What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best wins at Kogarah

Victoire

Juniors
Round 12, 2023 has to be on the list! Couple of hail mary kicks in the dying seconds to steal victory over the Roosters a few days after sacking a shit coach, on indigenous round in front of a couple of beloved Kogarah kings Nathan Blocklock and Choc Mundine. Special stuff, whats not to love?

Here are my other contenders (from my own meagre memory)

Round 14, 1993, v Manly
21-20 victory to Saints. The silvertails were always tough to beat and they were comp heavyweights again in 1993. Pretty sure this was the day Ian Roberts absolutely destroyed Mick Potter in a tackle... but the red v got the last laugh. Big Tony Priddle trampled his way to the equalising try in the final minutes before Noel Goldthorpe coolly slotted the winning field goal.

Round 7, 1999 v Canberra
44-2 thumping. Deadset carnival atmosphere at Kogarah that day as we tore the Raiders apart with gleeful abandon, also the day Tingha Blacklock and Anthony Mundine commenced their somersaulting backflipping celebrations - as well as scoring a hat-trick and try double respectively. Fun time.

Round 24, 2004 v Manly
Trailing 24-4 at halftime, in the rain, I don't begrudge the thousands of Dragons fans who took an early mark that day. They will probably still be punishing themselves for missing out on the most ridiculous comeback since Lazarus, as Nathan Blacklock, in his final game at the grand old venue, by sheer force of will helped drag the Saints to an insane 36-34 win.

Round 24, 2005 v Parra
25-22. Pretty sure this was the game the poor Mason family couldn't get tickets to, because quaint little Jubilee was sold out days in advance for a top-of-the-table clash with the comp leaders Parra. The Eels flogged us a few weeks prior (the night of the Barrett v PJ Marsh punch up), but on a bright sunny day at our heaving home ground we were never headed, and the only thing Trent Barrett punched was a first half field goal. We felt confident of handling them in the 2005 grand final which would unquestionably occur in a few months time

Round 13, 2006 v Parra
One of the coldest, wettest nights in Earth's history, unsurprisingly led to a "dour" (aka boring) exhibition of rugby league, and a rare nil-all halftime score. In the 69th minute John Morris kicked an easy field goal to put the Eels ahead, then in the 75th Ben Hornby drove a low trajectory shot from 30m to tie it up, then in the 78th Benny slotted a perfect beauty again to snatch a 2-1 victory. (Let's pretend Matt Cooper's bonkers try in the final seconds didn't happen).

Round 12, 2007 v Brisbane
11-4. It had been a bludger of a season, with Gaz doing his pec and Matt Head looking like a crippled shadow of his former self etc etc and we'd only managed 3 wins in the first 11 rounds. The club rolled the dice and made a key mid-season signing in the halves. A young headger-sporting kid named Jamie Soward. Rushed into the number 7 jersey for friday night footy with the Broncos, the future premiership winner announced his arrival in style, kicking the match sealing field goal.

Round 21, 2009 v Storm
26-12. Big crowd to see the Bennett-era Dragons take on a team of dirty stinking cap cheats that had the wood on us since the 99 grand final (Origin periods excluded). We trailed 12-8 at halftime but when Jamie Soward threw an orgasmic long ball to Shellharbour's own Wendell Sailor to score in the corner, the crowd spontaneously broke into a chorus of "When The Saints", even though there were still 20 minutes left. We sealed the result a few minutes later thanks to a try to... checks notes... Jon Green?

Qualifying final, 2010 v Manly
12 months earlier Jarryd Hayne (nb: a convicted rapist) carved us up and helped send the minor premiers packing in straight sets... so there were some demons to exorcise out there on our home patch. As Mark Gasnier raced 80 metres in front of a heaving red and white hill for the final try of a 28-0 shellacking, the joyous atmosphere at Kogarah was permeated by the strong scent of destiny. It was finally our year

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
1983: we long odds to make the Semifinals as we had a mixed year under Roy Masters. We faced the premiers of last 2 years the mighty Parramatta side (premiers again in ‘83) and we blew them off the park 32-2! We then went into a Semi final playoff with Easts, then Balmain and finally Canterbury which we lost narrowly. This game imo triggered us to another level over the next 2 years. Could not believe it at the time!

