What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird to stay for 2017

Spoke to Jack today. I didn't ask him about his future, but he was very jovial and laughing. His interaction with the other players was great. He said he's fit, loved the opportunity he had this year and said that he will have to produce this year to meet his own expectations. He agreed he didn't want to be seen as a player who is mediocre in his second year.

I asked a couple of players about his prospects and they were certain he will stay. They all recognised the competition to hold their spots.

JACK Bird has delivered Cronulla Sharks supporters an early Christmas gift by agreeing to extend his future at the club until 2017.
The 2015 Dally M rookie of the year had contemplated returning to his junior club St George-Illawarra, but The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Bird informed Dragons management last week of his intention to continue his career at the Sharks — for at least the next two years.
Bird’s former Dragons teammates, who remain his close friends, are aware of Bird’s decision to verbally agree to terms with a Cronulla side hellbent on claiming the club’s first premiership trophy in 2016.
Bird’s decision to stay at the Sharks has also allowed the Dragons to shift focus and up the ante financially in their pursuit of disgruntled Gold Coast Titans centre James Roberts.
When contacted, Bird’s manager David Riolo declined to comment about the deal.
However, it’s understood there is only minor paperwork to be signed off on before the 20-year-old’s re-signing can be announced by the Sharks.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'd be jovial too if I had just signed what he is going to be on!

He's probably relieved that he's made a decision & can now get back to footy.

I find it interesting that he's only extended for 1 year.

Weren't we offering an upgrade on next year & 4 more years.

He must be backing himself. Good on him I say!

To those saying that he should f off, do you still think the same?

The extension of one year is very understandable,
The salary cap rises in 2018, there will be cash-a-plenty floating about.
St.George fans will try and say its because Bunji will be finished up, and the 5/8 spot is his, they don't realise that Chad Townsend's contract also expires then. There will be halves sopts up for grabs in numerous places.
Besides he should be locked in as a centre by then anyway.

shadowboxer

First Grade
To those saying that he should f off, do you still think the same?

See what bubby said.
Whilst by this stage I didn't give a rats what he did, it is the best option for us, pressure is on him to perform, which im sure he will.
I just hope we don't go thru the same machinations next year.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Terrible place that sting bar.

The joint scares me in a sense of how it can bring down players.

Not mentioning any names but I bumped into a few of the boys last week in there. It was a bit of a mix of first graders and 20's fellas.

The girls just throwing themselves at the boys was obviously expected but the ramifications of what was going on throughout the night due to these women, I thought I'd read about the next day. I'm not a stiff in anyway but these women are "toxic"

Frenzy.

Immortal
The joint scares me in a sense of how it can bring down players.

Not mentioning any names but I bumped into a few of the boys last week in there. It was a bit of a mix of first graders and 20's fellas.

The girls just throwing themselves at the boys was obviously expected but the ramifications of what was going on throughout the night due to these women, I thought I'd read about the next day. I'm not a stiff in anyway but these women are "toxic"

I would of had one though.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Of course, needs to make most of his career

I worry that it might not be a long career, considering his health challenges. He does seem to be a determined young bloke though.
When he matures a bit more he might realise it's not all about money.