What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bookies no Souths fans

Bookies no Souths fans

By Christian Nicolussi | March 07, 2008 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

SOUTH Sydney have once again been snubbed by bookies who have rated them outsiders to beat the Sydney Roosters in the explosive NRL season opener next weekend. TAB Sportsbet will today release its round-one markets with coach Jason Taylor's men even money chances to beat the Roosters ($1.80).
Rabbitohs fans will be outraged given Souths only last week won the Charity Shield and, with Craig Wing back on deck, have been in blistering form during the pre-season.
But according to Souths enforcers Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell, they had one simple message for fans: "We don't care what the bookies think."
Asotasi said he was looking forward to muscling up against good mates and former Bulldogs teammates Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason.
"We don't care if we're the underdogs, it's not something we think about. If the Roosters are favourites that's their problem.
"All we know is we're keen to win the first game and start the season well.
"I"m sure Willie and Mark will try to put some big hits on me, and I'll be doing the same to them, but we'll have a good laugh afterwards."
Kidwell, who said he stripped fitter for the Charity Shield hitout, said Taylor had plenty of players to choose from this season which reflected the great depth at the once-struggling club.
"And it's a good thing I don't bet. It's up to the punters what they bet on, we'll just stick to the footy," he said.
TAB Sportsbet's Glenn Munsie said Souths fans would be happy to take the bigger odds and could not see the Rabbitohs earning favouritism.
He said the new signings of Mason and O'Meley, as well as the return of Minichiello, added to the glamour and appeal of the Roosters.
"Souths are once again outsiders and, even though they won last week, they were unable to start favourites against the Dragons either," Munsie said.
"The Roosters do have a good side on paper, but sometimes that doesn't mean much in a game. They did give it to Souths in the final round last year."
Munsie expected the Bulldogs to attract plenty of bets given they were at juicy odds against Parramatta, who will be missing Jarryd Hayne.
Petero Civoniceva believes Penrith are more than capable of springing an opening-round upset against his old club in Brisbane.
The powerhouse prop, who is enjoying life at the foot of the Blue Mountains after churning out 10 wonderful years at the Broncos, said teams always lifted when they arrived in Queensland's capital.
North Queensland coach Graham Murray said despite his side remaining firm $9 second favourites for the competition, his troops were entitled to be underdogs for the Gold Coast clash.

JB

Juniors
Put a lazy $50 on you guys for the title. Paying $22 at the NZ TAB at the moment (ranked 12th). $1100 payout. So if it's not going to happen for the Warriors this year i'm backing you guys all the way. Here's hoping for a Warriors/Rabbito's GF.

bunny hop

Juniors
I wouldn't worry too much about the 'experts' opinions.They obviously see souths the way we were,when our management thought the nrl was a chook raffle,when we let go juniors that are now the stars of the nrl,when other fans say we averaged 4000 when in fact a very loyal & devoted fan base of about 10000 went to most games (considering our form of the last 19 years this was a fairly good turn out).I don't think the average fan or the so called experts realise the changes that have occured over the last 12 months.Lets just sit back & enjoy the good odds, the good results & the good story that is south sydney

Dave Q

Coach
We were meant to come 12th or worse last season as the so-called experts couldnt believe that we could get the retained players firing so well and we didnt have enough marquee imports.

Those in the know, knew otherwise.

Insiders in the club now are whispering top 4 with a great deal of conviction.

This is a formidable squad. Its almost scary.

Sugar

Bench
Dave Q said:
We were meant to come 12th or worse last season as the so-called experts couldnt believe that we could get the retained players firing so well and we didnt have enough marquee imports.

Those in the know, knew otherwise.

Insiders in the club now are whispering top 4 with a great deal of conviction.

This is a formidable squad. Its almost scary.
Im scared Dave this is the best team we have had for a looooooong time.

I may need your help throughout the year,success can have a weird affect on some;-)

Dave Q

Coach
Yes, the engine has been tricked and we are watching the remnants of the dust settling on the hood before we start her up.

My sons of 2006, the blokes I was going absolutely spare about (in accolades) last year, theyve improved over the off season and then some.

The 2007 recruits, a year under their belt and a new player David Kidwell whom I had the opportunity to meet a few weeks ago and thank for all his work in getting himself into the finals last year. He seemed very pleased to hear that first hand by a humble fan.

Craig Wing, the prodigal son returns. Still one of the best players in the comp. He adds so much more in attack and defence.

The young guns, Pettybourne, Paea, Luke and Talaona. They set the whole league alight last year. What will they do now?!

The likes of Simpson, Taminika, Ndair, Huihaha.

The mighty comeback of Greenfield, Geddes is the biggest and wildest Ive ever seen him.

The speed and agility of Nathan Merritt, the class of Vags, the sheer raw power of Buddy Gorden who I think is at last coming to grips with his celebrity as hundreds of devoted fans lined up to meet him.

Asotasi...the name says it all. Probably the best player in the world.

Ben Rogers ..his best season ever last year, by a long shot. All of his promise emerging, his flick pass, his standing up of mad dog.

I havent reaached my favourite.. Jeremy Smith. Theres a lot of reasons why I like this guy. We cant expect him to be a Joey Johns overnight, but by his own standards, he has improved without measure. Hes an international now. He knows he has a lot of support and I'm confident that he's going to explode this year!

Fa'alago and Manese are two massive yet electrically mobile forwards. The see and they kill on sight!

Widders, Sutto....elite footballers in their own right.

Coached by somebody who knows what they are doing with the best support and recruitment people in the league.

Jt has been just outstanding as has Shane Richardson to whom we owe a lot.

Then we get to Phac and Rusty. They dont just talk the talk, they deadset walk the walk. Thats what I really like about them. bullsh*t free leadership. They promised to make us the best and they are delivering. All power to the boys.

I could go on, but Im still at work and I want to get home before dawn!

So lets take this baby out and blow the other teams off the road!!