What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie Extended!

thebigredv

First Grade
Career feels like it is plateauing if I'm honest. He's got the goods but goes missing often and is ineffective at times. Much of our meagre play stems from poor go forward.

Remember having Ryles, Bailey, Smith come on the scene and just kept going to newer and newer levels. That's the kind of prop we need to identify and extend.

Blocker needs to improve considerably this season

The competition will be intense for a spot in the 17.

The few minutes Coric played showed me he isn’t far away from challenging for a spot in the forwards. Maybe late this season to life next season I can see him forcing his way into the side.

BLM01

First Grade
Blocka extended till the end of 2023

I hope he continues to improve and stays healthy - has has a lot of experience under his belt for such a young front rower

Source - Dragons.com.au
Yes I may be alone in my thinking here.
He may need to find a substle step, swerve, offload or whatever to improve his impact in attack and 2nd efforts in defence, but
he was almost alone last year for hitting the line with vigour and leg drive compared to many others who lumbered, stood there and watched and were flat footed.
1 year good extension decision as he is now reaching the age bracket to hit his peak as a front rower.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes I may be alone in my thinking here.
He may need to find a substle step, swerve, offload or whatever to improve his impact in attack and 2nd efforts in defence, but
he was almost alone last year for hitting the line with vigour and leg drive compared to many others who lumbered, stood there and watched and were flat footed.
1 year good extension decision as he is now reaching the age bracket to hit his peak as a front rower.
Agree , that would certainly help the man . Plus he will be able to draw upon the wealth of experience from the new recruits also - should make him into a better forward all round .

DamoV

Juniors
As an ex winger I’m certainly no expert on front rowers however I feel there are two types of props. Those that get to the defensive line quickly, and those that get their metres post contact. Ryles, C Smith and Weyman carried multiple guys and made good metres post. Lawrie gets 90% off his metres pre collision. Once in contact he often gets dominated. I love Lawries tenacity and effort. There were times last year he was the only one having a crack. OT but you take Fuimaono as an example, who looks tough, but dawdles to the line and then has no post metres.

Maddragon99

Juniors

rasaint

Juniors
Blake does have a go. I would have waited out to mid season to assess his progress and form. He has accepted a one year extension which means probably very low $$$. Also means he is around for the next 2 seasons.

Old Timer

Coach
Anyone remember what was said about Lawrie when James Graham arrived at the club?

Remember all the talk about them "doing extras" etc?

So why will he suddenly improve with a new set of mentors?

At 1st grade level you either have it or you don't.

He's not going to get any faster, nor stronger, nor taller, nor bigger so what you see is what you will get.

People keep harking back to a great performance in 1 game or a particular tackle or a hit up or 2 and that is the problem ie very good all round performances are few and far between.

If the full squad is fit he is a fringe 1st grader or an OK replacement for a couple of games.

SBD82

Coach
As an ex winger I’m certainly no expert on front rowers however I feel there are two types of props. Those that get to the defensive line quickly, and those that get their metres post contact. Ryles, C Smith and Weyman carried multiple guys and made good metres post. Lawrie gets 90% off his metres pre collision. Once in contact he often gets dominated. I love Lawries tenacity and effort. There were times last year he was the only one having a crack. OT but you take Fuimaono as an example, who looks tough, but dawdles to the line and then has no post metres.
Wingers? I remember you blokes. You’re the ones that hung out with footballers yeah?

I played mostly prop and second row. The attacking game as a Prop isn’t rocket science but you can mindf**k yourself into poor performances.

Getting to the line fast isn’t really a huge factor. When running at the line you need to focus on hitting the line so that you win the collision. Then find your front or offload. PCMs are only really valuable if you’re using momentum. If you’re struggling it just slows down the play the ball

But if you start preempting an offload or finding your front you won’t win the collision, and everything becomes much harder. Sounds simple to avoid, but us forwards aren’t known for our acute mental faculties.

denis preston

First Grade
Anyone remember what was said about Lawrie when James Graham arrived at the club?

Remember all the talk about them "doing extras" etc?

So why will he suddenly improve with a new set of mentors?

At 1st grade level you either have it or you don't.

He's not going to get any faster, nor stronger, nor taller, nor bigger so what you see is what you will get.

People keep harking back to a great performance in 1 game or a particular tackle or a hit up or 2 and that is the problem ie very good all round performances are few and far between.

If the full squad is fit he is a fringe 1st grader or an OK replacement for a couple of games.
Hard but fair.

DamoV

Juniors
Wingers? I remember you blokes. You’re the ones that hung out with footballers yeah?

I played mostly prop and second row. The attacking game as a Prop isn’t rocket science but you can mindf**k yourself into poor performances.

Getting to the line fast isn’t really a huge factor. When running at the line you need to focus on hitting the line so that you win the collision. Then find your front or offload. PCMs are only really valuable if you’re using momentum. If you’re struggling it just slows down the play the ball

But if you start preempting an offload or finding your front you won’t win the collision, and everything becomes much harder. Sounds simple to avoid, but us forwards aren’t known for our acute mental faculties.
One year I scored 28 tries and made 26 tackles, in the season!! So yep a true winger.

I hear all you say I just feel that Lawrie has great effort and attitude, he just doesn’t have the strength to bend the line. I don’t feel anyone is scared of tackling him.

He’s still young and definitely worth the extra year contract. Just might need some time in the gym.

Latest posts