What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bogut could soon have everyone offside.

Choppies

Coach
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71259

Bogut could soon have everyone offside
Wednesday Nov 9 15:00 AEST
OPINION | By Julian De Stoop
National Nine News sports reporter

Andrew Bogut, the 213cm giant from Endeavour Hills in Melbourne, has made a good start to his career in NBA basketball.

The 20-year-old, who shot to fame after being selected with the number one pick by the Milwaukee Bucks in June's NBA draft, has played a key role in two of the Bucks' three victories so far this season.

In his first game against the Philadelphia 76ers, Bogut scored 13 points and hauled down nine rebounds, while in his second game against the New Jersey Nets he scored 10 points and collected an impressive 17 rebounds.

Every indication is that Bogut will be a star in one of the world's most high profile sporting leagues, the NBA, something no other Australian has been able to do.

Another giant, Luc Longley, has been our most successful player in the NBA. He played in three championship teams with the Michael-Jordan-led Chicago Bulls, but was never a star.

Chris Anstey, Mark Bradke, Shane Heal and Andrew Gaze all had short stints in the NBA but never made a significant impact.

If Bogut lives up to all the hype, he will enjoy a profile as high as other leading exports Greg Norman and Harry Kewell. Bogut has the chance to be the first Australian to dominate in one of the US's three big sports, basketball, baseball and gridiron. It's frightening how big and how popular and how marketable he could be.

But if his first few months in the spotlight are anything to go by, he would be well advised to let his basketball do the talking. Bogut hasn't exactly endeared himself to the Australian public with his comments in recent times.

For example, in the lead-up to the NBA draft, he was asked to compare himself to his fellow countryman Luc Longley.

"I've had a better collegiate career than anyone else from Australia that came over here," Bogut said. "I'm not as slow as Luc Longley, I'm more athletic, I can shoot better, I'm more competitive. So I think it's not even fair to bring that name up."

Understandably, Longley wasn't impressed. "I'm disappointed for him that he has made such a clumsy start," he said. "He's inexperienced and got caught out. I'd like to see him do well and if he's as good as he says he is — and I'm expecting genius — he should make it. But the signs are not good so far."

While Bogut clearly got the Australian public and Longley offside with his comments, he also doesn't seem popular with some of his teammates in the Australian basketball team.

"I would like to think there are three or four Aussies better than him [Bogut] right now," Chris Anstey said. "If he reaches the potential that Luc did, with three rings, then he will have done well."

Fast forward a few months and it seems Bogut has put his foot in his mouth again just at a time when he was receiving praise for the start he has made to his NBA career.

He said in the New York Times this week: "There's a lot of pressure from Australia … The first two games it was good to get some numbers to shut up the media. There are people who don't want me to succeed. People in Australia who don't like that I'm proud of my Croatian heritage, maybe people in Croatia who don't like that I'm from Australia."

Keep this up and Bogut will soon have everyone offside.

Australians love to see their sportsmen succeed overseas, but that's exactly what they want them to be — sportsmen. They want athletes who are humble, respectful of their fellow countrymen and proud of their country.

Sadly it appears Bogut is none of these things.

We all know NBA players and American sportsmen in general are brash and sometimes outspoken, but there is a fine line. If Bogut continues to criticise those who have gone before him and his country, we will all be wishing he doesn't succeed, which would be sad. His achievements should make us proud, not wince.

If he isn't careful he could follow in the footsteps of Aaron Baddeley. The young Victorian golfer had the world at his feet when he won two Australian Opens before the age of his 20. But his brashness and perceived arrogant attitude, rightly or wrongly, quickly turned the Australian public off him.

Basketball officials in this country will certainly be hoping Bogut learns to bite his tongue. The game in this country is at an all-time low, with no free-to-air TV coverage and falling attendances. The game desperately needs a star and, on ability alone, Bogut fits the bill, but unfortunately his attitude doesn't at this stage.

In his favour is that he's only 20 years old and has plenty of time to learn. Hopefully he will, because he has so much to lose.

Personally I think Anstey's comments about there being better Australian Basketballers is just a case of sour grapes from a once NBA reject. Weather Bogut goes well or not is really up to him. I think he can go far and bring Milwaukee (providing they keep him and the team) a championship in years to come.

J-Man

Juniors
Choppies said:

For example, in the lead-up to the NBA draft, he was asked to compare himself to his fellow countryman Luc Longley.

"I've had a better collegiate career than anyone else from Australia that came over here," Bogut said. "I'm not as slow as Luc Longley, I'm more athletic, I can shoot better, I'm more competitive. So I think it's not even fair to bring that name up."

Understandably, Longley wasn't impressed. "I'm disappointed for him that he has made such a clumsy start," he said. "He's inexperienced and got caught out. I'd like to see him do well and if he's as good as he says he is — and I'm expecting genius — he should make it. But the signs are not good so far."

Everything Bogut says is the truth.

If people like Anstey and Longley want to have a sook then fine, but you can't blame Bogut for saying those things. There is nothing wrong with having some confidence and speaking your mind.

People seem to think Longley is some basketball god, when all he did was catch a ride on Michael Jordan's coat tails. Don't get me wrong, without Longley basketball may not have received the exposure it did down here, and he paved the way for many young Aussie basketballers to play in the US, but he really was not that great a player.

4 games into an NBA career and I'd say Bogut is already a better player. Give him a couple of years and he will surpass Gaze as our best ever.

Morenito

Juniors
It may well be true but its stuff that doesnt need to be said.

