What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Premiers in the last 16 years?

Valheru

Coach
I think it's Manly 2008 (the cumulative finals for/against was like 800-4) but I would say that.

Realistically only fans from clubs that didn't win a premiership in the aformentioned period can make a call on this with objectivity IMO

Depends what your metric is. There is logic to say we should only count minor premiers turned premiers as they won both the regular season and the finals that eliminates some pretty handy teams though including 2021 Penrith, 2020 storm, 2019 roosters, 2012 storm and 2008 manly.

Every one of those teams did finish 2nd though.

yobbo84

First Grade
Like to know the average age of the past 20 GFs. IMO, the Panthers will be on a good run for the next 5 years given their age and the fact that they do have room for improvement, especially in attack.
Shit happens though. We had some very good young players in '14... but then Dylan Walker went off the rails, Kirisome Auva'a got suspended for 12 months, Russell Crowe pissed off Luke Keary, George Burgess busted his hip and was never the same, Kyle Turner busted his neck and was never the same, Api Koroisau left for more game time, etc.

You'll be top 4 for several years, but absolutely everything has to come up Milhouse to win a competition.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its hard to say, no one was going to beat Brisbane in 2000 if you include that.
The Roosters in 2002-2004 were dominant and should have won 3 in a row. But not good enough and Ricky blew it.
Aside from that from that no one really has stood out more than others.
St George were always going to win in 2010 but was it an even field, no I don't think so.
Souffs they took 2 years to get the gift. You can say what you want but they went downhil because the gift stopped giving.
But I think in the rest its been at least 2 or 3 teams that could have won

Asotasi, SBW and Thurston on the bench.

Maitua would have been on the bench too except Price getting injured the week before.
Of course they had a great side. They acquired them illegally and then lost no-one when they were finally caught cheating. Massive asterix on that GF win. Not to mention Hazams double movement try

Interesting you feel that way. I was never confident in 2018 until half time of the GF.

2019 though I never doubted that we would win the comp from the kick off of round 1.
Hovered consistently around the top four even when the team wasn’t firing properly but knew Teddy and Cronk would settle in eventually. Guess the bookies were thinking the same. Less confident the following year but mainly because b2b was historically difficult.

Jono078

Referee
Some may find this interesting. With my sim I have to collect data for points scoring etc and scale them. This is how each premiers stats look for attack and defense when scaling it to a rating out of 10;

TeamNRL CoachesAttackDefenceTOTAL
(07) Melbourne StormCraig Bellamy9.21019.2
(20) Melbourne StormCraig Bellamy9.49.518.9
(13) Sydney RoostersTrent Robinson9.49.518.9
(17) Melbourne StormCraig Bellamy9.39.418.7
(08) Manly Sea EaglesDes Hasler9.49.218.6
(21) Penrith PanthersIvan Cleary8.69.918.5
(19) Sydney RoostersTrent Robinson9.29.218.4
(14) South Sydney RabbitohsMichael Maguire8.69.217.8
(12) Melbourne StormCraig Bellamy8.69.217.8
(10) St George Illawarra DragonsWayne Bennett7.89.817.6
(11) Manly Sea EaglesDes Hasler89.517.5
(16) Cronulla SharksShane Flanagan8.68.817.4
(18) Sydney RoostersTrent Robinson8.19.217.3
(15) North Queensland CowboysPaul Green8.78.317
(09) Melbourne StormCraig Bellamy7.69.316.9
(06) Brisbane BroncosWayne Bennett7.58.916.4

Hutty1986

Immortal
Its hard to say, no one was going to beat Brisbane in 2000 if you include that.
The Roosters in 2002-2004 were dominant and should have won 3 in a row. But not good enough and Ricky blew it.
Aside from that from that no one really has stood out more than others.
St George were always going to win in 2010 but was it an even field, no I don't think so.
Souffs they took 2 years to get the gift. You can say what you want but they went downhil because the gift stopped giving.
But I think in the rest its been at least 2 or 3 teams that could have won
2010 not being an even field 😂 wtf

I have never seen a side so ill-prepared for a GF than the Roosters in 2003, and that is coming from a Panther fan.

Actually, maybe the 2020 Panthers compares…

Jono; I see a few of your simulations had one team conceding 50. Can we confirm that your programme is intuitive enough to recognise the curse, and these teams were automatically excluded from the chance to win the Premiership?

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
I have never seen a side so ill-prepared for a GF than the Roosters in 2003, and that is coming from a Panther fan.

Actually, maybe the 2020 Panthers compares…
2001 Eels?

Jono; I see a few of your simulations had one team conceding 50. Can we confirm that your programme is unitive enough to recognise the curse, and these teams were automatically excluded from the chance to win the Premiership?
Haha nice pick-up... The curse isn't programmed in, but after this year I think it's about time I add it!

Valheru

Coach
Not sure if anyone else picked up on it, but I thought it was really ironic they lost week 1 of the finals and got their revenge in the GF!

Did you run the simulation 100 times mate like the others you do? Any stats on the most common premiers, grand finalists etc. After 100 simulations?

TheRam

Coach
My favourite premiers of the last 2 decades have been the Cowboys. They and that GF gave me a kick like no other over that time period.

I also liked the Bunnies, because I have a soft for them otherwise I couldn't give a toss about the rest, especially the multiple winning teams that just suck the life out of the comp. You know who you are.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Depends what your metric is. There is logic to say we should only count minor premiers turned premiers as they won both the regular season and the finals that eliminates some pretty handy teams though including 2021 Penrith, 2020 storm, 2019 roosters, 2012 storm and 2008 manly.

Every one of those teams did finish 2nd though.
In fact the metric should be the quality of the opposition. Melb were weak this year which is a black mark against PENRITH considering they couldn't do the job last year against Smith.

I don't remember the other premiers other than my team. You couldn't dismiss them against this PENRITH side

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it's Manly 2008 (the cumulative finals for/against was like 800-4) but I would say that.

Realistically only fans from clubs that didn't win a premiership in the aformentioned period can make a call on this with objectivity IMO
Great, that qualifies us as Warriors fans.

I say Manly 2008 too. 38-6, 32-6 and 40-0 in the finals series. Smashed an incompliant side in a GF record score, and to zero no less. There just hasn't ever been dominance like that in the modern era.

Iamback

Coach
Being minor premiers is cursed.
for that reason the Dragons of 2010 would be up there although that year the Storm lost all their points

Jono078

Referee
Did you run the simulation 100 times mate like the others you do? Any stats on the most common premiers, grand finalists etc. After 100 simulations?
No, not for this one. This is just pure simulation of one result and adding in the "any given day" factor to the results, but usually the cream rises to the top anyway.

In fact the metric should be the quality of the opposition. Melb were weak this year which is a black mark against PENRITH considering they couldn't do the job last year against Smith.

I don't remember the other premiers other than my team. You couldn't dismiss them against this PENRITH side
Funny you mention that.

I've got two videos I've done, just need to edit and upload. One is how far Andrew Johns can take the 2021 Knights and then the other is what if Cameron Smith had not retired this year, both interesting (IMO of course).

Latest posts