What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blowout scores a bore? Or an opportunity?

Iamback

Coach
You don't necessarily need NH teams for mid season tournaments. You have PNG, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and NZ which could make some awesome mid season games. It doesn't need to involve every country.

We definitely need more NH tests but that would have to be post season.

PNG's Goalkicker, Halfback and hooker play ib England
Fiji have a few up there too.

Could they compress the Challenge Cup across a month? That works then

Jim from Oz

Juniors
What if we had the group stage like how it is, but instead of now finals ( knock outs) it went into 2 groups of 4 again, where everyone played 3 games in their groups- top 2 of those playing qualifying finals. That way the tournament would consist of a majority of meaningful contests with the top nations playing against each other more. Basically 2 more weeks of quality games between different nations of higher standards.

Effectively 2 stages of world cup. The first where everyone like developing nations get an opportunity , then a resetting of the top 8 in 2 pools playing a refined contest over 3 weeks. Minors involved- more high quality contests.
Sorry but no, just keep the same format … that, plus meaningful international games/comps between WCs, plus quality international development programs, is the way to properly grow international RL.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
It's been lackluster, to the fact where I didn't bother watching the majority of the games or turned them off after 20 mins. Just read the majority of the social media comments...its nearly 2-1 in the negative. Also discussing with work colleagues, the majority who knew about the tournament agreed its been hard to get into. The main negative was the ease of tries that were being scored that was off putting. The margin between the top and bottom is the biggest it has ever been. The change in rules by adding the six again to speed up the game has had a massive impact.

If the quarter finals are close, and the semi finals are unpredictable then people will forget about the lopsided group stages.

Sadly to think we will see much improvement after the tournament is naive. History says that we are likely not to see one of the nations from this tournament again...like we have previously with South Africa, Russia and USA. The fact is there has been minimal to no announcement of tests for next season other than no mid season tests.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure what you are expecting TBH? We only have two professional leagues in the world. We are lucky we can have a World Cup really! All things considered to have the third biggest world cup in sport is a great achievement. I've enjoyed the theater and the effort even though the games have hardly been edge of the seat stuff. Hopefully that is to come. I cant wait to head over to France in 2025 to watch the next one, blow out games and all.

Coastbloke

Bench
This is why the WC is so important.

This is mostly a Northern Hemisphere problem. Remember when GB toured in 2019 and were beaten by NZ, Tonga and PNG (**sigh** a Tour)

Australia, NZ are top Tier 1 nations and deservedly so. PNG and Fiji are doing well with domestic development (please fix the Immigration beaucracy that stops PNG being Tier 1 like NZ) Tonga, Samoa and Cooks are basically heritage sides but still making IRL exciting.

Nothing else in the Southern Hemisphere is growing or doing anything (Hi South Africa)

But look at the Northern Hemisphere. You have England at a tier 1 and France at tier 1.25, but look at the countries in the NH playing!!

Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Serbia
Sweden
Norway
Jamaica
USA
Canada
Germany
Netherlands
Etc..

WC money needs to go to these areas. The Balkan Cup could have some potential. Regular well promoted games. Consistent Euro comps. The list goes on.

Yes, there’s annoying blowouts (that other sports suffer without scrutiny 😒) But WCs make money so these countries get better. Maybe Serbia can become the NH Tonga 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
It's been lackluster, to the fact where I didn't bother watching the majority of the games or turned them off after 20 mins. Just read the majority of the social media comments...its nearly 2-1 in the negative. Also discussing with work colleagues, the majority who knew about the tournament agreed its been hard to get into. The main negative was the ease of tries that were being scored that was off putting. The margin between the top and bottom is the biggest it has ever been. The change in rules by adding the six again to speed up the game has had a massive impact.

If the quarter finals are close, and the semi finals are unpredictable then people will forget about the lopsided group stages.

Sadly to think we will see much improvement after the tournament is naive. History says that we are likely not to see one of the nations from this tournament again...like we have previously with South Africa, Russia and USA. The fact is there has been minimal to no announcement of tests for next season other than no mid season tests.
You're basically just rehashing things you've already said like some negative broken record.
And your complaints are bizarre actually. Like you expect a couple of WC, then everyone pulls up even lol .
Australia's development started 2 world wars ago and you expect that gap to be filled while you charge your phone... it takes time and it's slow but it is happening. Our once great 3 nations are around 8 and that's been in just 20 years.
Our game is in rude health.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
8 nations 😄😄😄 Please Samoa and Tonga are 100% heritage....no development of local players...no tests at home...no elite junior development...just picking players on heritage....great improvement since 1995 RLWC.

Scotland, Ireland, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga and Lebanon have been playing in RLWC for over 20 years...where is the development/improvement on developing local talent? Nope just keep picking heritage players who more than likely never set foot in that country....great development strategy....

The only nations that have shown any development is PNG, Fiji and France in this time.