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Victoire, thanks for the great memories. My favourite would be the 2004 comeback against Manly. As you say, a fightback led by Nathan Blacklock. I recall a Manly set where Nathan was involved in 5 of the 6 tackles. He was absolutely on fire. Got a close up photo of him after the game, as you say his last at Kogarah. Some years later I knew he was going to visit Taree TAFE so I went there to see him. Had a great chat with him, just a lovely fellow. He happily autographed that photo. I was pleased I could tell him I had visited Tingha and seen the pool and footy field he had given his home town.

A small point, Jon Green was not at the club in 2009. Maybe not till 2011.

Finally I would like to add Round 1, 2017, a smashing of the much more fancied Panthers team by 42-10 in the pouring rain. A victory of Mary over Hook, two of the club's worst ever coaches!

Victoire

Juniors
Victoire, thanks for the great memories. My favourite would be the 2004 comeback against Manly. As you say, a fightback led by Nathan Blacklock. I recall a Manly set where Nathan was involved in 5 of the 6 tackles. He was absolutely on fire. Got a close up photo of him after the game, as you say his last at Kogarah. Some years later I knew he was going to visit Taree TAFE so I went there to see him. Had a great chat with him, just a lovely fellow. He happily autographed that photo. I was pleased I could tell him I had visited Tingha and seen the pool and footy field he had given his home town.

A small point, Jon Green was not at the club in 2009. Maybe not till 2011.

Finally I would like to add Round 1, 2017, a smashing of the much more fancied Panthers team by 42-10 in the pouring rain. A victory of Mary over Hook, two of the club's worst ever coaches!
Love that Tingha story! And yep I recall that set of six as well, here's the proof for anyone who doubts it! At the 29:20 mark

Jon Green was definitely with us though mate. He was a Nathan Brown signing in 07 or 08

dannyt

Coach
Love that Tingha story! And yep I recall that set of six as well, here's the proof for anyone who doubts it! At the 29:20 mark

Jon Green was definitely with us though mate. He was a Nathan Brown signing in 07 or 08
I bought my two young sons to the game. Rain, cold, whinging kids, and the crowd exiting when we were down by 24. My sons were seriously annoying the crap our of me with wanting to go home, and the score did nothing to soothe my mood. I snapped. I made it clear we were not moving until the bitter end. End of story. No negotiation. Glad we stayed, but Nathan!!! Why the hell did you kick the ball back to Manly at the end?????

jeffdragon

Bench
What about the one where Sowiie was interfeared with by Greg Eastwood when the dogs match winning try was disallowed.
Thought it was gping to be a try .
Was there with brother in law a dogs fan.
We were walking around the ground to get out as, I was so sure it would be a try.
We were on top.all game and nearly let it slip.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Did Nathan Blacklock score that try with the "room service" bounce at Kogarah or was it Leicharrdt when they beat the Tigers. That was a cracker of a game. If that was a Kogarah I would have that up there as a great game of Kogarah. How good was Nathan Blacklock. Geez I loved watching him play.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Did Nathan Blacklock score that try with the "room service" bounce at Kogarah or was it Leicharrdt when they beat the Tigers. That was a cracker of a game. If that was a Kogarah I would have that up there as a great game of Kogarah. How good was Nathan Blacklock. Geez I loved watching him play.
At Leichhardt, Was on the hill that day, went ballistic, just like last weeks against the rorters..

Walpole

Juniors
Some great memories here and pleased to say I was there for a lot of them.

