What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Gets 10 Weeks

Aries

Bench
Jimbo said:
Tough but fair.

He's got 2 1/2 months to pull his head in.

I agree it was stupid and he got what he deserved, but could someone please tell me why it was 3 times worse than Webs tackle on Swain. They graded Webs tackle the highest in that grading, yet he gets to plea early and get a reduced sentence. Bird was not granted the same chance to plead guilty and cop a reduced sentence. The guy he attacked is also playing this week, with all teeth intact and no fractured jaw, unlike Swain...

It just reeks of inconsistency for mine and in hindsight, they should now drag ANYONE up that gets charged with a grade 4 or higher in ANY offence. That way they don't get a reduced sentence for starters and may cop more weeks for it. Web should be out for 10-12 week for mine also, or for as long as the player he injured is out!!

Aries

Bench
OZ FACTOR said:
hey ARIES i voted for gallaway so what about you dickwad :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I voted for Bird, "Keno-pencil dick" ;-)

Just shows what a fool you are if you come here saying he got what he deserved, yet YOU didn't vote for Bird... :roll:

Your teams next week, wait till then to troll will ya!! :p

PeacheyPower

Juniors
Bird would have been better off taking Marteene on in an all in brawl. We all know the judiciary does nothing about those,a'la Warriors Vs Broncos last year.

Honestly the NRL "judiciary" (I put it in commas because they don't really provide any justice) have to be the biggest bunch of cats going around.

"A spear tackle that's ends a players career......yeah 8 weeks sounds fine,whatever"

"WHAT!!! A player with a clean record knee'd another player and it did'nt draw blood!!! Well there's no question about it,give him 10 weeks!!!"

If they were working any other job they would have been fired after the first 3 days because they do the same task 50 different ways and 49 of those are the wrong way.

The Popper

Bench
Shoulda pleaded not guilty and called for video evidence. :shock:
Nope. Silly thing to do. It looked a lot worse than it actually was. No doubt he has been punished for bringing the game into disrepute rather than the actual damage done. I have no doubt if he played for one of the more favoured clubs his penalty would have been 2-4 weeks less.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Booyah said:
I think it was a bit hard, considering his clean judicial record. Obviously they want to make an example of him.

If he was a perennial offender like Morley or Beattie, 10 weeks wouldn't surprise me.

I was expecting at least 8.

They've set the precedent, now lets see if they stick to for the whole season. 10 bucks says they wont.
Dude?
Ten bucks says you won't see anything that low again for 5 years.
In fact that is the new benchmark.
I would have gave the max.
Clean record probably reduced it to 10.
It was an embarrassment to Rugby League, the club and himself.
Morley and Beats going high carelessly is very different to a blatant knee to an expose melon IMO. Not condoning Beats etc, but Bird was WAY out of line and deserves every minute.

Aries

Bench
Mr Angry said:
Booyah said:
I think it was a bit hard, considering his clean judicial record. Obviously they want to make an example of him.

If he was a perennial offender like Morley or Beattie, 10 weeks wouldn't surprise me.

I was expecting at least 8.

They've set the precedent, now lets see if they stick to for the whole season. 10 bucks says they wont.
Dude?
Ten bucks says you won't see anything that low again for 5 years.
In fact that is the new benchmark.
I would have gave the max.
Clean record probably reduced it to 10.
It was an embarrassment to Rugby League, the club and himself.
Morley and Beats going high carelessly is very different to a blatant knee to an expose melon IMO. Not condoning Beats etc, but Bird was WAY out of line and deserves every minute.

Wll, I have seen a lower act in the past three years. I'm not sure though if it was what the judicary awarded for a penalty, or the actual event. I remember seeing Andrew Johns, while having Adam Dykes pinned to the ground, take aim and deliberately elbow him in the head... he got a down grade to the initial charge and got 2 weeks... :? :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

DJDL

First Grade
I was hoping for more like 8 weeks, but wouldn't have been suprised at 12-15.

It's over and done with now. Time to move on and hope he learns from his mistake.

I dont know if he was found guilty or not, or just because all carry over points were wiped this year

But simple fact is he concussed Rodney Howe with a headslam

I thought he wasnt like that???
:?

SirShire

First Grade
Well it was downgraded and he was found not guilty. So in the eyes of the NRL it wasnt a headslam I guess.

quote from today's herald

After adding a 20 per cent loading for a high-tackle charge last season and deducting 25 per cent for pleading guilty, the panel announced that the offence was worth 1012 demerit points.

High tackle charge eh?
Headslams, high tackles, knees to the head
And sludge calls it a brain explosion?

If this was something that was inherent or a regular feature in his game I could understand the harshness of his penalty but this was a brain explosion.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/07/1081326802345.html

Wobbygong

First Grade
It was the lowest act I have seen in Rugby League since the Queens Steve Linnane was found guilty of eye goughing, and it WAs the lowest act from a Crounulla player ever that I can remember.

He deserved ten weeks and the club should shut up and cop it, move on and concentrate on getting our season back on track.

Go sharkies!!!!

carinashark

First Grade
I agree , I think he's lucky to get only 10 weeks! The Johns / Dykes suspention was the worst Ive seen . I was right in front when in happened and it was just as bad in effect , BUT, much more deliberate. I belive Bird 's was just a reaction "heat of the moment " stuff but still worth the 10 weeks . The Johns thing just opened my mind to a whole bunch of conspirisory theorys. Ihope he comes back a better player and in the mean time I hope he is coached to become a better player ( ball passing).
Carinashark

Latest posts