What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluebags versus the Berries !!

2 True Blues

Coach
www.newtownjets.com.au

Team sheet

Shaun Foley
Byron Ford
Damon Alley-Tovio
Toshio Laiseni
Rhys Pritchard
Luke Branighan
Ben Green
Steve Meredith
Tyrone Shelley
Ray Moujalli
Jimmy Andersen ©
Danny Howard
Rory Kostjasyn
Khalid Deeb
Luke Millwood
Hep Cahill
Albert Hopoate
Tevita Folau

Last edited:

2 True Blues

Coach
It was good to see a lot of jets keep the Roosters in top place, in that NRL Bulldogs clash though. Shows the reserve grade is holding their own after that. If not a little unpolished at times, still a good and valuable win. with star studded performaces from the who's who of the jets over the last couple of seasons coming good when it counted, while the SOO players looked on.

Jeffles

Bench
We led 18-4 but blew that with dropped ball missed tackles. A Luke Milwood drop goal (that cleared the crossbar by less than a metre) gave us a draw with less than a minute left.

D

Deleted member 10972

What are all these farewells for Luke Millwood? Is he leaving the club? And does that mean Ben Green is the permanent halfback?

2 True Blues

Coach
On www.newtownjets.com.au I noticed it said " farewell Luke "under that photo of the field goal he kicked.

Seems to be troubles like i commented on that other thread IMO...

19 all to 2nd last placed canterbury would also suggest the tank was running on empty last weekend. Though I heard FOLEY was injured early in the first half. ( so there is a positive right ??? ) :roll::?

2 True Blues

Coach
PS... And be thankful for the split round next weekend IMO. Good chance to put SOO behind us for another year, and get over some injuries prior to the business part of the season.

We need some players back. Frank Paul and PAEA are essential to our winning formula IMO.

D

Deleted member 10972

Luke Millwood left Jets because he was offered an NRL contract with NQLD Cowboys!

Good luck mate, played excellent for the mighty Bluebags, and proved his worth to such an extent that he has won himself a shot in the NRL!

Solves the Jets halfback conundrum with Ben Green probably getting a solo shot at it too. With Shackleton returning soon, expect Rudder to shift to 5-8, which will probably explain Branighan's departure. I do somewhat worry though, as Branighan and Millwood were the Jets most consistently successful halves pairing this year, but lets hope Rudder and Green can pull it off well.

2 True Blues

Coach
Solves the Jets halfback conundrum with Ben Green probably getting a solo shot at it too. With Shackleton returning soon, expect Rudder to shift to 5-8, which will probably explain Branighan's departure. I do somewhat worry though, as Branighan and Millwood were the Jets most consistently successful halves pairing this year, but lets hope Rudder and Green can pull it off well.

I really rate Ben GREEN from what I have seen of him mate. But as you mentioned ( some Q's Re the change of what seemed to have been a winning forumula are yet to be answered I suppose. ).

With RUDDER and GREEN playing together consistently we may just get back on track yet though.

Good to see Ben finally get a real chance now too. :cool:

I didnt notice much of RUDDER in that NRL game the other night Mack. Did he do much mate ??

PS... In either case they'll have to play well for us to be a chance this season. If drawing after leading 18/4 to the Bulldogs is anything to go off. The Berries were/are 2nd last, and had over one hundred less attack points, and had conceded over 100 more points against them. And we DREW with them, only just.

That hurt....

Last edited:

bluebag43

Juniors
2TB's after leading 18-4, I have been told we only got two sets in the last 25 minutes, so don't read too much into it.

Any side with the amount of possession the Bulladogs had will score points.

Good luck to Luke Millwood, again it proves that if you give your all when playing for Newtown, people in the "show" are watching and you eventually get rewarded.

As for Branighan, apparently did not react too well when he got dropped because of lack of form, and went to Cabramatta! No great loss!

D

Deleted member 10972

Lack of form? He seemed to be going pretty well, did ol' Branno.

