What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best parra jnr you saw as a Junior

The Rev

Juniors
Danny Crnkovich is still ONE of the best attacking fullbacks we have ever had
Tim Mannah carved up the Toyota Cup in it's first season
Brian Jackson had an amazing knack of beating a man
Jarryd Hayne - 'nuff said
John Williams - great as a junior, but hasn't really kicked on
Danny Sullivan could have been 'anything'...

CrazyEel

Bench
ERIC GROTHE SNR.

I'm going back to 78 - 79, when Mr Eric Grothe was carving up in the Under 23's when he was 18.
At the old Cumberland, when the Eels started their resurgence in the mid to late 70's, and there were no night games, Cumberland used to be half-3/4's full during the Under 23's.
Eric became a massive crowd favourite as early as that, and scored the same scintillating tries in those grades at that young age as he went on to do during all his years in first grade. He progressed very quickly through reserve grade to make the First Grade team in 1980, I think. He was a freak, in the under 23's, and very very quickly became a massive crowd favourite.
I've seen all the others mentioned come through the grades, but I seriously do not recall anywhere near the excitement for any of them, that rivalled Eric's progress through the grades.
The only others that would come remotely close would be Mick Delroy and Danny Crncovic or even Brian Jackson or David Woods.

Suity
I agree with you on Grothe but Steve Ella also tore em apart in lower grades before his car accident. He had a year out in Presidents cup with 2 knee reconstructions but was still good enough to come back and go on to make 1st grade and rep footy. Although the knee ops reduced his pace and sidestep he was still pretty elusive. If not for the car accident giving him the bung knees I believe Ella would have been the best of all of them.

David Liddiard was also a standout junior.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Josh Davis

And I am not taking the piss, the U20s team just needed to get the ball to him and he would carve them up. Then he got injured and never was the same. But potential is a funny thing, not everyone lives up to their junior hype.

jono

Juniors
I agree with you on Grothe but Steve Ella also tore em apart in lower grades before his car accident. He had a year out in Presidents cup with 2 knee reconstructions but was still good enough to come back and go on to make 1st grade and rep footy. Although the knee ops reduced his pace and sidestep he was still pretty elusive. If not for the car accident giving him the bung knees I believe Ella would have been the best of all of them.

David Liddiard was also a standout junior.

Are you sure Ella got his knee smashed in a car prang?
I'm almost certain it happened when he got clobbered by Steve Knight at Brookvale , the day we beat the silvers 28-13 and Archie Beetson carved 'em up in his first game for Parra

CrazyEel

Bench
Are you sure Ella got his knee smashed in a car prang?
I'm almost certain it happened when he got clobbered by Steve Knight at Brookvale , the day we beat the silvers 28-13 and Archie Beetson carved 'em up in his first game for Parra
Yes mate I'm sure, I know the incident you're referring to but he had both knees crushed as a passenger in a car accident when he was only 18, long before he ever made his 1st grade debut. He always played on wonky knees that caused him problems throughout his career after that.

jono

Juniors
Yes mate I'm sure, I know the incident you're referring to but he had both knees crushed as a passenger in a car accident when he was only 18, long before he ever made his 1st grade debut. He always played on wonky knees that caused him problems throughout his career after that.
Thanks for the heads-up , do agree that if not for the crappy knees , he would've been classed as one of the best of all time , and not just for Parra

Kornstar

Coach
Josh Davis

And I am not taking the piss, the U20s team just needed to get the ball to him and he would carve them up. Then he got injured and never was the same. But potential is a funny thing, not everyone lives up to their junior hype.

I remember that game at Penrith, it took them about 20 minutes to set his leg and get him off, that pretty much ruined any type of career he could have had.

He certainly had the potential though!

half

Coach
loved watching wade mckinnon play before he moved to souths. john morris for best scone junior

natheel

Coach
Jarryd Hayne - remember watching him in the 2005 reserve gf (pretty sure) and thinking geez this kid is a real talent

Wade McKinnon - similar to Hayne but in 2001 gf...and was sad to see he left for souths

Suitman

Post Whore
better than your grandma. baking scones is all about preparation, reliable hands and attention to detail

One of my grandmas dies in 1946. The other one in 1948, so I wouldn't know if that's true or not. True story.

Suity

Latest posts