What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best signing for 2006

Souths best signing for 2006

• Joe Galavoa ( Back rower ) from Penrith

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Stu Webb ( Hooker ) from Roosters

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Jamain Lowe ( Prop ) from Cowboys

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Shane Elford ( Centre ) from Tigers

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Paul Mellor ( Centre ) from Sharks

• Nathan Merritt ( Utility back ) from Sharks

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Ben Rogers ( 5/8 - Lock ) from Penrith

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Balin Cuples ( Centre ) from QLD cup

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Watching the finals series, I kept a close eye on Elford. I have never seen a player keep Gasnier so quiet. As much as I think Galavao will be a good signing for Souths, I think Elford will be our best signing. It is something that we have lacked in the centres. Soone who can defend.

Out of our other signings
Merritt-Will get his shot when there are injuries.
Mellor-Is not guaranteed a starting position.
Webb-With the re-signing of Walker might have to focas on Lock or it will be on the bench.
Lowe-Has alot of Mongrel about him. Will be coming off the bench. Has to watch out as there are plenty of youngsters in that same position. Players such as Manoukafoa, Greenfield, Young and Firman.
Rogers-Will be vying for the lock position left vacant by Harrison. Has competition from both Stuart Webb and Minichiello.
Balin Cupples-Don't know to much about him. Can't see him moving out of Premier League. Could prove me wrong.

tiger_nick

Bench
Ive never really rated Elford. Last year his hands were terrible and at the start of the year he was about my fourth choice center. First half of the year when not injured he did very little and spent some time in reserves.

However since the game against the Storm at Leichhardt when he didnt give Matt King a centimeter to move, he has been sensational. Only once can I remember his opposite having a better game then him and it was Clinton Toopi (who actually played awesome, best game in years). For the Dragons semi Sheens moved him over mark Gaz and he didnt let anybody down. This was a massive sign of respect as Fatz is also a solid defensive center.

Very passionate player who I have no doubts will be a great signing for Souths.

brook

First Grade
timmeah said:
Balin Cupples is someone that might surprise the club next year he extremely quick centre. Wait till you see him in space next year if he gets the opportunity in the top grade. The other thing is that he always gets wraps on telly up here in qld by his coaches about his professional attitude at training. The only negative worrying me is that he took a few head knocks this year in QCup.

Balin takes head knocks every year - he's as gutsy as they come and hasn't really learnt that sometimes it might pay to go around players 5 times your size rather than through them

I'll be wishing him well at souths - if he gets a run he may suprise, unlike most players with his pace he's a natural footballer not just a sprinter, he's got all his skills the only thing thats held him back from making it is his size (he is VERY small theres no denying that). I'd like to see him given a decent shot to see what he does with it.

Latest posts