What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird inujury

Bird injured in Sharks win

June 22, 2008 CRONULLA star Greg Bird suffered a posterior cruciate knee ligament injury that will almost certainly rule him out of State of Origin III as the Sharks produced a controversial 16-14 NRL win over Parramatta at Toyota Stadium.
Bird was dragged down just inches short of the tryline in the 29th minute by Eels half-back Brett Finch and immediately grimaced in pain as his left knee buckled under the weight of both players.

Sharks officials said Bird had injured his PCL and would likely miss between two and six weeks, although that diagnosis cannot be confirmed until scans.

Without their key playmaker, the Sharks were still able to rally for one of their better wins this season, storming home for a two tries apiece victory in front of 17,547 fans.

But the result was mired in controversy after video referee Bill Harrigan awarded a contentious penalty in the 79th minute to the Sharks just 10m out and directly in front of goal after Eels prop Fuifui Moimoi collided with Brett Kimmorley after his long range drop goal attempt.

Kimmorley suffered contact to his chin from Moimoi and stayed on the ground, allowing time for Harrigan to review footage and tell whistleblower Shayne Hayne to award the penalty, ending the 14-all dead lock.

Luke Covell stepped up and slotted the simplest of penalty goals to secure the Sharks a win which keeps them equal top of the NRL table.

Although it was a controversial finish, the Sharks had been the better side despite the Eels being first to score when Taulima Tautai strolled over in the corner in just the 10th minute after an earlier 40m bust by Feleti Mateo.

Sharks hooker Isaac De Gois struck back in the 24th minute with a soft try from dummy half to reduce the deficit to 8-6 which remained the score into the halftime break.

The two sides traded penalty goals after the break before a sensational play by Sharks five-eighth Brett Seymour handed his side the lead for the first time in the 57th minute.

Seymour stripped the ball free of inexperienced winger Tony Williams inside the goal area and prop Luke Douglas simply had to flop onto the loose ball to score the easiest try of his career.

Sharks centre Ben Pomeroy had a chance to seal the result in the 72nd minute but was superbly held up in goal by Joel Reddy and Tautai on the last tackle.

Eels replacement Matt Keating was held up by Douglas three minutes later but on the very next play Finch swung the ball wide for Krisnan Inu to put Williams across for the leveller.

Full-back Luke Burt's conversion attempt fell just inches below the crossbar.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23903815-23214,00.html

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
We will struggle without him, that's for sure. However if we step up like we did in the second half without him, we may get far enough into the season to have him back when we need him. The bye is timely.

Tragic for his SOO prospects though...

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I have a gut feeling Birdie's injury isn't too bad. Just a gut feeling mind you but I have big guts :)

If it's only a 2-6 week job all the better for us. We simply have to dig deeper and keep the momentum going. 2-6 weeks off will give Bird the chance to get over at least 2 other nigglies he is carrying.

Bring him back freshened for a full on tilt in the semis.

nullasharks

Juniors
well he'd be missing this week due to state of origin, wouldnt be playin the week after due to the bye so that takes out 2 weeks, so he may be only missing around 3 games which isnt to bad

Alan Shore

First Grade
Bird is less critical to the team than Gallen. If we lose Gallen then I'd say goodbye to the season.

Since 73

First Grade
Won't hurt us as much as it could.
He would'nt've played next week anyway and we have a bye the following week, so he basically has 3 weeks to heal before we miss him.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Bird's actually talking up playing SOO III :)

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=51638

Bird hopeful of Origin miracle
By David Beniuk And Todd Balym
AAP

NSW five-eighth Greg Bird refuses to give up hope he'll still be a part of the Blues side for next month's State of Origin decider despite suffering a serious knee injury.

Bird damaged the posterior cruciate ligament in his knee in Cronulla's 16-14 win over Parramatta and will be sidelined for between two and six weeks, almost certainly ruling him out of the ANZ Stadium showdown with Queensland on July 2.

"I guess we have to wait and see," he said.

"We get the scans done (Monday) and we will just see how it is.

"A million different things can go wrong with your knee so we just have to wait and see."

Asked if he had given up hope of pulling on a Blues jersey, he said:

"Not yet. I usually heal pretty good, I'm not writing myself off yet.

"If it comes back with maybe a slight strain of the posterior cruciate, with a good recovery I might be right in a week and a half."

Bird's loss would be felt by NSW after he was man of the match in Origin I playing in his less accustomed position of five-eighth.

The Blues already have superstar centre Mark Gasnier in doubt with a back problem.

"It did hurt a lot, I remember looking up and seeing the replay and I hyper-extended it which didn't look too good," Bird said.

"It felt awful pretty much and hopefully it is just the shock of it.

"I'm sure they will know whether I am a chance or not to play before the selection process comes through."

A devastated Blues skipper Danny Buderus was also hopeful.

"It's devastating for myself and NSW," Buderus said after Newcastle's 16-14 loss to the Sydney Roosters.

"Knowing Birdy, he's a pretty competitive bloke and he'll be back before we know it."

Bird's injury could re-open the Origin door for Roosters skipper Braith Anasta, who set up his side's three tries with pinpoint kicking.

"It's bad luck for him I suppose and I didn't know he was injured and I feel for him if he's injured," Anasta said.

"It's uncontrollable, I can't control it so what's the point in me talking about it?"

Buderus, though, appeared to back Anasta's inclusion.

"We tried a lot of times to put as much pressure on Braith, his kicking game, and he's just got a fair arsenal there," he said.

"He can step inside you and hook it over the top and Braith would be a pretty handy acquisition for NSW."

Meanwhile, Manly's Brent Kite appeared to win the battle of the props as they seek one position in the Blues pack.

Kite ran for 190 metres and bagged a try in 17 hit-ups and made 19 tackles in Manly's 20-14 win over the New Zealand Warriors.

St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles also had a big game on Friday night, collecting 175m in 21 hit-ups with a huge 35 tackles.

Newcastle's Ben Cross made 94m and 19 tackles while the Roosters' Mark O'Meley made 104m and 21 tackles.

wolverine

Juniors
He could barely hold himself up after the injury actually occurred which was the worrying part. On the radio, Sticky said best case is most likely 2-3 weeks, with 8-9 weeks being the absolute worst case scenario. Wait for scans i guess and hope for the best.

warren

Juniors
i find it very hard to believe that he will be back in two weeks considering he could not move at all!

meanwhile did anybody hear/see what it is that parra fan was saying to birdy when he was behind the goal posts? the trainers called for security and a wanker chant started, would be interesting to see what actually did happen

cb4

First Grade
has anything been said yet??
my dad was listening via the radio n they callers said could be season ending
or r scans still waiting to happen??

Inferno

Coach
Getting an MRI tomorrow.

Sticky said at best 3 and at worst 6. Means nothing till he gets the MRI tomorrow though.

A PCL injury. Bird might be out for a month at minimum.

Now I've done it, got all fluffy about the Sharks making the semis, and a big ugly injury cloud starts hovering over the the Shire.

Stonecutter

First Grade
If he's not 100% for SOO I wouldn't risk him, put Anasta or Mateo if he's eligible.

This might mean we get another look at Filiga in FG. Hopefully he gets back soon though,

Latest posts