What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy to re-sign for 3 years.

Ice777

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21119184-23214,00.html

Slater eyes three-year deal

By Brent Read
January 26, 2007
A YEAR which shapes as the most important of Billy Slater's career looks set to begin on a positive note with the Melbourne Storm fullback on the verge of signing a three-year contract extension with the Storm.

Slater has all but agreed to a new deal, ensuring last year's grand finalist has the bulk of its all-star backline locked up beyond this season. The club has already moved to tie up halfback Cooper Cronk, winger Matt King and brilliant teenage centre Greg Inglis, who is expected to make the transition to five-eighth this year. Slater is coming off the most troubled season of his career, two suspensions restricting him to 15 games and costing him any hope of retaining his Queensland State of Origin jersey.

In his absence, Karmichael Hunt grabbed the No.1 jersey for his state and country.
Hunt will start this season as the incumbent but Slater, one of the most potent ball runners in the game, will be expected to put pressure on the Brisbane custodian.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron confirmed he was close to finalising an arrangement with Slater's management and hoped to have a deal in place before the pre-season trials, which begin in a fortnight. "He wants to stay," Waldron said. "I would be pretty confident we would get something done ... by the time the trials start. Billy wants to be here."

Slater's retention is also a coup for the game in Melbourne. The former trackwork jockey is a cult figure at Storm, one of the few rugby league players recognisable in a city where the sport lags behind AFL. His continued presence is vital as the Storm continues to make inroads in the southern state.

Excellent news there. I'm sure Billy knows better than anyone he let many people down last year with his indescretions. But i'm tipping him to bounce right back this year to make up for those and have an absolute cracker which can only be a bonus for us considering he missed 10 or so games last year.

adamkungl

Immortal
He's copped a lot of crap since that brain explosion...though to me he doesn't strike me as a dirty player. If i was a Storm fan I'd be very happy with this news, every time he gets the ball it looks like something could happen.

philstorm

Juniors
Spot on, Adam.

It's amazing to see our backline still in check.

Slater
Turner
King
Quin
Geyer (perhaps Folau in a few years)
Inglis
Cronk

That's quite literally orgasmic. :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
I think with Gregy moving to pivot Slater will be more confident knowing he doesn't really have competition at full back anymore.

As for Cronk King and ingliss; Cronk is tied up til end 09, King til end 08 and Ingliss til end of 2010....

Slater had a rough year but he will be back big time this year..just another layer to add to the class of this team.

Lowdown

Juniors
Other teams' fans will always pick on Billy Slater, but the truth is nearly every team would want him as their fullback, or at least their winger.

He's one of the games few excitement machines - the Human Highlight Real - of the NRL.

Look for 2007 to be the year that Slater will score a 'screamer' - jump up on the shoulder of an opponent behind their goal line, catch the ball cleanly, then fall 6 feet to the ground to score. Mark my words it will happen.

LESStar58

Referee
Just got a text from a mate.....Slater is staying in Melbourne til the end of 2010. :clap:

I assume he heard off Fox Sports or something but look in the paper tomorrow. Nice to see players like Cronk, Smith, Ingliss and Slater sticking around to try and build on the something special we have going down here unlike that money grubbing little circus midget who farked off to Brookie!

Lowdown

Juniors
lotti said:
Orford also went back because of family and to what was left of his debut club.

Really....?

Money, concern about the Storm forward pack (whoops...), and an overwhelming desire to gain more exposure to increase his representative chances is what I think were the key factors.

freeridermx

Juniors
i remember speaking to a bloke that was a family friend of orfords a couple of years before he was off contact and he was saying that he enjoyed playing in melbourne but was very keen the get back close to his family so after that i wasnt suprised when he left . but hey how good did it turn out for us anyway with cronk couldnt be happier.

Rage

Juniors
Lowdown said:
He's one of the games few excitement machines - the Human Highlight Real - of the NRL.

Lol after watching Billy and then Greg Inglis each be "Human Highlight Reals" over the last few seasons I was wondering who would be the new "oh my god I can't believe this kid just did that!" for 07, but i'd much prefer to see a two man hijack of the highlights package.

Let purple inundate the highlights in 07.

Rage said:
Lol after watching Billy and then Greg Inglis each be "Human Highlight Reals" over the last few seasons I was wondering who would be the new "oh my god I can't believe this kid just did that!" for 07, but i'd much prefer to see a two man hijack of the highlights package.

Let purple inundate the highlights in 07.

Israel Falou will be the new super kid for 07 !!...bring it on !!.;-)