Rudder was quiet for Roosters, 21 minutes, 15 tackles, 1 run for 5 metres. Nothing was expected from him, he really is too small to be a genuine backrow option, but with Myles, Fitzgibbon, Mason, Tupou all in State Of Origin, that is essentially our starting backrow gone. Lopini Paea, Setaimata Sa both shifted into prop and 5-8 to accomodate for other missing players, and out of our PL backrowers, Mickey Paea shifted into the FG team, and i assume Shackleton would have too, but he has been injured and thus Rudder was all we had left. He was signed by Jets to cover for Shack, hence being played in the backrow, but with the imminent return of Big Red, and with Branighan's apparent loss of form and departure, it seems ideal for Rudder to shift into a 5-8, a position where he has had plenty of experience in, and can provide depth with Ben Green at half, who finds himself first choice after the departure of the poor form Jai Ayoub, and the great form Luke Millwood to Cowboys.

By finals time, you could expect to see Jets line up with a team like:

Shaun Foley
Byron Ford
Brent Grose
Albert Hopoate
Tevita Folau
Sean Rudder
Ben Green
FP Nuuausala
Rory Kostjaysn
Steve Meredith
Mickey Paea
Shane Shackleton
Jimmy Anderson

Luke Gordon
Danny Howard or Hep Cahill (depending on form)
Khalid Deeb
Ray Moujalli

Good to see that this season, Matterson seems to be prioritizing form over status, hence why Roosters contracted players such as Jai Ayoub and Danny Howard have often been looked over for better performing Jets players such as Ben Green and Hep Cahill.

2 True Blues

Coach
2TB's after leading 18-4, I have been told we only got two sets in the last 25 minutes, so don't read too much into it.

Any side with the amount of possession the Bulladogs had will score points.

Good luck to Luke Millwood, again it proves that if you give your all when playing for Newtown, people in the "show" are watching and you eventually get rewarded.

As for Branighan, apparently did not react too well when he got dropped because of lack of form, and went to Cabramatta! No great loss!

Cheers for that BB43.

Heard we were a man short for the last ten minutes as well. Send off for a proffessional foul, lying on the player waiting for a tired defence to get back onside. :?

As for branigan I thought he did nothing to deserve being dropped, ( as I have said previously ), but anyone who want to carry on after being dropped aint worth the jersey IMO anyway, as anyone whose heart is not in wearing that jersey to me, can go elsewhere.

PS... Back to cabra. What a bitter step backwards for him though.

Oh well. Business end of the season is coming up.

2 True Blues

Coach
By finals time, you could expect to see Jets line up with a team like:

Shaun Foley
Byron Ford
Brent Grose
Albert Hopoate
Tevita Folau
Sean Rudder
Ben Green
FP Nuuausala
Rory Kostjaysn
Steve Meredith
Mickey Paea
Shane Shackleton
Jimmy Anderson

Luke Gordon
Danny Howard or Hep Cahill (depending on form)
Khalid Deeb
Ray Moujalli

Good to see that this season, Matterson seems to be prioritizing form over status, hence why Roosters contracted players such as Jai Ayoub and Danny Howard have often been looked over for better performing Jets players such as Ben Green and Hep Cahill.

Thanks Mack. I think in previous seasons Jets have not had a say in this area,( Sharks etc ), so it is good that it has been noted as a problem in previous years , and now been addressed, that player's get picked on form first. Glad to see it that way this season as well.

Hopa's defence worries me mate, but it is a fair side on paper. Having said that, Roosters will be playing finals football this season, so fingers crossed that injuries are not an issue come semi finals time. Depth is getting a little thinner it would appear when you draw with 2nd last Dogs. And the most important part of the season is just about to begin.

Had a bad vibe prior to the Dogs game. Actually thought we would lose it. We came as close as possible in hindsight IMO. Hope things get better after the split round week and we get some faces back.