What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best 'keeper in the world

Craig

Juniors
This has nothing to do with batting ability.

It would be Zimbabwe's Tatenda Taibu.

Unfortunatly not much of a batsman.

I haven't seen a keeper in a while that is as good. His reaction time in getting the bails dislodged is probably the quickest in the world.

knights04

Bench
I'm guessing Gilchrist beat you up. Taibu :lol: No Rahul Dravid is the best the world has ever seen :lol:

Craig

Juniors
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

salivor

First Grade
Well if Adam Parore hadn't retired recently I'd rate him as having the best glovework but of the current crop Adam Gilchrist is well ahead.

Stormin Norman

Juniors
Hmmm there is no real great glovemen atm wit all team going for batters who can keep rather than the other way round. I'd have to say jacobs from the windies.

Berry and Secome are prob the best in aus but Wade is a much better batter than "chuck"

Iafeta

Referee
From a pure gloveman perspective, the recently retired Jack Russell was unbelievable. Pure dynamite. Tatenda Taibu is nowhere near him, I've seen him struggle with the simplest of high balls.

I don't think there's any brilliant gloveman anymore, the role has been revolutionised somewhat into more an extra batsman. Gilchrist though is not too bad. Pulls off some good catches.

SirShire

First Grade
Taibu is only a young bloke (20). Give him time, I am sure he will be a good player for the Zimbots in the future. They have some good talent coming through their ranks

Anonymous

Juniors
The best one around currently is Chris Read or Ridley Jacobs IMO, from a purely glovework perspective.

Iafeta said:
From a pure gloveman perspective, the recently retired Jack Russell was unbelievable. Pure dynamite. .

My mates uncle used to coach him and from what i heard he wasnt just a great keeper but a legendry team man.
He stood up to all the pace bowlers even some of the west indian players the the county had.

aqua_duck

Coach
Its very hard to tell IMO, Taibu is quick and pretty athletic but he can miss a few when standing up to the stumps and as someone mentioned the high balls trouble him, I think Gilchrist is a very under rated gloveman as his batting seems to take most of the credit, Moin Khan wasn't bad in his day, I think Wade Secombe is also a very good gloveman.

Red Bear

Referee
Healy is the best ever in my opinion.
Best at the moment would be...Gilchrist of what ive seen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Have to agree with Stormin Normin.

This is an era where all countries are tying to find a batsman who can keep.

The quality of glovemen around at the moment, is not good, including Gilly.

And India make a mockery of the wicket keeping position, by giving to Dravid.

He's a good batsman, but my grandmother is a better wicket keeper.

Iafeta

Referee
Fair dinkum SW? I hear he was a good painter or something as well. He'll be kicking himself that he came through the same era as Alec Stewart, he could have been something very special. I can't believe he didn't play more for England. Is he still going around with Gloucestershire?

I distinctly recall the 91/92 series he played against New Zealand. His keeping to Tufnell was exempory, and he took some amazing catches of their seamers. By golly he was good.

Anonymous

Juniors
Tatenda Taibu is definatly the quickest I've seen at taking of the bails.

But theres more to keeping that just that (And I'm speaking from 7 years of experience here ;-) )

In Australia I think Wade Seccombe is a stand out, and given a chance on the world stage I think he would prove to be the best.

Another stand out IMO is Darren Berry, whos posses terrific footwork especially while keeping up to the stumps. He often stands up to Mat Inness and I think that
shows something in itself.

Timbo said:
The best one around currently is Chris Read or Ridley Jacobs IMO, from a purely glovework perspective.

I have to disagree with you there, I think Jacobs tends to be safe enough to get the job done, but he is definatly not a stand out with the gloves.

Latest posts