What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best NZ and Aussie Teams

jamesgould

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
spot on.
Mullins, Lockyer, Brasher, Badge, Langlands all off my head, hands down ahead of mini for best aussie fullback
Sailor and Buderus are not even in the same league as some of thier australian represenitive counter parts. And Dave is a legend, great bloke and more then a handy player, but not near the greats that have played in the back row for Australia

Minichiello would surely have to rate ahead of Mullins now, for consistency over several seasons until his injury last year. Probably ahead of Brasher too, if international form is the primary indicator. Churchill would surely take them all out, though!

jamesgould

Juniors
Here's my Kiwi side from 1995-2006. Select most of them from when they were at their best and you'd have a side that would take some beating. (Best seasons indicated in brackets in cases where players were pretty hopeless apart from one or two awesome years!).

1. Matthew Ridge
2. Francis Meli
3. Nigel Vagana (Bulldog years)
4. Willie Talau (2002)
5. Richie Barnett
6. Robbie Paul
7. Stacey Jones
8. Ruben Wiki
9. Richard Swain (Melbourne years)
10. Paul Rauhihi
11. Steve Kearney
12. Ali Lauiti'iti (2002 styles)
13. Sonny Bill Williams
interchange:
14. Henry Paul
15. Craig Smith
16. Jason Cayless
17. Logan Swann (I know I'll get mocked for that one, but he came of age in his final few years at the Warriors)

skeepe said:
Too many drugs for you. Minichiello is not the greatest ever Australian fullback. Even if you were to go with a modern-day player, Darren Lockyer would have to be the logical choice there.

Wendell Sailor on the wing? :lol: Buderus our greatest ever hooker? :lol:

Oh and as for David Furner, whilst my natural Raiders bias dictates that I agree with you, common sense overrules and says that he played nowhere near enough internationals to be considered an all-time great.

i would probley rate brasher and jack over lockyer IMO both were better players

Mr Saab

Referee
I stopped after reading Clearly as fullback for the Kiwis.

Stop making threads Rabbitohs2005. You have about as much knowledge as forum cop Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmah and thats less than sweet f**k all

Raiders Plight

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
i would probley rate brasher and jack over lockyer IMO both were better players

brasher was certainly not better than lockyer, gary belcher was better than brasher ever was anyway.

jamesgould said:
Here's my Kiwi side from 1995-2006. Select most of them from when they were at their best and you'd have a side that would take some beating. (Best seasons indicated in brackets in cases where players were pretty hopeless apart from one or two awesome years!).

1. Matthew Ridge
2. Francis Meli
3. Nigel Vagana (Bulldog years)
4. Willie Talau (2002)
5. Richie Barnett
6. Robbie Paul
7. Stacey Jones
8. Ruben Wiki
9. Richard Swain (Melbourne years)
10. Paul Rauhihi
11. Steve Kearney
12. Ali Lauiti'iti (2002 styles)
13. Sonny Bill Williams
interchange:
14. Henry Paul
15. Craig Smith
16. Jason Cayless
17. Logan Swann (I know I'll get mocked for that one, but he came of age in his final few years at the Warriors)

not many of those players go beyond 2000, hence my point, and some do, but you talk about their form after the year 2000

No Nikau, is a joke, no tony iro...geez

Craig Smith, how many tests did he play by memory ???

jason cayless, but no nathan ???

Rauhihi :lol:

geez, you dont have much of an idea do you

Mr Saab

Referee
Rabbitohs2005 said:

This coming from someone that picked Cleary as the fullback for NZ. You should be the last person to talk about "an idea"
Then you pick David Furner and Martin Bella ahead of a Tallis or Webcke

Quit following league, you are embarrising.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
skeepe said:
Too many drugs for you. Minichiello is not the greatest ever Australian fullback. Even if you were to go with a modern-day player, Darren Lockyer would have to be the logical choice there.

Wendell Sailor on the wing? :lol: Buderus our greatest ever hooker? :lol:

Oh and as for David Furner, whilst my natural Raiders bias dictates that I agree with you, common sense overrules and says that he played nowhere near enough internationals to be considered an all-time great.

Mini has more speed, better under the hight ball, far better defense, always breaks the first tackle and countless times the second and third! I dont see how you rate locky better then him at full back. They both have different playing styles in the position but I think mini does far more damage as a fullback.

ShineDog

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Do you mean from 1995 onwards Rabbitohs 2005?

Best of whom I've seen.

