What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bloke in a bar comments

Dragons154

Juniors
Hey guys,

Does/has anyone listen to the latest Bloke in the bar poddy?

Basically it’s just the boys going through the 2023 squads and ranking them, positives/ negatives etc.

Now obviously it’s pretty grim listening for us Dragon supports “forwards” with some glimmers of hope “backs”.

But one interesting thing to note is, we only have 3 players in Hunt, Sullivan and Lomax signed beyond 2024 with Bird having a mutual option from 2025.

surely this is quite rare?

And while in some circumstances this could be viewed as a massive negative, it would absolutely lend itself to a coach coming in 2024 and almost immediately having an impact on the roster “provided he is given that freedom…”

and while this might be all circumstantial and good timing, could the club perhaps have been forward thinking?

I would be leaning heavily away from the latter.

Anyway, it is an extremely exciting prospect. Especially if we can snare a top flight coach “Hasler” or an up and comer such as Dean young/ Ryles etc with possible links to superstar players.

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts….

possm

Coach
Hey guys,

Basically it’s just the boys going through the 2023 squads and ranking them, positives/ negatives etc.

Now obviously it’s pretty grim listening for us Dragon supports “forwards” with some glimmers of hope “backs”.

But one interesting thing to note is, we only have 3 players in Hunt, Sullivan and Lomax signed beyond 2024 with Bird having a mutual option from 2025.

And while in some circumstances this could be viewed as a massive negative, it would absolutely lend itself to a coach coming in 2024 and almost immediately having an impact on the roster “provided he is given that freedom…”

and while this might be all circumstantial and good timing, could the club perhaps have been forward thinking?

Anyway, it is an extremely exciting prospect. Especially if we can snare a top flight coach “Hasler” or an up and comer such as Dean young/ Ryles etc with possible links to superstar players.

I think it is a common thought amongst Dragon fans that the ground is being made ready for a Dean Young head coach era. Deals have been done and I can see no circumstances where this will not occur.

Dragons154

Juniors
I think it is a common thought amongst Dragon fans that the ground is being made ready for a Dean Young head coach era. Deals have been done and I can see no circumstances where this will not occur.

I agree and it’s what makes the most sense.

if that is true I guess we should all be hoping for the cowboys to kick on in 2023.

Dean is more than welcome to bring Robson, Nanai and a couple of forwards aswell 😂

st.phil

Bench
had a listen - some fair points partic re the forwards but their content is really just a regurgitation of the media narratives / tropes - which are partial truths at absolute best. So the tigers and doggies finally get their house in order and all of a sudden they are super clubs where lomax would be better? Come on.

I'm not saying "hold onto your hats we're headed to top 4" but I think with the younger players gaining some experience, tired ducks like macca, mcguire and sims moving on (Woods and Mbye would be great to add there but baby steps) and (hopefully) more certainty around coaching and direction of the club, that the team can improve next year.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I agree and it’s what makes the most sense.

if that is true I guess we should all be hoping for the cowboys to kick on in 2023.

Dean is more than welcome to bring Robson, Nanai and a couple of forwards aswell 😂
I cannot understand the fascination with Dean Young. His coaching experience is limited to assisting Mary, 2-3 seasons assisting Todd Payten and a short stint as stand in coach at Dragons, which was underwhelmingly awful. Hardly the credentials I would be looking for as head coach of an NRL team..untried, untested, limited experience...another train wreck waiting to happen.

Dragons154

Juniors
I cannot understand the fascination with Dean Young. His coaching experience is limited to assisting Mary, 2-3 seasons assisting Todd Payten and a short stint as stand in coach at Dragons, which was underwhelmingly awful. Hardly the credentials I would be looking for as head coach of an NRL team..untried, untested, limited experience...another train wreck waiting to happen.
As Opposed to a hook, Madge, potter type coach?

the only coach with any form of premiership winning experience that you’d think about touching would be Hasler, the rest are spoken for.

other than that you are really only left with inexperienced head coaches that are proven as assistant coaches. Such as your Ryles, Ciraldo, Webster and to a lesser extent Young.

Ciraldo is already spoke for and there is already massive hype around him considering his only coached a few games for the panthers after Hook was axed.
same goes for Webster, he was in the panthers system.

Adam O’brien and Trent Barrett are perfect examples that being a successful assistant coach under a Bellamy or Robinson isn’t a guarantee that you will be a good head coach.

I’d much prefer to put my chips on a younger generational coach willing to hedge his bets than an old, stuck in his way coach that believes dying with the ball on the last play while in the attacking zone is a positive game plan.

time to die wondering instead of one out football.

redv13

Bench
As Opposed to a hook, Madge, potter type coach?

the only coach with any form of premiership winning experience that you’d think about touching would be Hasler, the rest are spoken for.

other than that you are really only left with inexperienced head coaches that are proven as assistant coaches. Such as your Ryles, Ciraldo, Webster and to a lesser extent Young.

Ciraldo is already spoke for and there is already massive hype around him considering his only coached a few games for the panthers after Hook was axed.
same goes for Webster, he was in the panthers system.

Adam O’brien and Trent Barrett are perfect examples that being a successful assistant coach under a Bellamy or Robinson isn’t a guarantee that you will be a good head coach.

I’d much prefer to put my chips on a younger generational coach willing to hedge his bets than an old, stuck in his way coach that believes dying with the ball on the last play while in the attacking zone is a positive game plan.

time to die wondering instead of one out football.
I’d take Madge way before D Young

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey guys,

I like your optimism Dragon 154 and who knows , perhaps that is just the way it will pan out .

The quicker a new coach is appointed then the future will begin to look better - as long as he does have that freedom , as you mentioned .

possm

Coach
Yes but Crag Young and Peter Doust have done a deal that MUST be honored.