What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bets open with vote of no confidence in Raiders

woodgers said:
Bang on Schif. The TAB seems to be a constant source of humour. I reckon that if I picked their weekly favourites last season I would have finished even lower on the footy tip table than I did.

I love this, I really do. It is great because the players, while not allowed to bet do look at the odds. A lot of other NRL players will be doing the same as the experts and writing us off. I think the safest bet is that Matthew Elliott has or will show these prices to his side. Nothing like a little psycology to rev up a team.

It's funny, in Lozza's last year(i think, around that time anyway) Gus had us to come 11th. When we finished in the top 5 i emailed him and had a good laugh, he actually replied and said he was eating his words....he must eat a lot of words. :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Canberra are more likely to finish last this season than make a third consecutive finals appearance, according to the first full NRL betting market of the year released yesterday by SportsTab.

Panjabi said:
NRL 2005 Top 8 (Rds 1-26)
$3

NRL 2005 Wooden Spoon
$6.50

Am I missing something, or do those odds not contradict the story? I would say that based on the odds, they consider us a better chance to make the eight than finish last... unless SportsTAB have suddenly decided to pay less for the long shots and more for the favourites? :?

jed

First Grade
Schif_Happens said:
woodgers said:
Bang on Schif. The TAB seems to be a constant source of humour. I reckon that if I picked their weekly favourites last season I would have finished even lower on the footy tip table than I did.

I love this, I really do. It is great because the players, while not allowed to bet do look at the odds. A lot of other NRL players will be doing the same as the experts and writing us off. I think the safest bet is that Matthew Elliott has or will show these prices to his side. Nothing like a little psycology to rev up a team.

It's funny, in Lozza's last year(i think, around that time anyway) Gus had us to come 11th. When we finished in the top 5 i emailed him and had a good laugh, he actually replied and said he was eating his words....he must eat a lot of words. :lol:

For me, Gus's defining moment (although he was already well defined) was the Sun Herald footy guide in the 2003 season, where he tipped Penrith to finish stone cold last. I think this can serve as proof that experts :)lol: :lol: :lol:) can get it dead wrong.

ball boy

Bench
Yeah we came fourth in 2000 beat the panthers then lost to the roosters, there is a thread about it at another forum i go to.

skeepe said:
aussies1st said:
Canberra are more likely to finish last this season than make a third consecutive finals appearance, according to the first full NRL betting market of the year released yesterday by SportsTab.

Panjabi said:
NRL 2005 Top 8 (Rds 1-26)
$3

NRL 2005 Wooden Spoon
$6.50

Am I missing something, or do those odds not contradict the story? I would say that based on the odds, they consider us a better chance to make the eight than finish last... unless SportsTAB have suddenly decided to pay less for the long shots and more for the favourites? :?

You will find that odds for top 8 finishes are never really over $5 much. THe reason being that 8 of 15 clubs make the 8 so they arn't willing to risk anything by making many sides huge outsiders.

For cluibs like the roosters and dogs you will get something like $1.05 for them to make the 8.

skeepe

Immortal
Schifty said:
You will find that odds for top 8 finishes are never really over $5 much. THe reason being that 8 of 15 clubs make the 8 so they arn't willing to risk anything by making many sides huge outsiders.

For cluibs like the roosters and dogs you will get something like $1.05 for them to make the 8.

Hmmm good point I hadn't considered that. Well, with everyone writing us off I'd say we're specials for a top 4 finish :D

aussies1st

Staff member
Panjabi said:
The following are our prices from Sports TAB.

NRL 2005 Grand Final Winner
$67.00

NRL 2005 Minor Premiership
$151

I have no idea how this betting thing works but why are we better odds to win the Grand Final than the Minor Prem? Do they think we can't be consitent for 26 rounds but we can cause 4 rounds of upsets?
Anyway if someone want to punt go one of those two lol (just don't bet too much) ;-)

greeneyed

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Panjabi said:

$67.00

$151

I have no idea how this betting thing works but why are we better odds to win the Grand Final than the Minor Prem? Do they think we can't be consitent for 26 rounds but we can cause 4 rounds of upsets?
Anyway if someone want to punt go one of those two lol (just don't bet too much) ;-)

They are worse odds for us to win the GF. For $1 laid, you get $67 back if we win the GF. You get $151 if we win the MP.

thickos

First Grade
greeneyed said:
aussies1st said:
Panjabi said:

$67.00

$151

They are worse odds for us to win the GF. For $1 laid, you get $67 back if we win the GF. You get $151 if we win the MP.

Worse odds in terms of dollars GE but $67-1 means we are more likely to do it (in the eyes of the bookies) that 151-1. So the bookies think we're twice as likely to win the GF than win the minor :lol:

Raider_Azz said:
Didn't we finish 4th in 2000? We played the Panthers in round 1. 4 vs. 5.

Correct, and that was the year i had the email duel with Gus. Ah the good times, looking for more of the same this year :D

aussies1st

Staff member
on track record unless we win away games more or home games depending what on earth goes on with us i can't see us taking the MP. I agree that we are more likely to win the GF than the MP but u never know.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
I actualyl believe these odds are realistic.. If you disagree with them.. then put some money where ur mouth is:).

I am a big time Raiders fan..... yet i am resigned that this year may not be our best year.. We lost the nucleus of our team for gods sake:(

(Mclinden, Davico, Wiki, Drew, Monaghen, Evans) the only POSITIVE loss was the loss of Bulgarelli.. but how on earth can a team recover from losing such important players.. i guess we will see.. however thats why no bunter unless they are lookign for true gambling odds are willing to back us..

thier is always hope..and even if we have a shit year.. i know i'll always be backing the lime green..but yeahh ... their is nothign to be worried about.. Raiders should make the 8... Elliot wouldnt have it any other way..

GO CHOC:)

aussies1st

Staff member
lol true add that to the list of positvies. Elliot wouldn't agree but the fans sure would.