Best sportsman to ever walk the Earth?

Discussion in 'Other Sport and Pastimes' started by Wizardman, Jan 24, 2017.

1. shiznit

shiznit Coach

Er... the fact that the entire Russian Olympic program was caught for systematic widespread doping??

And I'm not just picking on Russia.

I mean seriously... there's a reason why Flo-Jo isn't included in lists like this... despite holding insane world records that to this day can't even be touched...

2. alien

alien Referee

Rubbish! He was full natty brah! Just like Lance Armstrong!

3. alien

alien Referee

4. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash Bench

I'd like to hear Anthony Mundines highly respected opinion on this topic

veggiepatch1959 likes this.
  5. alien

alien Referee

anyone that doesn't recognize "the man" mundine as the best sportsman ever is just racist brah!

6. roostersrule2

roostersrule2 Bench

Jarrod Croker.

7. Amin Yashed

Amin Yashed Juniors

Albert Rosenfeld only 2nd to the famous Rimmy Casti

8. Parra

Parra Coach

Valentino Rossi

Frankus likes this.
  9. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

I never saw Bradman so...

Tiger Woods.

The most beautifully gifted golfer the planet has ever seen. Every part of his game was exquisite, and he stood a mile above every other player for a significant period. Cruelled by injuries and a healthy libido.

Regardless, he was near flawless for ten years in one of the most highly skilled and competitive of world sports. I know it is fashionable to ridicule Tiger these days but to me he was the best.

10. DC80

DC80 Juniors

You are dead right to say basketball is niche. How many places outside North America does it have a high profile? Very very few. Yes there are basketball courts everywhere, but it’s not played to a competitive level like it is in the US. It’s more a recreational game outside the US. The basketball league is over 75% African American, so it’s not only predominantly an American pastime, its even more concentrated than that.

I wouldn’t have swimming either as it too is very concentrated on nations where water based activities are common (predominantly nations with warmer climates). Plus there’s also the drugs angle, any power/speed based sports will always be suspicious. Also participants of such sports could never be labelled a “genius” for what they do is straightforward...so no Bolt either.

The US has by far the single biggest media market, most online sites etc, yet in the top 200 most popular sites the only North American sportsman on the list is Lebron James, a basketballer, who comes in at #196.

http://fanpagelist.com/category/top_users/view/list/sort/fans/page1

A sportsman that is great at a (predominantly) regional sport could never qualify for the greatest on Earth.

My three, two of which are currently active;

Messi
    Federer
    Ali

Messi, as he’s the greatest dribbler that’s ever played the world’s biggest sport, Federer, as he’s the greatest shot maker ever, Ali, possibly not the greatest boxer ever (many say Sugar Ray Robinson), but he’s close to it, was involved in two of the greatest fights, and outside the ring he’s the greatest sports personality ever.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  11. gUt

gUt Coach

I think it's worth separating sports like athletics, swimming, boxing etc and games like cricket, football and tennis.

12. DC80

DC80 Juniors

Should have given a mention to Tiger Woods. Although not as successful as Nicklaus I believe he’d have past him but for the injuries that curtailed his career. Plus he’s an icon who made many people take up golf.

While not in the conversation of the greatest sportsman, I’d give Ronaldinho the title of the sportsman that brought the most pleasure to people. If there’s a sportsperson who looked to have enjoyed themselves more I’ve yet to see them. For a period of five years he made people smile at the ridiculous things he pulled off on a weekly basis, both with Barcelona and Brazil.

13. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash Bench

He also enjoyed the donuts a bit too much the last couple of years