What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

SnowDragon

Juniors
Probably a good indicator of why we narrowly avoided the spoon last year. His "110% effort" equals about 50% the impact of the better NRL forwards.
I sincerely hope Flanno can help him improve and will gladly eat my words if he does - but so far Blake's been average.
Sorry to disagree, and your welcome to your opinion, but that’s absolute total rubbish imho.

too often he was forced to stand alone, was forced to play longer minutes, and it brought out his best. That shows not only ability, but real ticker!

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry to disagree, and your welcome to your opinion, but that’s absolute total rubbish imho.

too often he was forced to stand alone, was forced to play longer minutes, and it brought out his best. That shows not only ability, but real ticker!
People aren’t questioning his ticker nor are they saying he didn’t give his best.

They are simply saying his best is well short of others that play prop.

since77

Juniors

This thread is doing my head in. I'm actually stunned how many people here actually think Blake's an above average footballer. He's not. Name a top 8 team from 2023 that Blake gets a starting jersey in. He might score a bench spot in the Knights or Raiders teams from 2023. There's no way he gets a spot in the elite squads.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to improvement because he's been cursed with abysmal coaching so far. Will he blossom under Flanno? Well I hope so and I'll happily cheer him on if he does.
But anyone who thinks Blake has been a shining light for us up until now has been watching different games of football to me. He's been a regular part of the softest forward pack in the NRL for the last 4 years or so. Ticker does not equal talent people........

Victoire

Juniors
But anyone who thinks Blake has been a shining light for us up until now has been watching different games of football to me.
Well now that you mention it... since the stats seem to say he was a shining light, and he took out the club's top award last year, and a lot of punters seem to be praising him... it's quite possible that this is the case.

Victoire

Juniors
There are also effort things he does on the field that do not show up on a stat sheet, but people who are watching the game will notice. For example.

Watch the kick pressure by Lawrie here. Last tackle, Dragons well in front. Lawrie still sprints from marker to pressure Boyd, but does it smart enough to not hit the bloke and give a penalty. Result kick goes out on the full.

giphy.gif

SnowDragon

Juniors
This thread is doing my head in. I'm actually stunned how many people here actually think Blake's an above average footballer. He's not. Name a top 8 team from 2023 that Blake gets a starting jersey in. He might score a bench spot in the Knights or Raiders teams from 2023. There's no way he gets a spot in the elite squads.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in regards to improvement because he's been cursed with abysmal coaching so far. Will he blossom under Flanno? Well I hope so and I'll happily cheer him on if he does.
But anyone who thinks Blake has been a shining light for us up until now has been watching different games of football to me. He's been a regular part of the softest forward pack in the NRL for the last 4 years or so. Ticker does not equal talent people........
Blocker a few years ago and I’d agree. 2022 he developed, last year was a huge step up. No point saying more. Different people have different opinions

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Unless he gets some more forwards this guy won’t make the end of the season.
burn out.
courage yes - he punches above his weight
But he’s not good enough for the consistency of 27 rounds

Phantom V

Juniors
Unless he gets some more forwards this guy won’t make the end of the season.
burn out.
courage yes - he punches above his weight
But he’s not good enough for the consistency of 27 rounds
I think we can do a lot worse than Blake Lawrie. Whilst not in the elite level of props, I saw a huge improvement in his game last year and as shown on the videos he’s always in the play doing the 1% ers.
He mentioned in the interview that he’ll be playing less minutes which should give us more of an insight into what he is capable of this year. I also believe the addition of Eisenheuth and Sele will improve our pack no end and I’m sure we’ll get to see some juniors shine this year.

Old Timer

Coach
I thought you were bailing this joint
At this point in time he hasn't coached a game yet so I am still around living in hope that he will make some admission and/or show some remorse which is all I ask.

If he hasn't by the start of the season then I will remain silent in this section of the forum until he either does, he leaves or gets punted.