What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEWARE EELS! SEA EAGLES SET TO SOAR

Langers

Juniors
16/4/2004
By Haig Kayserian- Team One Eyed Eagle

‘It’s just a matter of time…’

This is seemingly the consensual answer when leading Manly Warringah Sea Eagles’ players are asked when they expect their ‘new-look’ team to click, when they expect their ‘new-look’ team to soar.

This ‘matter of time’ in question, is near. So near in fact, that the Parramatta Eels on Sunday afternoon at Brookvale Oval can expect an old-fashioned battle against a Manly side, eager as ever, to ‘get it right’ in front of their home faithful.

‘We’re definitely not far off,’ states halfback Michael Monaghan. ‘There’s definitely some good football to come from us…’

Monaghan’s personal form has typified that of his club’s. By his own frank admission, nor he or the Sea Eagles have managed to put 80 minutes of football together in any one game this season. Both he and the club have shown patches of brilliance, but only enough to earn them a 1-4 record early in the season.

The man they call Monas continued: ‘I’m starting to find my feet here, and it’s just a matter of the side putting 80 minutes together and that’s something I am looking at doing myself. I’ll be looking to do that in the next few weeks…’

When Monaghan and Manly’s other big names have got into groove during the year, the side has looked the goods and showed the enormous potential they collectively possess. Coach Des Hasler will be looking at the likes of Michael Monaghan, Steven Menzies, Andrew Walker and Chad Randall to put their hands up and lead the team on the park against the Eels for 80 minutes at Brookvale Oval.

Hooker Chad Randall has eased into some form following pre-season groin surgery. He played an excellent second half last weekend against the Bulldogs, laying on two tries for flying winger Scott Donald.

‘I think we’ve proved to each other that we can play,’ said the man with a famous name. ‘So, it’s just a matter of the 80 minutes which we say a lot but I think will come.’

Randall, along with his teammates, is as eager as ever to lash the Eels at Brookvale this Sunday. The team will be hoping to get their second win of the current campaign and their first home victory of the season to give their fans something to shout about. All the signs are there for a Manly revival; the first half effort against the Warriors two weeks ago and last week’s dramatic second half comeback against competition heavyweights, the Bulldogs, were encouraging. It is a matter of putting those two halves together for Des’ charges and coming away with a precious two competition points, which will see the side dubbed ‘
The Pride of the Penninsula’ keep in touch with the leading pack of the NRL.

Dual International and Manly fullback, Andrew Walker has pledged that an ’80 minute special performance’ from himself is ‘not far off.’ ‘I think once our forwards go forward, we’ll definitely beat any side in the competition.’

Those forwards led by former Eels, Daniel Heckenberg, Kylie Leuluai, Kane Cleal and Shayne Dunley will ensure they go forward against their former teammates and coach.

The Eels are destined to be the first side to witness an 80-minute Manly special. With Chad Randall, Michael Monaghan and Andrew Walker expressing their devotion to the Manly cause with supreme confidence, it is only a matter of time before they ‘get it right.’ Time is everything in the NRL and with 5 rounds gone the Sea Eagles know there ain’t no time better than now!

Go Manly, let’s see you soar…

Stagger eel

Staff member
so what your saying, is that it's taken Manly 6 weeks to learn how to play 80 minutes of football?? isn't this same side that Peter "Beeched Whale" Peters says will make the 8???

spare me the dribble!!

Langers

Juniors
Well about 10 of our regular 17 man squad are new to the club this year so their patchy form is expected. I expect most flaws to be ironed out and the halves to be clicking by hopefully rd 9 against the Dragons after we have the bye.

half

Coach
but the thing is all the players at your club are pretty ordinary, so even when they do gel your team will be, well, ordinary

Langers

Juniors
It's true we're short a few quality players. If Manly decides to privitise it will give us the immediate funds to go out and recruit some quality players.

We are operating well below the salary cap the moment. Management says we have room for 2 state of origin quality players under the cap at the moment and if Mcguinness gets a new club there'll be room for another.

The competition apart from the top few teams is pretty even, the closest it has been in recent years and therefore anything can happen. And that includes Manly winning this weekend!!

eelsta

Bench
Langers said:
It's true we're short a few quality players. If Manly decides to privitise it will give us the immediate funds to go out and recruit some quality players.

