What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Player You've Seen and Why

taxidriver said:
Wally Lewis

I don't think he ever failed to deliver in a big match

His final test. Kiwis 24 - Aussie - 8

Lewis was made to look a fool and over the hill in that game.

The selectors rushed Daley back from injury for the second test, and allthough he played at centre (with the late Pete Jackson at 5/8th) effictively the torch was passed at this exact point. Daley was the best player in the world from then on for a long time. Lewis is probably the best player I've "seen", but I didn't see him in his prime in the mid 80's. I saw him from 88 on and he was awesome in his last few origin series...but Laurie is the best player I've ever witnessed in his prime. He was the complete player and so inspirational, if he was a bit luckier with injuries, I think he would be regarded as the greatest player of all time. He's definitely top 10 now. Put him next to Ricky Stuart and it was something very special. The Jordan-N-Pippen of Rugby League.

legend

Coach
On natural ability, Brett Kenny is the best player I have ever seen. His skills were second to none and hie sleight of hand was superb. He made the best defenders look second rate.

Eric Grothe was also another brilliant footballer and on his day there was no more damaging player in the game.

In the modern era, Lockyer is the best I have seen whilst Fittler had as much natural ability as anyone ho ever played the game, there are times he went missing in big games but he is still an outstanding player and his stature will only grow over time.

Saint 60

Juniors
Hmmm i cant pick one

Langlands - awesome
Lewis - legendary
Johns - just f**king that gooood

hard to split those three, they all had special abilities and used them to the utmost..
its just a pity they have (had) to retire :(
altho there are a heap, but these blokes delivered enuff...

others
Smith - Billy
Raudonikis
Beetson

Sorry cant pick one ---
----------------------------------------------

Time is a giver and a taker....
a bit like my girlfriend lol

salivor

First Grade
From those that I've seen Lockyer and Johns are on a level well above all the others like Daley, Langer, Lazarus, Tallis, Webcke, Harrigan, Sailor, Renouf etc.

Azkatro

First Grade
Langer and Sterling for me. It still amazes me the extent of which defensive lines used to hold off Langer because they were so wary of what he was about to do - and he could still deliver. Sterling was remarkable in that, just like Mick said about Lewis, could read the play two or three tackles ahead. Two champion halfbacks.

greentooth

Juniors
Andrew Johns is the best i've ever seen.

But as a pair i would pick Stuart and Daley over anyone in a team. They dominated the game on every level.

JJ

Immortal
Forwards
Glenn Lazarus - no coincidence that teams he played in won.
And Brad Clyde - just phenomenal

Backs
Wally Lewis - he made and dominated origin
Sterling/Kenny/Daley - all phenomenal

Tommy Smith

Referee
Big Mick said:
Brad Fittler - Best i've seen, bit off the past couple of years, but at his best, was lethal.

Greg Alexander - Very underrated halfback, never really got a shot at Rep level, but one of the best i've seen.
Freddy has played a more subdued role so far this year as thats the plan but just wait until the semi's come round. And Freddy had an awesome year last year. He finished second in the Dallym's and led the league in try assists and was second in line break assists. His year was all undone by his shoulder injury IMO.

As for Brandy, Fittler rates him the best halfback he has played with or against. He certainly was very underrated.

andrew flap

Bench
1.Lewis- SOO in particular
2. Fulton -1973 Grand final
3. Johns - All round class player and he kicks goals as well.

That was very hard to admit as all of those players come from teams that I don't support. ET and Rogers get the sentimental vote but no prizes for guessing why. :roll:

melon....

Coach
I dont rate Sterling as much as Langer, only because Sterling played behind an awesome forward pack most of his career.

In terms of halfbacks...Langer, followed by Hastings. Hastings wasnt as arsey as Johns in terms of kicking, but I defy anyone to name one player with a bigger heart than Horrie. We all know Johns has a bung heart....

RainMan

Juniors
Dally Messenger - he was just something special to watch. Could always rely on ole' dally to do something great for the team.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stuart

he has the best football brain ive ever seen, he changed the way the game is played, he knew what the opposition was gonna do before they did. Add to that his brillient passing game and more than capable kicking, and on top of that his footy brain is still working a treat in the coaching ring :clap: :clap:

ozbash

Referee
stacey jones
ian roberts
olsen filliapina
mal meninga
gordon tallis
henry paul
mark graham
steve roach
paul sirronen
kevin tamati
fred ah khoi

pretty much in that order :clap:

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Lozza, being a raiders supporter this was easy and the fact that his one of the few players that when he retired it felt like something was wrong when i would watch the raiders....or football..lol

the Volcano, the guy is a machine and i really do miss watching him play in the nrl...

Terry Lamb, i grew up surronded by bulldog fans...the things i would see this little nuggett pull off was amazing...

Brett Mullins, lol hasnt been mentioned yet and he was clearly impressive to watch...i still remember playing footy in primary school yelling out "mullins!!!" each time I'd make a break..lol

so many players that i could have mentioned...

^ Pando

retired
Toughest bloke I ever saw was Geoff Robinson from the Bulldogs.
He had absolutely no respect for his own body. He'd smash through an opposing prop and keep running as if he hadn't been there.
I can't think of anyone in the modern game that has the balls he had.
Some people compare Martin Lang to him, but that's an insult to Robinson.
He did more than just hit the first line and fall over. I wouldn't mind betting that there are a few blokes with Robbo's sprigs still imprinted in their chests as a testimony.

Red Bear

Referee
Fittler - Absolutely love watching him play at his best, he just looks dangerous all the time and that step which still isnt being stopped. Sensational Player.

Lockeyer - Excellent player despite being a queenslander. Brilliant really, Broncos/Queensland without him would bother be gooone.

Larson - although biassed he was a sensational workhorse, much the same way fitzgibbon etc are at the moment. Holds the record for most appearences in a rown in SoO(24 for QLD) and alway gave his best. Still helping out at North Sydney as coach.

Johns - Although he's been pissing me off recently cant not mention him, he is a sensational footballer.

Coaster

Bench
^ Pando said:
Toughest bloke I ever saw was Geoff Robinson from the Bulldogs.
He had absolutely no respect for his own body. He'd smash through an opposing prop and keep running as if he hadn't been there.
I can't think of anyone in the modern game that has the balls he had.
Some people compare Martin Lang to him, but that's an insult to Robinson.
He did more than just hit the first line and fall over. I wouldn't mind betting that there are a few blokes with Robbo's sprigs still imprinted in their chests as a testimony.

Thats my best mates uncle, he used to eat beer glasses for fun, mad as a two bob watch

Booyah

Bench
Ettinghausen and Lockyer.

Didn't get to see the likes of Rogers, Langlands etc, so my choices are based on what I have seen. Those 2 are the best.

Honourable mentions:
Daley
Lewis
Clyde