What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Body fat %

[furrycat]

Coach
In my opinion BMI is a crock of sh*t especially if you are doing weights/strength work, as it assumes basically everything on you is bad fat. Body fat % and lean muscle mass is the go! The best way to do it is a skin fold test or an electronic one where it sends pulses through you, but there are some calculators which are MOSTLY accurate (although sometimes can be off).

For me:

Height: 194cm
Weight: 90KG

Your Results
You have 7% body fat.
You have 6.3 Kilograms of fat and 83.7 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

Give it a try

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

[furrycat]

Coach
Should say though you can expect the result to be varied from about 3-5% or so for males due to the fact it is only measurements not a sure thing.

Jono078

Referee
You have 26.5% body fat.
You have 62.8 Pounds of fat and 174.2 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

I don't think that's too good.. Anyway, definitely working on it, motivation is tough though to keep it up longer than 2 weeks for me, but i'll re-visit this thread and hopefully show improvement.

[furrycat]

Coach
Male athletes/active sportspeople are usually 4-12%, and healthy is considered 12 to 20% or so.

Apey

Staff member
18.4% using my scales at home that do the electronic pulse thing.

18 years old, 83kg. Not exactly overweight but would prefer to be much less of course.

I'll try out that link when I find out tape measure.. lol.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I've tried a body fat test using a vibrating device + the cords that connect/stick your body.
It was maybe 3/4 of a year ago at uni but fairly sure it was 15% - 20 yo

It would be less now as ive stepped up the gym for the footy season ahead

bartman

Immortal
Height: 175cm
Weight: 85kg

You have 22.8% body fat.
You have 19.4 Kilograms of fat and 65.6 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

Male athletes/active sportspeople are usually 4-12%, and healthy is considered 12 to 20% or so.
Happy enough with that then, I could lose a little bit if I was a bit more vigilant with the food intake :D.

Wouldn't want to lose heaps though, I'm not aspiring to athlete/Bruce Lee levels.

Dutchy

Immortal
I cringed when my Uni lecturer started talking about BMI in Nutrition Development and Performance the other day, I then proceeded to giving her a 5 minute lecture about why using BMI is useless and her teaching was sub-standard.

JoeD

First Grade
Height: 175cm
Weight: 77KG

You have 16.8% body fat.
You have 12.9 Kilograms of fat and 64.1 Kilograms of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

adamkungl

Immortal
I cringed when my Uni lecturer started talking about BMI in Nutrition Development and Performance the other day, I then proceeded to giving her a 5 minute lecture about why using BMI is useless and her teaching was sub-standard.

:lol: nice.

age 21, 74kg, 173cm

11% body fat

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
but im pretty sure the answer would just read 'fatty boomba' :lol:

Danish

Referee

BMI is still a perfectly good measurement for your average person.

People like to point at footballers and other heavily muscled people to show why BMI is "useless".... but on your average person who might hit the gym a couple times per week (or not) it gives a reasonable measure of your general health and well being.

Take Wii Fit for example. I've not put a family member on it who's BMI assessment turned out to be a shock. The overweight were overweight and the fit and healthy were in the right weight zone.

Once you are much more into your fitness then sure, go for a body fat percentage test etc, but for someone just starting out or only into light exercise, it works just fine IMO.