What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest Upsets since 1980

horrie hastings

First Grade
I always enjoyed the Broncos fans upset when Gee didn't tap ball correctly on 10m line and conceded a late winning penalty goal vs Roosters at SFS for MNF during 1996.

Darren Junee’s try to draw level the score was an absolute cracker, Andrew Walker and Darren combining was absolute magic. Just wish Ivan Cleary would have converted from the side line to win the game instead of it coming down to the Andrew Gee tap on being the deciding factor. But what the hey, when Gee tapped the ball incorrectly and got penalised in front of the posts I jumped out of my seat celebrating like most of the Roosters supporters at the ground.

Darren Junee’s try to draw level the score was an absolute cracker, Andrew Walker and Darren combining was absolute magic. Just wish Ivan Cleary would have converted from the side line to win the game instead of it coming down to the Andrew Gee tap on being the deciding factor. But what the hey, when Gee tapped the ball incorrectly and got penalised in front of the posts I jumped out of my seat celebrating like most of the Roosters supporters at the ground.

I don't remember a lot of 96 these days but this was a rare highlight.

A win for the Loyalists over Super League that night.

T.S Quint

Coach
That's the game where they 'rested' Hindmarsh for a minor injury. Here Parra fans get your off season footy fix.

Tearing your PCL and having to get knee surgery only three weeks beforehand isn’t exactly what I would consider a “minor injury”. He was only a small chance of playing in the GF the week after if we made it.

But f**k you for making me remember that game.

TheFrog

Coach
Final round of the 2002 regular season, Northern Eagles (Manly) were at Brookvale, and to make the finals for the first time since 1998, all they needed to do was beat a Penrith side that finished equal second last on points with Wests, above only Souths.

Nek minnit: Penrith 68, Eagles 28. Apparently Peter Sharp went into the dressing room at h/t, said "You can all get f**ked!" and stormed out again.
Just an early preview of 2003. The Panthers went OK in 2002 once they lost the first 8 and were out of the running. NE would have known they would get a game. The Panthers had taken the 2nd placed Knights to the wire the previous game.

King hit

Coach
Ray's commentary when Junee scored that try is just amazing. It can fill even the most dour fan with excitement. He must've been thrilled at the opportunity to cry out his home town's name.

Latest posts