What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacklock looking for contract

NATHAN Blacklock, one of rugby league's most exciting players of recent times, wants to make a shock return to the NRL despite being knocked back by the Sharks this week.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that the 30-year-old winger spoke with Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart on Thursday.
It's understood Blacklock asked former Dragons team-mate and Sharks forward Lance Thompson to set up the meeting.
After perusing his playing stocks at Cronulla, Stuart opted against tossing Blacklock an NRL lifeline, but the former Test flyer hasn't give up hope of finding a home elsewhere.
"It was great to catch up with Nathan and consider the prospect of having him return to the NRL with Cronulla,'' Stuart said.
"We had a good chat and it was clear he is passionate and is strong in his intentions about having another crack. I honestly did think about him joining the Sharks after our meeting.
"It's unfortunate for 'Tingha', but after looking at our playing roster and the amount of young talent we have at the club I decided against signing him.
"I'm more than confident that we can unearth our own star here at the Sharks.''
Asked if Blacklock still had the potential to make a fist of the NRL, Stuart said: "All league fans know what he's capable of, it's just a question of if he can find that form again.
"I suppose it would be up to him, but it was obvious he still believes he has something to offer.''
Blacklock announced his retirement from the English Super League last August after battling chronic knee problems.
However, a recent stint playing for Group 4 club Wests Lions is believed to have reignited his competitive fire.
Blacklock was the NRL's leading tryscorer from 1999 to 2001.
He was tagged the most exciting finisher in the NRL over the three seasons, scoring a phenomenal 76 tries in 80 games.
The winger was also the first player to score 20 or more tries in four consecutive seasons - after starting with 22 tries in 20 games in 1998.
During 2002, Blacklock was released from the Dragons to play rugby union for the Waratahs.
It was speculated that his move to rugby was motivated by his continued snubbing from the representative arena.
A brief return to the NRL in 2003 with the Dragons was cut short when he left at the end of 2004 to play in England with Hull.
However, the prospect of Blacklock returning to his beloved Dragons appears slim.
Dragons coach Nathan Brown also has a plethora of young talent at his disposal that includes twins Josh and Brett Morris, Matt Cooper and Luke MacDougall.
One club that may be interested is Penrith, with the Panthers openly declaring their intention to add more punch to their backline.
Blacklock also started his career at the Roosters and played his only Test under Sydney City coach Chris Anderson.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,21557312-5001023,00.html

TheParraboy

Staff member
"It was great to catch up with Nathan and consider the prospect of having him return to the NRL with Cronulla,'' Stuart said.
"We had a good chat and it was clear he is passionate and is strong in his intentions about having another crack. I honestly did think about him joining the Sharks after our meeting.
"It's unfortunate for 'Tingha', but after looking at our playing roster and the amount of young talent we have at the club I decided against signing him.

Blacklock should have boycotted the meeting and gone surfing like Lote ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
the only club I see that I see who could possably give Blacklock a chance would be Newcastle, Smithy likes him and they did lose a young winger for the rest of the season in the trials [Trent Salked].

mighty eel

Juniors
im shore eels would be looking 4 him if Eric Grothe went else where but i say he probly would go to Panthers or Knights

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Titans might be interested after releasing a couple of their first choice wingers, but I have a feeling Tingha wants a Sydney club... maybe Souths? Surely he'd be ahead of Mellor if he's still got some of his old spark.

parra pete

Referee
Would have been a terrific buy ten years ago..And he was close to becoming an Eel.
Go well for West Tamworth Lions this year....
Or he should make himself for the proposed "Super Pool" of players to make appearances in NSW & Qld Country Rugby League teams which WILL happen in the near future despite being considered "Pie in the Sky" by some administrators...