1. Langlands
2. Irvine
3. Fulton
4. Reg Gasnier
5. Gothe (snr)
6. Kenny
7. Johns
8. O'Reilly
9. Edge (c)
10. Beetson
11. McCarthy
12. Coote
13. Raper

14. Wally Lewis
15. Sterling
16. Ella
17. Terry Randall

Dunno about the Kiwis but I'd pick Brendan Tuuta first. lol

Kenny has nothing on the King.
Wally Lewis is the obvious choice at number six!!!

jamesgould

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
not many of those players go beyond 2000, hence my point, and some do, but you talk about their form after the year 2000

No Nikau, is a joke, no tony iro...geez

Craig Smith, how many tests did he play by memory ???

jason cayless, but no nathan ???

Rauhihi :lol:

Another great post. Loads of those players are from after 2000, loads are before! What are you on about? Of course the majority will be post-2000, as the Kiwis have had much more success since then.

There is no Tawera Nikau as he only played ONE test in the period I am talking about, the 1997 Superleague test. He refused to play with Richie Blackmore, in case you have forgotten.

Craig Smith played 12 tests ... your point is?

Jason Cayless at his peak rates well above Nathan ... I thought this was general opinion. Nathan was on fire in last years Tri Nations, but there are only so many spots.

Anyone who laughs at Paul Rauhihi's achievements in the game just has no idea. But we knew that already from the Cleary/Alexander/Blake fiasco.

icewind

Juniors
90s on best aus team IMO:

1. Lockyer
2. Mullins
3. Meninga
4. Daley
5. Tuqiri
6. Lewis
7. Langer
8. Lazarus
9. Johns
10.Webcke
11.Tallis
12.Hindmarsh
13.Clyde

14.Harragon
15.Sironen
16.Kennedy
17.Fittler

icewind said:
90s on best aus team IMO:

1. Lockyer
2. Mullins
3. Meninga
4. Daley
5. Tuqiri
6. Lewis
7. Langer
8. Lazarus
9. Johns
10.Webcke
11.Tallis
12.Hindmarsh
13.Clyde

14.Harragon
15.Sironen
16.Kennedy
17.Fittler

Very Nice, Renouf very unlucky to not make the team, i would have ET over Mullins, otherwise perfect team

Bigfella

Coach
Not me.

I'd have Brett Kenny before Lewis.

If it was based on Origin only, maybe I'd plump for Lewis over Kenny.

The interesting stat is that when Kenny played 5/8 in origin aginst Lewis as 5/8, NSW won something like 8/12 of those games, in an era when QLD dominated SOO generally.

Lewis himself rated Kenny the best player he played against.

Having said all that, I'd find a place for both.

Especiallly if Marty Bella is making the team(????)

Bigfella said:
The interesting stat is that when Kenny played 5/8 in origin aginst Lewis as 5/8, NSW won something like 8/12 of those games, in an era when QLD dominated SOO generally.

Lewis himself rated Kenny the best player he played against.

Having said all that, I'd find a place for both.

Especiallly if Marty Bella is making the team(????)

Good point about Bert and Wally. Wally I guess has an Origin aura that no one can match and that's probably why I'd go with Wally at 5/8.

Bella wouldn't be in my team, too ugly.

Steve Ella that is on the bench. lol

SilverSteeler

Juniors
1995-2006

Kiwis

1. Barnett
2. Hoppe
3. Vagana
4. Toopi
5. Meli
6. R. Paul
7. Jones
8. Wiki
9. Swain
10. N. Cayless
11. Kearney
12. Lauititi
13. Kidwell

14. H. Paul
15. Smith
16. Pongia
17. Solomona

Kangaroos

1. Lockyer
2. Rogers
3. Gasnier
4. M. Gidley
5. Tahu
6. Daley
7. Johns
8. Webcke
9. Buderus
10. Civoniceva
11. N. Hindmarsh
12. Tallis
13. Clyde

14. Fittler
15. Menzies
16. Kearns
17. Bailey

Mr Saab

Referee
Rabbitohs2005 said:
In
Phil Blake, Gary Freeman, Greg Alexander are some notables i didnt include, that might be the reason why you are dissing this team of mine.

I missed this part...this is getting better!
Blake? Alexander? For the NZ test team
Helllllllo...in case you didnt know Alexander was a 1986/90 Kangaroo Tourist...thats
K A N G A R O O....not a K I W I.
Blake is also australian.
Just because they both played for the Warriors in 1995/6 doesnt make them Kiwis.

You are the dumbest league person i have ever come across on LU and thats stiff competition.