One beauty that needs to be on there;

Round 9, 2018 v Melbourne - cleaned the Storm up by 20 and Jeremy Latimore punched Cameron Smith in the nuts.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Round 12, 2023 has to be on the list! Couple of hail mary kicks in the dying seconds to steal victory over the Roosters a few days after sacking a shit coach, on indigenous round in front of a couple of beloved Kogarah kings Nathan Blocklock and Choc Mundine. Special stuff, whats not to love?

Here are my other contenders (from my own meagre memory)

Round 14, 1993, v Manly
21-20 victory to Saints. The silvertails were always tough to beat and they were comp heavyweights again in 1993. Pretty sure this was the day Ian Roberts absolutely destroyed Mick Potter in a tackle... but the red v got the last laugh. Big Tony Priddle trampled his way to the equalising try in the final minutes before Noel Goldthorpe coolly slotted the winning field goal.

Round 7, 1999 v Canberra
44-2 thumping. Deadset carnival atmosphere at Kogarah that day as we tore the Raiders apart with gleeful abandon, also the day Tingha Blacklock and Anthony Mundine commenced their somersaulting backflipping celebrations - as well as scoring a hat-trick and try double respectively. Fun time.

Round 24, 2004 v Manly
Trailing 24-4 at halftime, in the rain, I don't begrudge the thousands of Dragons fans who took an early mark that day. They will probably still be punishing themselves for missing out on the most ridiculous comeback since Lazarus, as Nathan Blacklock, in his final game at the grand old venue, by sheer force of will helped drag the Saints to an insane 36-34 win.

Round 24, 2005 v Parra
25-22. Pretty sure this was the game the poor Mason family couldn't get tickets to, because quaint little Jubilee was sold out days in advance for a top-of-the-table clash with the comp leaders Parra. The Eels flogged us a few weeks prior (the night of the Barrett v PJ Marsh punch up), but on a bright sunny day at our heaving home ground we were never headed, and the only thing Trent Barrett punched was a first half field goal. We felt confident of handling them in the 2005 grand final which would unquestionably occur in a few months time

Round 13, 2006 v Parra
One of the coldest, wettest nights in Earth's history, unsurprisingly led to a "dour" (aka boring) exhibition of rugby league, and a rare nil-all halftime score. In the 69th minute John Morris kicked an easy field goal to put the Eels ahead, then in the 75th Ben Hornby drove a low trajectory shot from 30m to tie it up, then in the 78th Benny slotted a perfect beauty again to snatch a 2-1 victory. (Let's pretend Matt Cooper's bonkers try in the final seconds didn't happen).

Round 12, 2007 v Brisbane
11-4. It had been a bludger of a season, with Gaz doing his pec and Matt Head looking like a crippled shadow of his former self etc etc and we'd only managed 3 wins in the first 11 rounds. The club rolled the dice and made a key mid-season signing in the halves. A young headger-sporting kid named Jamie Soward. Rushed into the number 7 jersey for friday night footy with the Broncos, the future premiership winner announced his arrival in style, kicking the match sealing field goal.

Round 21, 2009 v Storm
26-12. Big crowd to see the Bennett-era Dragons take on a team of dirty stinking cap cheats that had the wood on us since the 99 grand final (Origin periods excluded). We trailed 12-8 at halftime but when Jamie Soward threw an orgasmic long ball to Shellharbour's own Wendell Sailor to score in the corner, the crowd spontaneously broke into a chorus of "When The Saints", even though there were still 20 minutes left. We sealed the result a few minutes later thanks to a try to... checks notes... Jon Green?

Qualifying final, 2010 v Manly
12 months earlier Jarryd Hayne (nb: a convicted rapist) carved us up and helped send the minor premiers packing in straight sets... so there were some demons to exorcise out there on our home patch. As Mark Gasnier raced 80 metres in front of a heaving red and white hill for the final try of a 28-0 shellacking, the joyous atmosphere at Kogarah was permeated by the strong scent of destiny. It was finally our year
I was at a few of those game.

Latest posts