What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater Ninja Kicks

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Does anyone seriously have any problem with the non Robertson instance that was posted in this thread. Sure it didn't stop the try but it was outstanding effort. Does anyone have any issue with the Hannant tackle?

Upon thinking about it, it probably should have been penalised due to him going studs up, but fullbacks sliding under the ball studs down and not attempting to kick the ball out, but to stop contact with the ground. That to me is perfectly fine and fullbacks should be doing it. I thought Slater's defence on Hannant was one of the best bits of Rugby League all year.

Calixte

First Grade
Umm...have you ever considered that using your feet to "slide under the ball" at speed would actually come under the definition of kicking?

I'm not talking about just his feet.

Slater often uses more his foot, leg and whole body to launch himself under the ball carrier to desperately keep them up in goal.

It is great desperation in defence that most teams wish they had at the back.

The fact Slater gets to many of these situations (because of his acceleration) when other players wouldn't highlights it with him in my view...

Still the best fullback this year. Stewart a close second.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Slater on notice for sliding tackles

By Ray Chesterton
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24468485-5006066,00.html

THE NRL has branded two feet-first tackles by Melbourne fullback Billy Slater in the Grand Final as dangerous and warned he risks suspension if he continues. NRL referees director Robert Finch warned Slater he needed to be "careful".
"If he should kick the ball out of a player's hands or make contact with a player's head the repercussions could be grave," Finch said.
"It could be a penalty try, an eight-point try, someone could be hurt or a player could be sent off."
Slater incensed many spectators in last Sunday's Grand Final by sliding feet-first at two Manly players trying to ground the ball for tries.
The two tackles occurred within 10 minutes of each other with Slater sliding towards Manly hooker Matt Ballin in the 23rd minute and then towards left winger Michael Robertson in the 33rd. Yesterday the match review committee pinpointed Slater's tackles - calling the first one "dangerous" and the second "very dangerous".
In both incidents the judiciary said referee Tony Archer could have cautioned Slater.
Finch said kicking the ball from a player's hands was illegal. "They can strip the ball but they can't kick it."

rupertpupkin

Juniors
Does anyone seriously have any problem with the non Robertson instance that was posted in this thread. Sure it didn't stop the try but it was outstanding effort. Does anyone have any issue with the Hannant tackle?

Upon thinking about it, it probably should have been penalised due to him going studs up, but fullbacks sliding under the ball studs down and not attempting to kick the ball out, but to stop contact with the ground. That to me is perfectly fine and fullbacks should be doing it. I thought Slater's defence on Hannant was one of the best bits of Rugby League all year.

It does not matter whether they go in "studs up" or "studs down". Whether a swinging kick, or a "slide", you cannot strike at the ball, in the players hands, with your boot. It does not matter what the defender says he is trying to do. It is illegal. Has been for a long time. It didn't even require the defender to make contact with the ball, in order to draw the wrath of the ref, either. An attempted boot swing, or similar, could be a send off. Though they seem to be more forgiving these days, and will only rule on actual contact with the ball, or player.

Last edited:

Slackboy72

Coach
Yesterday the match review committee pinpointed Slater's tackles - calling the first one "dangerous" and the second "very dangerous".
In both incidents the judiciary said referee Tony Archer could have cautioned Slater.
Finch said kicking the ball from a player's hands was illegal. "They can strip the ball but they can't kick it."

But Timmah said it was allowed! Oh noes! Does Timmah not know the rules now?

:sarcasm:

Calixte

First Grade
There are really 2 separate but related issues:

1. Kicking at the ball - which the NRL has now issued a directive about; and

2. Slater's body sliding under the ball in defence - still no problem.

It is a matter of how you go about it.

But they will clearly pay more attention to it now. The fact it was a Melbourne player is probably just a coincidence... :roll:

rabbitohs

Juniors
There are really 2 separate but related issues:

1. Kicking at the ball - which the NRL has now issued a directive about; and

2. Slater's body sliding under the ball in defence - still no problem.

It is a matter of how you go about it.

But they will clearly pay more attention to it now. The fact it was a Melbourne player is probably just a coincidence... :roll:

Of course the fact he nearly took someones head off in a grand final with half the bloody world watching had nothing to do with it, it was just the melbourne thing.

Calixte

First Grade
Of course the fact he nearly took someones head off in a grand final with half the bloody world watching had nothing to do with it, it was just the melbourne thing.

You too are gathering a reputation for following me around.

I am not a Melbourne supporter BTW.

But some of the obvious crap writing in Sydney newspapers especially over the last 5 years in particular have directly led to unfair or selective decisions at the judiciary. Melbourne has copped more than its fair share of that.

I call it as I see it...

rabbitohs

Juniors
You too are gathering a reputation for following me around.

I am not a Melbourne supporter BTW.

But some of the obvious crap writing in Sydney newspapers especially over the last 5 years in particular have directly led to unfair or selective decisions at the judiciary. Melbourne has copped more than its fair share of that.

I call it as I see it...

Following you around?? It's hard to f**kin avoid you, you are in every bloody thread!!! :sarcasm:

Anyway no worries mate, only posting lately because I broke my leg playing so I am sat at home bored crapless!

Calixte

First Grade
Following you around?? It's hard to f**kin avoid you, you are in every bloody thread!!! :sarcasm:

Anyway no worries mate, only posting lately because I broke my leg playing so I am sat at home bored crapless!

Ha ha :lol:

I'll pay that...

mik01

Juniors
goes to show those melbourne lovers here that your team ARE in fact using dirty tactics - how many more can be uncovered?

next time you cry 'melbourne bashing', take a look again at the tactics before opening your mouths..

jc155776

Coach
So I was right. And the wankers arguing otherwise have no clue.

His two feet first slides were f**ked.