We are operating well below the salary cap the moment. Management says we have room for 2 state of origin quality players under the cap at the moment and if Mcguinness gets a new club there'll be room for another.

The competition apart from the top few teams is pretty even, the closest it has been in recent years and therefore anything can happen. And that includes Manly winning this weekend!!

manly are a real danger to us and anyone who thinks this will be an easy game us kidding themselves , good on manly for at least never giving in ,but i hope we thrash em. :D

Langers

Juniors
We won at Brooky last year and our team has improved since then. It's debatable whether Parra have or not.

wittyz chick

Coach
We have improved from last yr (if you go by results)
and if your talking about Eagles beat Parra at Brookvale that was only because of the referee getting it wrong!

Briza

Juniors
half said:
but the thing is all the players at your club are pretty ordinary, so even when they do gel your team will be, well, ordinary

Maybe so - Or Maybe Not!

Hope for your sake Manly dont put one over your team, because you suck in yellow!

And when Manly win on Sunday it will show that by your standards, Parramatta are less than "Pretty Ordinary" - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Briza! mate the one thing we are, out at Parramatta, is realists! eels fans are a tough act to please and when we're going bad there isn't a harsher critic out Parramatta way than the supporters.

Maybe it might be time for you guys to wake up and smell the coffee. :roll:

But having said that, let me remind you that it'll be an even money contest on sunday and as cocky as you and the players might be you'll know that you've been in a football game. We are 3 and 2 and we've definetly not hit our straps yet. not by a long way.

Eels Dude

Coach
Langers said:
We won at Brooky last year and our team has improved since then. It's debatable whether Parra have or not.

I think Manly are a threat to us on sunday and it should be a competitive match but I don't agree with your above statement at all.

Manly have lost seven matches in a row at home, finishing 14th out of 15th last year after an apalling back half of the season. This year they stand in the same position and 1-4. On the other hand Parramatta went into the match against Manly last year with a 2 - 7 win loss record, since then we have won 12 and lost 7. I think it's obvious which side has improved and which one hasn't.

Beaver_Online

Juniors
Eels Dude said:
Langers said:

I think Manly are a threat to us on sunday and it should be a competitive match but I don't agree with your above statement at all.

Manly have lost seven matches in a row at home, finishing 14th out of 15th last year after an apalling back half of the season. This year they stand in the same position and 1-4. On the other hand Parramatta went into the match against Manly last year with a 2 - 7 win loss record, since then we have won 12 and lost 7. I think it's obvious which side has improved and which one hasn't.

Good analysis Dude, probably the best thing posted in this thread. I think the point of this thread was to create debate...instead, it seems some find it a great opportunity to have a go.

Anyway, regardless, I think it will be tight scoreline, albeit high-scoring...and I hope there are plenty of Eels fans there to boost the atmosphere.

We seem to be meeting teams that a desperate for a win...now the shoe is on the other foot. Good luck Eels. Looking forward to the former Eels players facing up against their former team mates. :)

PB

Bench
If this game was at parra i would be betting on a 21+ victory, but being at brooky (despite Manly's poor record there) evens the game up slightly.

But the orginal poster has based his theory that Manly are sure things on the back of a player or two saying, "We are improving and 80 minute performance is just around the corner". well a) that corner could be a long sweeping corner that takes a while to get around, and b) i am sure eels players are saying EXACTLY the same thing 'we are improving, we still havent put together a full 80 minute performance.

I tipped the Eagles to pick up the spoon this year, on the back of attitude, lack of coaching expereince and below par talent depth. Hopefully this weekend the Eels will take another step to ensuring that i get some winning s from my bet.

Disco

Bench
u do realise the post i made, and the original post in this thread are copy and paste jobs from another site?

Goleel

Juniors
Any Parramatta result without Nathan Hindmarsh in the side can't be used as a fair comparison. The Eagles have a better side, yes, but the Eels have a few of their best players back on the park, and I'd expect the result to be similar to the game at Parra Stadium last year rather than the Brookvale game, and on top of that, we don't have Pat 'sideline' Richards in the team to let tries in by coming in from his wing anymore.

Langers

Juniors
Fair enough. A lot of your best players are in good form. We are a good second half team but if we can't improve our first half we will be in trouble this week. If the game is tight at half-time I will be confident of victory. That is a big if though.

Latest posts