I think everyone knows that he is a much better player then what Luc Longley was but he doesnt need to tell and give a reason to us as to why he is.

You can show class by not saying that stuff and instead showing respect to other great Australian players whilst showing your stuff on the court.

Choppies

Coach
J-Man said:
Everything Bogut says is the truth.

If people like Anstey and Longley want to have a sook then fine, but you can't blame Bogut for saying those things. There is nothing wrong with having some confidence and speaking your mind.

People seem to think Longley is some basketball god, when all he did was catch a ride on Michael Jordan's coat tails. Don't get me wrong, without Longley basketball may not have received the exposure it did down here, and he paved the way for many young Aussie basketballers to play in the US, but he really was not that great a player.

4 games into an NBA career and I'd say Bogut is already a better player. Give him a couple of years and he will surpass Gaze as our best ever.

Here Here
Longley was a very fortunate person to be on the Jordan train to 3 championships. What did he do in Minnesota in his time there? I don't seem to recall him doing much. What did Anstey do in Dallas? anything of note? NO
Wheras with Bogut the Bucks will build a team around him and Redd, and if Bogut wins an NBA championship he would have done it all himself and not hitching rides from NBA Legends.

The Dodger

First Grade
Morenito said:
It may well be true but its stuff that doesnt need to be said.

I think everyone knows that he is a much better player then what Luc Longley was but he doesnt need to tell and give a reason to us as to why he is.

You can show class by not saying that stuff and instead showing respect to other great Australian players whilst showing your stuff on the court.

bogut was asked to compare himself to longley.

what was he gonna say? no comment?

and so far he has proven his word.

Choppies said:
"I would like to think there are three or four Aussies better than him [Bogut] right now," Chris Anstey said. "If he reaches the potential that Luc did, with three rings, then he will have done well."

this is coming from a guy who tried to make it in the NBA but failed...

oh yeah, having micheal jordan on your team, and being along side the bulls during there era of dominence doesnt exactly mean sh*t.

like choppies said, what accomplishments did he make while at the timberwolves?

Kakihara

Juniors
I agree with the article except the part which requires him to win 3 championships. Most of you guys wont agree with it because your all bogut fans. I didnt see anything wrong with being compared with longley the only other australian that the general nba fan has ever heard of. He'll look like a superstar in few years if the only comparison to him is longley.

thewizard1o1

Juniors
I think his comments are quite American, if he has an American PR guy this is the kind of things they would expect from him to raise the sponsor intrest in him. Just about every American college star always think they are going to be the worlds greatest player, it just shows the diffence in cultures imo...

J-Man

Juniors
thewizard1o1 said:
I think his comments are quite American, if he has an American PR guy this is the kind of things they would expect from him to raise the sponsor intrest in him. Just about every American college star always think they are going to be the worlds greatest player, it just shows the diffence in cultures imo...
Agreed.

Remember it's not just some kind of anti-Aussie thing he has going. Before he even played a game in the NBA he called future Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant overrated, and put himself in the Bucks starting line-up before even being selected in the draft.

He just has the type of American confidence, that Australians do not like in a sportsman.

aqua_duck

Coach
Lets put all this in context. He made those lead up comments leading into the draft, I mean all the guys in the draft want to tell the clubs how good they are. I mean an NBA scout wouldn't really be too impressed if Bogut said I'm not as good as Luc Longley blah blah blah, he'd be saying I'm vying for the top pick in the draft but I'll never average more than 10 points a game.
The Kobe Bryant comments were also taken out of context because of his admiration for Shaq, he just bsaid what everyone else knows that Kobe was stupid for driving out the diesel, all he said was that Kobe was abit overa retd blah blah blah because if he were in such na position he'd do everything Shaq asked of him including shopping for his groceries.

As for Chris Anstey, I don't know what the hell he's smoking, surely if there were 3 or 4 better aussies than they'd be in the NBA. I mean he's tried and failed, same with Bradtke, the rest couldn't even get a start. The job Bogut did on DUncan in 2004 Olympics was excellent considering he was a 19 year old up against arguably the premier player in the world. The only other Aussie who's anywhere near the NBA is Luke Schencher, and he nominated for the draft this year and couldnt even get drafted, where as Bogut went numero uno.
Whether people like it or not this guy will be the boomers main man for the next 15 years, with a few seasons of NBA ball under his belt he'll help propel the boomers to one of the best teams in the world and hopefully take us away from the mediocrity that is Chris Anstey and co.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the blokes a complete tit, arrogent son of bitch, but he he is pretty bang on with most of what he has said...

edabomb

First Grade
I have no qualms with what he said. Hes the one thats going to have to back it up and the end of the day, and hes doing a reasonable job thus far.

simostorm

Bench
Bogurt is just confident in himself he knows what he is, good on him.
Longley and ANstey are sooky little bitchs.

The Dodger

First Grade
the guy can play, and good on him for saying what he did. he was asked the question and he answered it in the way he believed. but he shouldn't get too over confident with himself.

look at what happened to cobey...

Remember it's not just some kind of anti-Aussie thing he has going. Before he even played a game in the NBA he called future Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant overrated, and put himself in the Bucks starting line-up before even being selected in the draft.

haha u gotta love him for saying Kobe is over-rated i would of said the same thing :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
he is scary now (maybe ugly looking)...he had his nose busted and had to have surgery and will have to wear a protective face mask for 6 weeks.

Mr Saab

Referee
i wouldnt count on it reaching 3 figures anytime in the next 10 yrs.
Wont reach anything like a Jordan 84/5 Star card....or 86/7 Fleer card.