What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater Ninja Kicks

jc155776

Coach
After Manlys first try Slater slides in feet first in an attempt to kick the sh*t out of the manly player.

Typical Melbourne scummy tactics.

Calixte

First Grade
Actually what it really represents is how far in front of the other fullbacks Slater is.

His defence this year has been outstanding and a big part of that has been the way he has revolutionised what is more a baseball style slide to get under the attacking player while in defence.

It has saved a large number of tries for them this year and got them to the GF when Hannant was held up 2 mins to go two weeks ago...

Calixte

First Grade
I think it was pretty obvious what Slater was trying to do. :lol:

Get a copy of the Storm v Broncos game and watch the last 5 mins slowly...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
What's wrong with sliding? All player do it, unfortunate the way he went in but I really don't think he would have that sort of an intention. Quick nit picking on a minor thing. I've seen Wade do that a few times last year as well and no one gets upset by that! Mini did one against the Warriors a couple of weeks ago too, nothing really in that either.

Hanscholo

Bench
He needs to really think about stopping that. He has done it a few times and its worked well, but, he showed tonight just how dangerous it can be. I think the manly winger was lucky not to have broken his arm in that 2nd try. If someone did that to a player that wasnt attempting to score a try they'd get sent off and 12 weeks for it, id really prefer someone at Melbourne tell him to cut it out before it turns into another media circus and he cops a half season for it, and the bloke he injures cops a season out.

To the guys applauding slaters defence, come on. Do you really think that sliding at full pace with your studs up is a reasonable practice?

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
I dislike Slater just as much as the next normal human being.

But if my teams fullback didn't put his legs out to save a try, I'd be disappointed.

Calixte

First Grade
Of course...

Get with the picture.

This is professional bloody football not ring around the rosy.

:crazy:

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
It's that slide tackle that stopped Hannant from scoring in the Semi & got Melbourne into the GF.

Like the grapple, it's a good tactic for winning but should be stamped out eventually.

grapeape

Juniors
i thought i was the only one concerned about this...

its works most of the time... but its inevitable that studs will rip someones face open sooner or later.

common sense.

slater and the attacker are diving at each other at full speed. studs shouldnt be the play.

Slackboy72

Coach
I dislike Slater just as much as the next normal human being.

But if my teams fullback didn't put his legs out to save a try, I'd be disappointed.

And I wouldn't be dissapointed if that fullback got rubbed out of the comp by the judiciary.

It's illegal and dangerous. It's not a storm tactic (though Smith went in with the knees against Witt a few weeks back) but it is a consistent slater tactic.