What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Halves for 2013

6 and 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timka4

Bench
Bloody hell, it was Carney's first Origin series and people want him thrown to the wolves already? How many chances has Pearce been given? He's a younger Braith Anasta!
This, Carney had an alright debut series, not as good as everyone would have hoped but he did some ok things. If he can return from his achilles injury fine he should be there for the entire series unless a 5/8th is screaming for selection.

Campese in 09 was unfairly dropped, didn't have a great game but our forwards got absolutely dominated and Wallace's service from halfback was terrible.

hardbaby

Coach
I reckon it will be Carney and Pearce again. Would prefer it to be Carney and (Josh) Reynolds but the selectors will choose an organising half back and let's face it, there aren't that many good options around.

Big Pete

Referee
If a young player is going to step up, the one to watch is Sam Williams, IMO.

Wouldn't mind that pick. Still probably a little raw at this stage but clearly has the talent and could provide the Blues with some spark.

I'd at least give him a shot with Country.

Reynolds best hope of making the side is as a bench utility.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Adam Reynolds isn't a world beater, but from I've seen he's more level headed and a better organiser than Pearce. Good kicking game, too.

timka4

Bench
Our young halves (R, A Reynolds, Williams) still need to develope more and get more exposure to the NRL. Give them cracks at CvC like Pete suggested, but if it was up too me I wouldn't put them in the origin arena (if necessary) until they have each played at least 3 full years in the NRL (and assuming they are still playing well).

Until then we can use the likes of Pearce, Carney, Mullen, Campese, Wallace, Soward. But we should try and stick with a combination if possible.

Tone83

Juniors
Rabbitoh reynolds (don't know their first names) was honestly who I was thinking before opening the thread. I know he's green but I don't think I've seen him make a mistake, I think he's already one of the best halfbacks in the comp. Couldn't do worse than pearce, he's interchangable with any halfback from the qld cup. Halfbacks usually don't stand out to me but reynolds has just been so solid. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I'd just lock reynolds in as the blues half for the next 5 years, he's that much more promising than anyone else. Carney at 6.

RWB

Bench
Rabbitoh reynolds (don't know their first names) was honestly who I was thinking before opening the thread. I know he's green but I don't think I've seen him make a mistake, I think he's already one of the best halfbacks in the comp. Couldn't do worse than pearce, he's interchangable with any halfback from the qld cup. Halfbacks usually don't stand out to me but reynolds has just been so solid. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I'd just lock reynolds in as the blues half for the next 5 years, he's that much more promising than anyone else. Carney at 6.

Renyolds hasn't displayed any creative ball playing ability or vision and his selective passing has been woeful. I'm not saying he can't improve these areas but there's no way you 'lock someone in for 5 years' with that many questions hanging over their heads.

RHCP

Bench
Renyolds hasn't displayed any creative ball playing ability or vision and his selective passing has been woeful. I'm not saying he can't improve these areas but there's no way you 'lock someone in for 5 years' with that many questions hanging over their heads.
In addition, you don't 'lock someone in for 5 years' after 25 f**king first grade games.

The problem is Reynolds defends down the right side, granted it shouldn't be asking too much of Carney to switch to the left, but I'd prefer it if Carney played on the left for the Sharks, as most wider halfbacks do, like Widdop, Sezer, Foran and Sutton.

RWB

Bench
Where he defends is largely irrelevant, Carney has defended both left and right throughout his career. I really don't see this as an issue... are you suggesting his defence will turn to crap if he was to defend on a different side?

hardbaby

Coach
The thing about Carney is that he attacks. Josh Reynolds also takes the line on. Both guys are dangerous. We need that. To beat QLD you probably need to score at least 20 points/game so we need to pick attacking halves.

Pearce has been tried and fallen short repeatedly. Good first grade half back but lacking at the highest level. He just isn't good enough. Adam Reynolds is more of an organiser and played behind a very dominant pack. The Blues forwards are good but they won't dominate. He isn't ready yet.

Todd Carney/Josh Reynolds. Best option for mine.

RWB

Bench
The thing about Carney is that he attacks. Josh Reynolds also takes the line on. Both guys are dangerous. We need that. To beat QLD you probably need to score at least 20 points/game so we need to pick attacking halves.

Pearce has been tried and fallen short repeatedly. Good first grade half back but lacking at the highest level. He just isn't good enough. Adam Reynolds is more of an organiser and played behind a very dominant pack. The Blues forwards are good but they won't dominate. He isn't ready yet.

Todd Carney/Josh Reynolds. Best option for mine.

So who organises the side? Unfortunately we don't have a Cam Smith playing for us who can pick up the slack when needed. If you feel we need to create more points then just play Hayne at fullback, he's more creative than Reynolds anyway. An organising halfback is crucial and imo a necessity.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dont think its that crucial when we have Farah tbh. He was a little overwhelmed last series but I think he will be better for the experience and step up to a Cam Smith type role in 2013. After all we were 1 point away from beating them in 2012 and that certainly had 0 to do with Pearce organising the side.

hardbaby

Coach
So who organises the side? Unfortunately we don't have a Cam Smith playing for us who can pick up the slack when needed. If you feel we need to create more points then just play Hayne at fullback, he's more creative than Reynolds anyway. An organising halfback is crucial and imo a necessity.

I agree that you need someone to organise but you don't need a player who organises and does very little else. As a Dragons supporter, trust me, I know. I just watched Hornby and Soward organise all season and they completely f**ked their team.

Carney and Josh Reynolds can organise well enough, with Farah providing direction from dummy half. But we need halves that are dangerous if the outside backs are to shine. And that's just not Mitchell Pearce's game (that's why the dropped Anasta and signed Maloney).

DJShaksta

First Grade
The problem is Reynolds defends down the right side, granted it shouldn't be asking too much of Carney to switch to the left, but I'd prefer it if Carney played on the left for the Sharks, as most wider halfbacks do, like Widdop, Sezer, Foran and Sutton.

Carney plays 5/8 for the Sharks.

RWB

Bench
I dont think its that crucial when we have Farah tbh. He was a little overwhelmed last series but I think he will be better for the experience and step up to a Cam Smith type role in 2013. After all we were 1 point away from beating them in 2012 and that certainly had 0 to do with Pearce organising the side.

Farah has never shown the ability to organise a side, it's why the Tigers have been such a rabble. Both Benji & Farah are creative players. Being forced to organise takes away from what they do best and I see the same thing happening if we just play two 5/8's in the halves.

Ladmate

Bench
Farah has never shown the ability to organise a side, it's why the Tigers have been such a rabble. Both Benji & Farah are creative players. Being forced to organise takes away from what they do best and I see the same thing happening if we just play two 5/8's in the halves.

Farah carried the Tigers in 2007 and arguably got robbed of the Dally M. Just because Farah is creative doesn't mean he can't organise. The tigers being a rabble has to do with a lot of things, but not Farah.

watatank

Coach
Some of the halves play left a lot to be desired but I think the key will be taking some of the focus away from Gallen and Bird. Even if the halves change there's no guarantee they will be able to bring other players into the game.

Latest posts