So when the next qualifying happens and the mighty Cook Islands team with all NZ and Australian born/developed players knock out USA or South Africa again....I'm sure the result will be true reflection of the Cook Islands developing there local players 🙄 😉

Can't wait to wait to see the Australian Italy side play their fourth RLWC.

This Year?

Immortal
I think the blowout scores are a bore, but also an opportunity. The developing nations very rarely get a chance to play against tier 1 nations and it shows them what level they need to be at to compete with them. What happens between World Cups is most important for these emerging nations. They can't just be left to their own vices in their local comps. They need more exposure to better teams more often to develop and learn their systems.
The thing that concerns me is anyone willing to throw money into an Australian tour of Jamaica for example.

Gobsmacked

Bench
8 nations 😄😄😄 Please Samoa and Tonga are 100% heritage....no development of local players...no tests at home...no elite junior development...just picking players on heritage....great improvement since 1995 RLWC.

Scotland, Ireland, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga and Lebanon have been playing in RLWC for over 20 years...where is the development/improvement on developing local talent? Nope just keep picking heritage players who more than likely never set foot in that country....great development strategy....

The only nations that have shown any development is PNG, Fiji and France in this time.

So when the next qualifying happens and the mighty Cook Islands team with all NZ and Australian born/developed players knock out USA or South Africa again....I'm sure the result will be true reflection of the Cook Islands developing there local players 🙄 😉

I'm glad you found your way to the appropriate thread.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

The NRL have done bugger all to bring on new nations unless they can make a profit or it is funded by the government.

jim_57

Staff member
I was a supporter of the format but I’d be just being stubborn if I didn’t admit I got a bit over the blowouts by the end of the pools. We probably need to look at other options that better suit where we are at.

A lot of people will suggest reducing teams but I’d keep it at 16 but go back to the successful formula of 2013 & 2017 but add an extra team each to Pools C & D. Split the seeding it to 4 groups of 4 and structure the pools as such:

A & B - 1, 1, 2, 3 (3 qualify for quarters)
C & D - 2, 3, 4, 4 (1 qualifies for quarters)

So based off this years results:
1 - Australia, NZ, England, Tonga
2 - Samoa, Fiji, PNG, Lebanon
3 - France, Ireland, Wales, Cook Islands
4 - Italy, Scotland, Jamaica, Greece/USA (likely to replace Greece in 2025 due to the qualifying format)

Pool A - Australia, England, Lebanon, Ireland (3 Progress)
Pool B - NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Wales (3 Progress)
Pool C - Fiji, France, Italy, USA (1 Progresses)
Pool D - PNG, Cooks, Scotland, Jamaica (1 Progresses)

Looks a lot more competitive and adds a few blockbusters to the pool games.

jim_57

Staff member
I prefer this format without the super pool. It makes the finals more interesting.

Not sure I agree with that. The same 8 teams would very likely have made the finals if they’d kept the Super Pool format of 2013 & 2017.

taste2taste

Juniors
We definitely need to go back to the tier 1 pool, tier 2 pool, emerging nations pool. It will give us competitive games and the same big 3 will always make it to the end.

The most important rule change moving forward would be for the 'emerging nations' pool to only be allowed a maximum of 4 heritage players. Greece, Jamaica, Lebanon... etc qualified using local talent, so why should those players loose thier spot to some Aussies who's grandmothers dog was born overseas, it's just plain embarrassing for the game. Surely it would do more to grow the game at home if the teams are made of home-grown talent. If they are in a pool together all games will be competive

IMO the USA should get automatic qualification just like they did in the soccer world cup. If we want to make a dent in the biggest sporting market in the world the USA needs to be in it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure I agree with that. The same 8 teams would very likely have made the finals if they’d kept the Super Pool format of 2013 & 2017.
I meant more from the point of view of keeping the big guns away from each other until the finals. We dont really know yet how good or not some of the finals qualifiers are and it makes for interesting 1/4 finals ahead. If Fiji had already been flogged by NZ, for example, the 1/4 final becomes less interesting.

jim_57

Staff member
I meant more from the point of view of keeping the big guns away from each other until the finals. We dont really know yet how good or not some of the finals qualifiers are and it makes for interesting 1/4 finals ahead. If Fiji had already been flogged by NZ, for example, the 1/4 final becomes less interesting.

Yeh I can see what you mean but double ups can happen under the format we have now. If any of the underdogs in the quarters win they’ll probably face a team from their pool again. As it stands Fiji have been rolled by England and Australia so we’ve got a fair idea of how they’ll go against NZ for example.

siv

First Grade
Few observations

We are seeing the old 6-again rule having the same effect as it did back in 2020

Also we have seen a further increase in the skill gap between the NRL and the rest of the world

England defy the Euro trend because they have increased NRL experience

jim_57

Staff member
IMO the USA should get automatic qualification just like they did in the soccer world cup. If we want to make a dent in the biggest sporting market in the world the USA needs to be in it.

2 Americas teams qualify for 2025 so USA have pretty much been gifted a spot along with Jamaica.