyed the absolute elation of the diehard trier of Royce Simmonds -
priceless

tbone10

Juniors
eelavation said:
every grand final that I remember has a little somthing that just stands out and will stick in my mind for ever.

1995: Jim Dymock's effort all game. Also Canterbury tries from forward passes and the seventh tackle...
1996: Ridge being tackled only to get up and play on [onya Mander] It was actually David Manson
1997: Alberts try. and i knew someone had to bring it up :(

Stagger eel

Staff member
Despite all that Canterbury were too dominant in 95 and deserved the game..if you want to complain about that game we can always go back to 78!!!!;-)

Ice777

Bench
The penalty try in 99 would have to be my highlight, but Choc dropping the ball cold over the try line would have to be right up there for me as well ;-)

BWNB

First Grade
Ice777 said:
The penalty try in 99 would have to be my highlight, but Choc dropping the ball cold over the try line would have to be right up there for me as well ;-)

None better than them two moments!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Alan Cann scored in 1992, a pretty good try beat about 6 of them.My vivid memory of 1993 was Jason Stevens getting injured in the first tackle, and Kevin Walters having a hand and all the tries.1997 was of course Darren Albert's try. other moments in that game were Toovey getting stomped on and O'Davis' two tries. People sometimes forget Troy Fletcher made a big bust to set up O'Davis' second try to level the game. If it wasnt for Fletcher, Newcastle probably wouldntve gone on to win.

Latest posts