What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird appointed Dragons skipper

ledzep

Bench
http://superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=13446

Australian back row forward Greg Bird has taken over as captain of Catalans Dragons after just two substitute appearances.

The 25-year-old former Cronulla player takes on the job from fellow Australian Casey McGuire, who wants to concentrate on his role of hooker.

“I’m very proud to be the new captain and I will give my best to help build a winning side at the Catalans,” said Bird, who will make his full Super League debut against Bradford in Perpignan tomorrow.

hmmm

ledzep

Bench
This appointment just bewilders me
Even if you leave out Bird's dubious character, it just makes no sense to appoint a player who would still be unknown and not yet have the respect of the majority of the team, and who wouldn't know most of the team himself

jim_57

Staff member
I think it's reached the time where the "give him time" period is very, very close to ending, in fact i think it has ended. This decision is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time, why give the captaincy to a player who has played 2 games and has an ongoing very serious court case? FFS why not Mounis, Guisset, Mogg, Greenshields, Bosc?

druzik

Juniors
I think it's reached the time where the "give him time" period is very, very close to ending, in fact i think it has ended. This decision is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time, why give the captaincy to a player who has played 2 games and has an ongoing very serious court case? FFS why not Mounis, Guisset, Mogg, Greenshields, Bosc?

True jim, very interesting selection, after round 10 is usually my ending of the 'give it time period'.

Kevin Walters = John Monie ???

watatank

Coach
As a player Bird makes a fine captain. But considering the circumstances under which he went to Catalans with all the off field dramas, the fact he has only played two games (with no preseason) and that you have other worthy candidates (including the French national captain) it's really a stupid decision. On a side note, I don't see much wrong with the scoreline? Obviously a loss isn't good but Bradford are one of the top teams, right?

druzik

Juniors
bradford hadn't won a game before this I think.

And last year Perpignan was a fortress for Cats. This year they have lost 2 down there... granted the other was against Cas I think, and they seem to be on fire at the moment.

expansionist

Juniors
This is an absolutely disgraceful decision.

This to me is the decision of a coach who just plain has no idea whats going on or how to motivate his team.

Leaving aside his very dubious character as a person, he doesnt speak the language, hes been there 5 minutes, and as a leader he hasnt established any trust.

If I was an established French player I would be very dissappointed...

Hindyscrack

Bench
True jim, very interesting selection, after round 10 is usually my ending of the 'give it time period'.

Kevin Walters = John Monie ???

No, John Monie was once a respected coach who acheived something but is past his used by date.

Walters = Nuffie coach

marv

Juniors
I suppose Kevvie asked Bosc to boot the ball out on the full to give Bradford the ball in their own 40 in the last minute, or i guess he asked Bosc to miss that last minute goal that would have give them a draw against Cas?

I suppose Kevvie asked Bosc to boot the ball out on the full to give Bradford the ball in their own 40 in the last minute, or i guess he asked Bosc to miss that last minute goal that would have give them a draw against Cas?
They must have changed the rules in SL this year. I didn't realise that games were decided by single kicks these days and the other 79 minutes and 55 seconds are insignificant.

marv

Juniors
They must have changed the rules in SL this year. I didn't realise that games were decided by single kicks these days and the other 79 minutes and 55 seconds are insignificant.

They pretty much are when they decide the game. :roll:
Especially when the Dragons had been in both games for the said 79 minutes and 55 seconds.

Last edited: